• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nothing tastes good, don't want to end up back in hospital

I'm sure many of you have read by now my very longstanding problems with being severely underweight. I just spent five weeks in hospital. They confirmed that my problem is not just that I feel too ill to eat enough, and that I worry about eating because I know it is not good for my digestive system, but that I also need more calories than I should (i.e. I need to eat more than someone of my height, weight, activity level, etc. should need in order to gain), but they are not sure why.

I've basically maintained weight in the couple of weeks I've been home, but I am still so dangerously underweight, I'll be back in hospital sooner or later if I can't gain and my doctor keeps monitoring me. But I am so full all the time, and nothing tastes good. Eating is just miserable.

I'm having all the supplements, but they just seem sickly sweet and fill me up also. My digestive system couldn't tolerate NG feed. I have to eat low-fibre and avoid things that will block my stoma.

I just don't know what to eat?! I know I've asked before, I know no one here can probably help much with the medical side, but I'd just like some more suggestions of meals/foods - things that are easy to prepare, and not filling! I'm just hoping that if I try enough new things I'll find something that goes down ok. I tend to find particular foods/meals that I really like, eat them frequently for a time, but then suddenly find I can't face them. But at the moment, I can't face anything, I'm trying to find new foods to be my regulars, trying both things I liked in the past and new things as well, but I just can't seem to find anything I can stand right now.

What a crappy situation. Personally I like soup, chicken noodle/potato are my faves. The downside is that while they aren't very filling they aren't packed with calories either. (Though the potato soup has more). I guess something with call you can eat is better than nothing. I will try and think of other things.

Hugs

Do you have a slow cooker by any chance? I make a nice mild curry in mine, using coconut milk and curry powder for the base and then I use potatoes, chicken and mushrooms in it, although you could use pretty much any meat or veg that you like and which agrees with you. If you use full fat coconut milk then it's quite calorific, and I don't find it overly filling.

I don't know if you like puréed foods or not but I have really started to enjoy soups made from yam, squash, pumpkin or potato or any other smashed and super cooked veg for different flavors, with garlic, ginger and other spices. Also, blending up banana or plantain and frying it with honey and cinammon is amazing. If you can handle any oils add it in to increase calories as well.

When I go through times I can't eat I get whatever I want, be it orange chicken with steamed rice, or nachos (nothing spicy, and no raw veggies) and I eat it VERY slow. if it tastes good sometimes you can trick youreself into taking a bit every once in awhile without noticing and suddenly a few hours later you ate a whole meal and never felt full!

I don't often to the super bland stuff like baby food or other blended things, I find it reinforces the whole "all food is nasty" feeling. I got advice from a GI awhile ago that told me if it sounds good I should eat it- eating something is better than nothing. What sounds good? If veggies sound good maybe do a veggie stir fry to get it all easier to digest?

my little penguin

Staff member
A while ago for DS we used my fitness pal -
Obviously you need the extra calories but it can help you see what your getting for the day.
We hid extra full fat things in other foods to up his calories .
Not familiar with stoma issues -
Lots of mini meals every two hours while awake

Peanut butter toast with butter underneath .
High protein/high fat ( avacados , olive oil ( on cooked veggies. Vs plain).
Buy whey protein powder to mix in mashed potatoes or baked potatoes .
Mix eggs with oatmeal cinnamon small amount of sugar - baked
Or eggie covered toast .
Nut butters with puffed rice cereal eggs honey - bake - freeze - homemade granola.
Unflavored peptamen or other supplement used instead of water for cooking with things .
Almond milk banana nut butter smoothie ( or coconut also high fat )
Nutrionally dense food is your friend right now .

Hi there, so sorry you are having a yuck time. You have to eat, you have to nourish your body. I know you already know this. So ~ you have to start someplace
I have severe weight issues too. I am sappose to eat, consume, ingest a ridiculous number of calories a day. Honestly, i just can't do it. So, I just keep trying different things. I know a lot of people don't like the thought of supplement drinks, and i am sure you have tried them all. BUT, i just started a new combo this week and so far so good. I had been using the Boost in powder form and adding to organic milk (kinda a 50/50 organic no organic split) it was not doing much. Then I added Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein 15g with amino acids plus. It is true to form and easy to digest just like it says. Seriously one of the best protein supplements I have ever tried. It is not gooey, or thick and really does not taste bad. You can mix a small glass, or whatever size you can handle with the measured amount. I mix a smaller glass so I don't have to drink so much. also you can put it in smoothies, shakes, etc. Shop around for best price.
I am always on the hunt for adding something to my daily intake for better health. I make a huge effort. I totally understand what it is like to not be hungry, but the longer you go the harder it gets. I have to try and find what taste right, what digest right and what won't haunt me the rest of the day/night.
I know you have heard everything else, hope my above tip, try, might help you too. For now it is helping me.

Ask your Dr. about adding extra fat, since we can get gallstones fairly easily.
Take care.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Can you eat any veg at all depending on how it's prepped?
Yes, I can eat well-cooked root veg like carrots and swede.

I don't often to the super bland stuff like baby food or other blended things, I find it reinforces the whole "all food is nasty" feeling. I got advice from a GI awhile ago that told me if it sounds good I should eat it- eating something is better than nothing.
I eat baby food fruit pots sometimes - I can't stand baby food veg though! I think you're right, that baby food can sometimes feel the way drinking Ensures feels - like you're not eating real food, it's just a medicine you're taking, so you almost expect it to be not great.

It's funny that I've been advised sometimes to just eat whatever sounds good - so if you feel like ice cream for breakfast or whatever, you just have it. But then others have said that you shouldn't even try to find something you fancy, because if you're not feeling like eating anything at all, you'll end up having nothing, and so recommend that you do just have to treat food like medicine, and have set meals planned out, so you don't have to think about it - you just eat what you've planned. I think I prefer the first option, your GI's recommendation. If only I can find enough things I feel like!

I'm just going to ramble for a bit. I don't expect everyone to read it all, I'm just getting my thoughts out.

I'm kind of torn between whether I should be trying to come up with nice, supposedly tasty, things to eat, or eat whatever's in the house that needs using up. I feel kind of resentful - though resentful towards whom, I'm not sure - that I spend money on food that I'm not going to enjoy. Not that money is a massive deal right now, it's just that I've bought some fairly nice chocolate and puddings and things, and then just end up feeling ill half-way through eating them, and it seems like a waste when I could give them to someone who'd enjoy them. But then when I stick to the basic stuff, bread, cereal - and lots of the Tesco Everyday Value range (cheap supermarket range in the UK) - then I wonder that it's not surprising I don't like it.

I've also started worrying about the overall healthiness of my diet. As I said, (a million times probably ;) ) I can't eat fibre, and I also can't be filling myself up on low-calorie foods, so my fruit and vegetable intake is poor, I eat refined foods instead of wholegrains. I wanted to get some cereal bars to give myself a break from chocolate bars sometimes, but they're all full of nuts and seeds and dried fruit and crunchy grains, and would just make me very sick. I've been wondering if Nutrigrain bars would be ok? They're kind of a soft texture, more like cake texture. Or maybe some of the kids cereal bars that are made from Rice Krispies and things. The two standard healthy yet low fibre and high calorie foods seem to be peanut butter and avocados - which I used to really like but now I don't want them.

I'm doing my online supermarket shopping order today, and have no idea what I want to get. The family meals are planned for the week, but I need to get things for my snacks - snacks that I suppose have to be quite substantial, as I can't manage big meals, and eat around five small meals/large snacks a day instead.

I don't understand why this is becoming such a big problem for me now. When I was in hospital, I was putting it down to the disgusting hospital food (it really was disgusting). But now I'm home and can have what I want, when I want, and I don't want anything. I've been reading while I eat, to distract myself, but it's not helping much. I've long had problems with feeling too full or worrying food's going to make me ill, but behind that I have always still recognised that I like the tastes of many foods, and the positive feeling of comfort-eating. I don't understand what changed when I was admitted to hospital. Is this a psychological thing? Or did they do something to me when I was in hospital that changed things physically - I reacted very badly to the NG feed, or maybe I just ate so much I did some damage?

And I keep thinking that I could keep making myself eat, and it still might not do enough good to keep me out of hospital.

Ramble on, food can be incredibly difficult. I do our family grocery shopping and buy incredibly good looking, tasting, healthy items. I find that no matter how good it may be, my hungry can be squashed by nausea or i just don't know what at times. Something i thought i could or would like becomes totally gross. Also, i have found things i really liked, ate far too many of and can't face them anymore ~classic law of diminishing returns~ Possibly, what happens in the hospital could be a combination of things, odors, bland food, medicine mouth, lack of sleep, etc. It can effect hunger, at least it did mine. The weakness felt when you finally get out is incredible sometimes.
I don't know UnXmas, it is so much more then 'just eat'. So much can be affected, from the psyche, the way it smells, texture, how it sits once within, and on... At my lowest weight i was desperately trying, did the ice cream, high fats, sweets, etc. My opposite of my norm and nothing was helping, until i really went balls out, against my norm gave in and ate what i never thought i would. It sat well, so each day i had 1, then 2 a day. With time, I finally started gaining and went from a bmi of 14 up to a 16. I look back and now & think a part of the confusion of what to eat or do was the low body weight itself. In lacking so much in nutrition it had a similar effect of dehydration. It is such a hard place to be in with this illness ~ somehow, someway, something will finally click into place and things will get better.I still struggle with weight. The efforts behind it are huge and no one understands unless it is happening to them. It is difficult but you are amazingly strong and i just know you will triumph!

I do our family grocery shopping and buy incredibly good looking, tasting, healthy items. I find that no matter how good it may be, my hungry can be squashed by nausea or i just don't know what at times. Something i thought i could or would like becomes totally gross. Also, i have found things i really liked, ate far too many of and can't face them anymore ~classic law of diminishing returns~ !
This describes me exactly. Suddenly I just can't stand something anymore, and I can't even say why, I just can't. Or I start eating something and it just feels all wrong.

until i really went balls out, against my norm gave in and ate what i never thought i would. It sat well, so each day i had 1, then 2 a day.
What were the things you'd never thought you'd eat? I have tried that approach, kind of, but I worry about wasting food, I don't want to buy things that I then can't bring myself to eat, or try eating and then can't finish.

Thank you so much for replying. It's rare to find people who struggle to gain weight, when so many people have the opposite problem. My house is full of healthy people - no weight worries either way. I couldn't ask for better company in that respect - no one's on diets, they're all healthy weights, and eat healthy, home-cooked food as well as enjoying desserts and treats, and all get plenty of exercise. So I feel bad when I'm struggling so much to eat - I think it comes across as fussiness or faddy eating, and I have such a hard time trying to put into words how every message my body is sending me is that it doesn't want food.

Hi UnXmas, the balance/weight gain can be risky. What i did to gain came with (what i feel) to be a host of additional problems. I ate high fats ~ I feel so guilty even now eating the 'red meat' ~ I ate double cheeseburgers ~ daily ~ started with 1, then 2 even 3 sometimes. (I can't even look at them now/ lol) I also added small portions of rich foods, with butter or high fats. With the high fats i feel it directly effected my gallbladder and developed stones. Passing a stone is worse the labor. I ended up having my gallbladder removed which made eating or digesting fats even harder now. I try desperately to figure out 'now what' and feel so lost at times.

I totally know what you mean about 'people who struggle with weight gain'

I have actually heard a number of times how lucky I am to be thin. The dirty looks heavier people give, the judgement from those who have no idea whats going on. If they only knew the suffering.

As for fats ` non meat ~ is a huge reason I look for easy to digest - clean protein ~ organic plant based sources. ;)

afidz

Super Moderator
I've just spent the weekend feeding a 5 year old through a port in her stomach, I forget the name of it, but would something like that work for you? That way you can ensure that you are getting the calories you need and you can still eat orally as well

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
What happened exactly with the NG feed?

Not sure if this pertains to you or not but I watched Hitler's GI Death Camp on Netflix recently and one of the survivors mentioned that their body was rejecting food after not being fed for so long (it caused him to vomit). They had to slowly dribble food down with a straw. When your body is so used to not having much food, it reacts differently when you finally try to get some down. People who are trying to recover from anorexia deal with the same problems like abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea etc. With the GI's who were brought back from the camp, the nurses helped them gain weight back by making them whatever sounded good. One guy wanted eggs, the nurse asked how he wanted them and he said, every way possible. So the nurse came back with 12 eggs made 12 different ways. Not everyone is able to just go all out and start eating loads of food right away though.

I agree with blending foods to help break down the fiber. It won't taste as bad as baby food either (I only eat fruit flavored baby food). Pea soup is awesome and smooth, there are also a lot of other soups that have a wonderful texture when blended. I got one of those hand held blenders you can use in the pot (an immersion blender) rather than using a table top blender. Best thing about making a large amount of soup is that you can portion it out and freeze it for later so that's less waste.

Blending up smoothies is good too and you can also freeze them. It helps break down the fiber and you can add Greek yogurt/frozen Greek yogurt, sherbet/sorbet and frozen fruits that don't have seeds like peaches, mangoes, bananas etc. They're really good too. Have a little bit at a time and put it back in the freezer.

This is going to be a slow process but eventually you will be able to train your body to accept food again, then you can switch to solid foods and larger meals. Keep doing your best and keep us posted. :ghug:

Chances are you're seeing one already but are you currently seeing a dietitian? Also I wouldn't worry about the healthy factor of the food at this point. You can always go healthy once you're out of this danger zone. :)

I've just spent the weekend feeding a 5 year old through a port in her stomach, I forget the name of it, but would something like that work for you? That way you can ensure that you are getting the calories you need and you can still eat orally as well
There was talk about putting in a port, but the gastroenterologist said I was too sick to undergo the surgery needed to put it in. I'm not sure she was right on this, since I've had two surgeries in the last year, one of them major, whilst being pretty much this weight.

Not sure if this pertains to you or not but I watched Hitler's GI Death Camp on Netflix recently and one of the survivors mentioned that their body was rejecting food after not being fed for so long (it caused him to vomit). They had to slowly dribble food down with a straw. When your body is so used to not having much food, it reacts differently when you finally try to get some down. People who are trying to recover from anorexia deal with the same problems like abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea etc. With the GI's who were brought back from the camp, the nurses helped them gain weight back by making them whatever sounded good. One guy wanted eggs, the nurse asked how he wanted them and he said, every way possible. So the nurse came back with 12 eggs made 12 different ways. Not everyone is able to just go all out and start eating loads of food right away though.
That's the thing though, the doctors, and the nurses on the ward, were amazed at how much I could eat. Basing their original assumptions on my weight, they assumed I'd been near starving, eating tiny portions or practically nothing. But I had always been eating regular meals. Not huge, but consistently - four or five small meals a day - I was certainly not to the point where my system wasn't used to food.

And I've gained and lost weight so many times in the past - I know from experience that my stomach doesn't get used to larger portions. I've tried increasing the amount I eat gradually, and stuck with it for a long time (months) trying to get my body used to more food, but it never does get used to it. My symptoms just get worse and worse, and the longer the period of time in which I keep forcing down more food, the faster my symptoms deteriorate.

What happened exactly with the NG feed?
My stoma was filling up with water-consistency output, many, many times a day, and my weight dropped. I had terrible stomach cramps too.

When I had the tube, then my system wasn't tolerating it, and my stoma output reflected that. But once they took the tube out, and I was just eating proper food, my output returned to normal. They were weighing all the stoma output, measuring my urine, recording everything I ate and drank. And that's why it's so hard to understand - apart from when I had the tube, my output was pretty normal. I never vomit. So it wasn't clear where the calories were going to, although stool tests did show some fat malabsorbtion apparently, though the doctors didn't tell me how much exactly.

This is why my surgeon thinks some of the weight loss may be from muscle wasting, as my body doesn't act like it's starving - my system does tolerate food.

Chances are you're seeing one already but are you currently seeing a dietitian?
Yes, I saw one in the hospital, who specialised in weight gain - she works with people with anorexia a lot, as well as with people with IBD. One of my gastroenterologists also specialises in nutrition. I didn't find the dietician that helpful. She didn't know much about stomas, which I thought was odd considering her area of expertise. I went into hospital with the assumption that she would be able to tell me how much I needed to eat to gain weight, but she couldn't - which I don't think is her fault, I don't think anyone can understand my weight, but it meant that she didn't really have anything useful to add. I already know the basics of calorie-condense foods, avoiding fibre, etc. All the dietician did was order the NG feed, and then stop it again when I reacted to it, and then prescribe more and more supplements, until I was finally having so many, along with real food, that I gained a couple of kilos.

She didn't think it was worth carrying on seeing me as an outpatient, because she really didn't have anything more to add.

The other thing they did while I was in hospital, was have me monitored by a nurse, one to one, twenty four hours a day. I think this was a good thing. You may have read in my posts that I've been accused of having anorexia or other eating disorders in the past. These doctors didn't bother getting into arguments about it with me, or suspecting me of hiding something from them - they had someone watch me all the time, even in the bathroom, so they knew they could trust me, and were certain I wasn't making myself sick, secretly exercising or hiding food. And I cooperated, because I knew I had nothing to hide (and all the nurses looking after me were so lovely - it made the time in hospital pass much more quickly always having someone to talk to!). So for the first time, I guess, I had "proof" that I wasn't deliberately trying to lose weight, and that I could eat what should have made me gain weight, and still lose.

Hi UnXmas, i was going to ask about muscle wasting but didn't want to pry. I was wondering how or why the current weight issues you mention would, or could be affected by muscle wasting? How would that effect gaining weight?

Please share if you have info, much appreciated.
Hope today finds you doing better.

Once when I could not eat either, I did a liquid diet for 15 days. Things like vegetable juices, water and broth. No solid food.

After that I felt well enough to slowly start introducing blended fruits in form of smoothies, and stewed fruit, and then onto steamed and roasted vegetables.

Then added a protein / food supplement powder to the smoothies.......then by day 30 returned to normal diet.

Although maybe if you are loosing weight that may not be the best action. This is because you may lose a bit of weight on a liquid diet. I did not; but you may do.

Hi UnXmas, i was going to ask about muscle wasting but didn't want to pry. I was wondering how or why the current weight issues you mention would, or could be affected by muscle wasting? How would that effect gaining weight?

Please share if you have info, much appreciated.
Hope today finds you doing better.
My surgeon said it sounded like motor neurone disease, except he hadn't that I definitely don't have motor neurone disease as I don't have the other symptoms. What happens is that your muscles waste away, regardless of calories consumed. Losing the muscle, which is heavier than fat or whatever else people are made up of, so weight drops. I think that's right anyway. He said I'd need a muscle biopsy to test for it. I don't know - it's the best theory any of the doctors have come up with so far, though I don't know if it fits me all that well. Then again, nothing fits me well - no one knows what's going on.

Once when I could not eat either, I did a liquid diet for 15 days. Things like vegetable juices, water and broth. No solid food.

After that I felt well enough to slowly start introducing blended fruits in form of smoothies, and stewed fruit, and then onto steamed and roasted vegetables.

Then added a protein / food supplement powder to the smoothies.......then by day 30 returned to normal diet.

Although maybe if you are loosing weight that may not be the best action. This is because you may lose a bit of weight on a liquid diet. I did not; but you may do.
Thank you for the suggestion. I think that would be out of the question right now for me though. My BMI was 10 when I went into hospital, and I've only gained a couple of kilos since then. I really can't afford to risk losing any more.

I haven't tried a liquid diet before, however, so it's definitely something I'll keep in mind if I'm able to get to a point where it's safe enough to try it (though of course, when I can do that, it may not be necessary :confused2: ). The closest I did was when I had post-surgical ileus, and couldn't eat for a couple of weeks, but I couldn't swallow liquids for some of that time either, and was having IV fluids and TPN. So that break from food didn't help my digestive system, but then I was so sick I couldn't have expected it to.

Again I'm just rambling to myself really, but if anyone has anything to add, I'm open to hearing anything, especially to my last question at the bottom of the post.

Well at my GP appointment today I was prescribed some Forticreme Complete supplements. http://manage.nutricia.com/uploads/documents/Forticreme_Complete_Compendium_Page.pdf They're basically like puddings that you put in the fridge - they remind me of Soya puddings in texture, they're more solid than yoghurt, maybe more like French Set yoghurts. They're 200 calories each and contain all the vitamins, etc.

So perhaps that will take care of some of my snacks at least. Has anyone had these before, and have you tried mixing them with anything to make them more interesting? I know I read of people doing all sorts of things with Ensures - mixing them with ice cream, making them into smoothies, using them on cereal instead of milk and things like that. The Forticreme Complete didn't taste bad, but if anyone has some simple ideas of things to mix it up a bit, I'd like to hear them.

I'm finding plain biscuits are going down ok. I'm not sure if it's the plainness of them that's making them acceptable, as I've been trying to eat plain bread and butter, and bowls of cereal, and they've not been going down so well at all. Also I'm always thirsty, and drink a lot of full sugar coke - that should help put weight on, shouldn't it?

I've just started on prednisone. Last time I was on it, I didn't get the weight-gain side effect that many people report. I'm wondering if I might this time.

Another thing I've noticed, which I brought up, I think, on the stoma forum, but I'll put it here again in case anyone on this forum can help: I've noticed that when I get really full, is not when my stomach's full of food after I've eaten, necessarily, but it's when my stoma needs to empty some output. My stoma has always had a weird pattern of going long periods without anything coming out, this will go on maybe all day, and I'll be getting fuller and fuller and more and more uncomforable, then the bag will fill up very rapidly, maybe a couple of times in a row, and then I feel so much better. I'm not sure I quite fancy the idea of try laxatives with a stoma, but does anyone know if there are some foods that could help get things moving, so I can get it empty and get rid of the fullness feeling more quickly? I know hot drinks can stimulate the bowel, and when I've had stoma blockages I've used them to help get things moving. Any other ideas?

Also I'm always thirsty, and drink a lot of full sugar coke - that should help put weight on, shouldn't it?
Have you found this to 'feel' bothersome? It is such a nightmare trying to find something that sits well. Complex carbs can be occasionally difficult to digest for some.

UnXmas, we have shared similar situations, I had seen you mentioned ileus, sends shivers up my spine. I totally understand this and what a frustrating complication. I wonder if that has also effected long term weight gain?

For some to understand a bit better they might want to take a peek at a bmi chart and see what their weight would be at the bmi mentioned. It is so unreal what a body can go through. The efforts made to survive spoken and unspoken are a huge milestone in this illness. I think it could be why I have a tendency to try and motivate others for nutrition even before they fall into a situation. Once in it, this feels like clawing your way slowly back up with obstacles along the way.The right combination is out there, we are just so individual. Input is valuable even though it may not apply to everyone but it might help just 1.

A side note: the hemp protein i mentioned if tried, is often best with a slow build up or it might cause discomfort. I found from experience.

You are doing amazing UnXmas ~ my best to you always.

I don't even know what the "feeling" is anymore. I think I mentioned, I've always been able to find some foods that feel right, beyond the fullness, sickness, etc., I'd have foods that tasted good and were comforting to eat. Not in the excruciating pain and sickness of ileus, but that was a short term thing. Then I was admitted to hospital and something changed. I'd assumed when I was home and eating what I want, when I want, I'd gravitate towards foods that felt ok again, but I just can't find any and everything sits wrong. I'm now even kind of suspecting my body is subconsciously trying to sabotage me or something - when I went into hospital I was so determined to keep my weight up regardless of my digestive problems, and now it's like a whole new level of difficulty (impossibility?) has come out of nowhere.

I think you're right that most people don't realise there's a difference between being underweight and really being underweight. If you google the Internet, all the advice for weigh gain seems to be aimed at people with maybe a bmi of 14, 15 or so, and a lot of it centres on elderly patients. My bmi was 10, I guess it's around 12 now I've gained a little. I guess one thing is that my body does seem to tolerate low weights awfully well. My doctors were not only shocked at how underweight I am, but at how healthy I am despite my weight. They were ok with discharging me, as I am medically fit. My heart rate's fast, due to medication, but they did all sorts of tests on it just in case, and it's healthy. My blood pressure's always ok, my blood sugar's always ok. I often have a temperature, but then there's inflammation in my digestive tract, so it may be related to that. They find it really hard to understand how I feel so hot all the time. Underweight people are supposed to feel cold.

I don't understand it, and I'm rambling again. I'm looking up the hemp protein now. Btw - some other supplements that were recommended to me were bee pollen and aloe vera, the former for providing energy and the latter for helping with digestion. I'm not generally one for supplements, I tend to just view a calorie as a calorie and if I can get them in the weight will go on. But that's not working anymore; I'm going to have to do some reevaluating.

Last edited:
I'm trying to pinpoint the foods that I'm able to palate.

Coke (full sugar, so I think it’s doing more good than harm, drinking about half a litre a day, so about 100 calories, if I remember correctly.)
I get so thirsty, partly from a dry mouth, partly from adding salt to food (need extra salt with an ileostomy), and partly just because I’m always thirsty! Sometimes this also translates into wanting ice cream after meals, just for the nice clean coolness of it, so certain flavours are going down ok – has to be strawberry or vanilla or something light, nothing choclately.

Sweets – I'm grazing on fruity sugary sweets all day, though only a few at a time.

Doughnut – really liked one, thought I’d get some more, then didn’t like the others much at all.

Plain biscuits and crackers – digestives, short bread, rich tea, they’re all going down ok.

I had a peach the other day, as one of my fibre allowances. It tasted good, perhaps because it’s been so long since I’ve had one. I’m almost tempted to try some high-fibre foods, as if the forbiddenness of them might make me want them. I still have one piece of fibrous food a day, so my craving (should I ever get one, I haven't had one lately) is satisfied for most things. But there are some things I never risk: Do you think if I ate sweetcorn, mushrooms, branflakes, nuts, and museli bars, I’d enjoy them?!

And this thought also led me to the idea that I could try things simply on the basis that they are foods I never normally eat - the most obvious category being rich or stodgy stuff. It seems counterintuitive to go for something filling when I’m worried about being full, but I’m getting desperate! So maybe puff pastries, dumplings, rich cakes, rich chocolates. The doughnut would come in this category, which was a small success but short lived, since by the time I had another one the following day, it didn't feel right. I had a small beef burger which was at least ok, I can’t say I enjoyed it much, but I wasn’t repulsed. Red meat is something I hardly ever eat, and I also don't eat spicy food. I think I probably like the taste of rich foods, I've just for a very long time always avoided anything likely to fill me up. Trying these kinds of foods would not carry the risk that fibrous foods do. So I guess I could try a bit of a rich meaty pie, a Mars Bar, or a rich creamy slice of cake? It would have the calories at least… but I’m not sure.

Hi, i would say no to mushrooms, they can cause a blockage and are not worth the pain.

you have to get your appetite stimulated somehow. Usually it has to taste good, really good. What are your favorite foods? If not now from before. I know when i am in the spot of desperate weight gain the gloves have to come off and i go to what is going to help get my taste buds going first. CHOCOLATE can clean the palate and help stimulate the appetite to start. It helped me in the past ;) then try the next thing that taste good. It may not be highly nutritious at first but it could get the ball rolling. Start small and build so it will most likely cause less pain/discomfort. Chew everything super well and be sure to get enough fluids.

i gain a little ;) loose a little :( back and forth ~ it's like a crazy game!

keep trying ~ i will too ;)

Coke full sugar, so I think it’s doing more good than harm, drinking about half a litre a day, so about 100 calories, if I remember correctly.
Ohh at your peril! :eek2:

There is nothing good about Coke - it will be harming you in many ways.

Coke will help you to:

1) Become more malnourished

2) Interfering with the absorption of nutrients

3) Causes vitamin and mineral depletion - which leads to many more health issues

4) Increase your insulin levels which can lead to diabetics.

5) Interfere with calcium absorption and help leech calcium from your bones - which can lead to osteoporosis down the track

6) Accelerates aging

The sugar-free versions are worse due to the chemical aspartame.

There is quite a few more negatives; would you like me to continue?

I will post back later with nutritious ideas about safely putting on weight.

Have you tried drinking any sort of protein shake? These can be used to build you back up nutritionally and weight wise.

Hi UnXmas. Are you able to tolerate eggs? My nutritionist told me eggs should be my best friend because they are loaded with protein and easily digestible. With the muscle issue you mention, it sounds like high protein foods should be at the top of your list.

I don't have the severe weight problem that you have but I constantly struggle with trying to find something that sounds appetizing and won't make me hurt. I live alone and, therefore, do all my own shopping and cooking. So often what happens is I buy food and then I don't feel well enough to cook it so it goes to waste. Or it sounds good when I'm at the store but when I get it home it's unappetizing so it goes to waste. Or I cook it and eat it once and it makes me feel bad and I don't want to eat it again so it goes to waste.

Or, conversely, nothing sounds good when I'm at the store, or I don't feel well when I'm shopping, so I don't buy anything. Then I end up staring into an empty fridge trying to figure out what to eat. I was hoping this problem would go away after my surgery but it doesn't seem so.

Anyway...the one thing I can usually bring myself to make is scrambled eggs. Even when it doesn't sound good I just make them and eat them anyway. It only takes about three minutes and doesn't make much of a mess. And then I know I at least put something nutritious in my body. I also like to juice carrots and mix half and half with coconut milk and a little grated nutmeg. Healthy and high calorie.

I'm sorry you're having this problem. It sounds very frustrating.

Coke full sugar, so I think it’s doing more good than harm, drinking about half a litre a day, so about 100 calories, if I remember correctly.
I will have to go through my nutrition notes over the weekend, but in the meantime just keep these ideas in mind:

Oatmeal made into porridge

Drinking smoothies or meal replacement drinks is the best way to regain your appetite and put on weight. They are easy to prepare and are economical. They are gentle and easy to digest, and they are full of good nutrition.

Avocados are a healthy fat that will help you put on weight. Blended up with some fruit in a smoothie is a good way to consume them. I also have a great chocolate pudding recipe that uses avocado instead of dairy cream.

Other foods that will help you put on weight in a healthy way are: nut butters like peanut butter, almond butter, hazelnut butter, cashew butter, pecan butter, etc

A tablespoon of nut butter can easily be added to a smoothie; as can ground flaxseed.

Even if you cannot tolerate whole nuts (like me) – nut butters or nut milks or even seed milks should be OK (like me).

Instead of chugging down life destroying coke, you could simply make a nourishing smoothie or nut milk to drink that will help you gain weight whilst supply your poor depleted body with good sources of vitamins and minerals.

Will find more info for you from my notes - studied nutrition as an interest subject a few years ago and still have all my text books in the attic.

Well dinner last night I ended up cooking myself very simple white rice, carrots, and lots of mayonnaise for calories. It was actually all ok. I had one of my Forticreme Complete puddings after, which made me very full, but I was still able to snack on biscuits and little cakes later.

I did feel awful this morning, and took a laxative - I feel so much better once everything's out of the stoma, and could eat breakfast ok. I know there's another element making so many foods repulsive to me right now, but the fullness definitely doesn't help, it's not just tomach-fullness, it's everything building up and not being able to get out the stoma for many hours.

Hi, i would say no to mushrooms, they can cause a blockage and are not worth the pain.

you have to get your appetite stimulated somehow. Usually it has to taste good, really good. What are your favorite foods? If not now from before. I know when i am in the spot of desperate weight gain the gloves have to come off and i go to what is going to help get my taste buds going first. CHOCOLATE can clean the palate and help stimulate the appetite to start. It helped me in the past then try the next thing that taste good. It may not be highly nutritious at first but it could get the ball rolling. Start small and build so it will most likely cause less pain/discomfort. Chew everything super well and be sure to get enough fluids.

i gain a little loose a little back and forth ~ it's like a crazy game!

keep trying ~ i will too
Yeah, I wasn't seriously going to try mushrooms!

I do like chocolate, but the thought of fills me up sometimes. I love ice cream - it tastes good and goes down easy. I do have a sweet tooth. I've also asked my dad to bake me some homemade bread rolls - one of his specialities. He's going to make me a homemade pizza at some point too. And I want to go to the fish and chip shop one day - I have battered sausage rather than fish though, with chips and ketchup and vinegar. ;) Hope you're doing ok, too, If*.

There is nothing good about Coke - it will be harming you in many ways.

Coke will help you to:

1) Become more malnourished

2) Interfering with the absorption of nutrients

3) Causes vitamin and mineral depletion - which leads to many more health issues

4) Increase your insulin levels which can lead to diabetics.

5) Interfere with calcium absorption and help leech calcium from your bones - which can lead to osteoporosis down the track

6) Accelerates aging

The sugar-free versions are worse due to the chemical aspartame.

There is quite a few more negatives; would you like me to continue?

I will post back later with nutritious ideas about safely putting on weight.

Have you tried drinking any sort of protein shake? These can be used to build you back up nutritionally and weight
Sorry - I love my coke! I used to drink diet, as I prefer the taste, but now I'm having full-sugar, and it does add in some more calories!

I'm having loads of prescribed supplements - Ensure Pluses, Forticreme Completes and Calogen Extra Shots, so I think I'm quite saturated in protein/drink type things.

Thank you for the other suggestions though. Avocado and peanut butter have been things I've relied on heavily in the past. I think I've had them so often lately that I've become quite sick of them though. I've been wondering about this more generally - that perhaps the problem is that when I was in hospital and being fed so much, my body got used to not being starved, and perhaps it was the starving or deprivation that produces the desire for particular foods?

Other nut butters sounds a good idea, to get some more variety, and I have to say I've never tried a nut butter besides peanut, and I've had chocolate and hazelnut spreads. I can't tolerate nuts in their usual form, so different nut butters will be a fresh change. Oatmeal sounds nice and simple too - is it not filling though? Is oatmeal one of the things where it has different names in the US and UK, do you know? I'm assuming it to just mean porridge like you have for breakfast, or are you thinking of something else?

I have a little bit of an irrational phobia of certain breakfast cereals, because some of them are advertised as being very filling foods, with this being put forward in a positive way - i.e. that they'll fill you up and stop you getting hungry mid-morning. So I've kind of been put off cereals like Wheatabix and porridge (the Wheatabix is probably too full of fibre also). I used to have a similar phobia about smoothies - there are some brands of fruit smoothies you can buy which list the number of fruits they contain on the bottle, again as a positive thing, telling you the bottle contains 8 bananas and 10 apples or whatever, implying that you'll get a nice load of healthy fruit. Well for a long while I couldn't bring myself to drink them, because I was worried how I'd fit all the fruit in my stomach! Dumb I know. I have since been able to get myself over that phobia and drink smoothies. But yeah, oatmeal may be a challenge.

Hi UnXmas. Are you able to tolerate eggs? My nutritionist told me eggs should be my best friend because they are loaded with protein and easily digestible. With the muscle issue you mention, it sounds like high protein foods should be at the top of your list.
Yes, eggs are a favourite of mine when soft boiled with bread and butter, though I'm not so keen on them in other forms. I know they're healthy, but I thought they were pretty low calorie? I'm sorry you have similar struggles, Khaley. Struggling with anything as basic as eating is very difficult, and I'm sorry you're having the same hard times.

SmellyMelly – I’m aware, as I sit here drinking my Coke, that I may seem to be dismissing the advice you’re giving me, so I want to apologise if it seems like I don’t care. The area of healthy eating carries a lot of baggage for me. When I first got sick in my teens, doctors told me I had IBS, that I might have some food intolerances, and gave me no help, so I turned to various nutritionists, homeopathic doctors, websites, etc. etc. who all told me they could help with IBS (which was so embarrassing me, it was ruining my life).

All I heard was – processed food is bad, sugar is bad, refined food is bad, grains are bad, gluten is bad, dairy is bad, preservatives are bad. Natural is good, supplements are good, organic is good. Basically I got to the point where I was terrified of eating anything. Joining in any kind of meal socially was out of the question, and I was horribly controlled by all these rules about what I couldn’t eat. And I just got even more sicker – mostly because a lot of what I was told I could eat was high in fibre. It was one of the most miserable periods of my life, I was incredibly confused and now I'm ashamed of how I let healthy eating ruin my life and upset my family. And all the supposed professionals who’d told me they could help me, didn’t want to know when I told them it wasn’t working. I was very naïve and assumed if a professional told me something, it was true.

So perhaps you can see why I don’t want to return to thinking that foods are bad. I eat almost everything in moderation now. I make sure I get my fruit and veg (or supplements if I can’t get enough) and I get home cooked meals and I try to make sure I buy food that’s been produced with relatively little damage to the environment and with good standards of living for any animals involved. But I also eat my junk food and drink my coke, and especially when I need to gain so much weight, I rely on processed foods of various kinds. I can be relaxed about it, eat socially, and not be ruled by diet. I do eat low-fibre, but this has obvious benefits for my health, and is a diet recommended by conventional medicine.

My situation is also different because Crohn’s is not my only illness. I’m not going to live to a healthy old age, I’m becoming increasingly more disabled. So I don’t take long-term health issues in the same way most people do.
And some people may get a lot of benefits from making more dietary changes, and some people will be able to do it without getting neurotic like I did. But it’s just not for me. Do feel free to keep supplying me with dietary advice, though. I do appreciate your posts and will read them, because I’m sure that while I may not be able to follow all your advice, you have a lot of knowledge and good suggestions, and I’m sure some of it I’ll be able to try. I just wanted to explain why I’m still drinking my Coke. ;)

I'm tentatively feeling like things may be picking up. Lunch today was not bad. By the end I did feel like I was just ploughing through it mechanically a bit, but it was alright and I finished it with strawberry ice cream, because I'm always left thirsty after eating and wanting something cool and refreshing. I can't say what it is that has made the last couple of meals more ok, and don't want to things are turning around yet as it's probably a bit premature to do so. I'm not sure if it's just that I've been able to pick things more in tune with what I feel like, or whether than element that I just can't put my finger on that has been making food seem all so wrong has shifted a bit. So I'll keep you all posted (should anyone be making it through all these posts. :p I'm quite liking having my own little record here. :) ).

Hi UnXmas! Ride the wave and enjoy! Really good to hear that something is doing well.

I really appreciate SmellyMelly's post. Actually has more info then most nutritionist have offered, lol. Most likely since SM has been in the situation and has an actual understanding. Also makes good sense.

What some 'might' be missing is that serious underweight situation when anything consumed is better then nothing. It is a matter of getting things going, appetite, digestion, etc. It is never in large amounts, start little and add bits. Til hopefully the foods start tasting, feeling, digesting better and the pounds/stones start sticking.

I am cheering for you UnXmas!!

Yes, eggs are a favourite of mine when soft boiled with bread and butter, though I'm not so keen on them in other forms. I know they're healthy, but I thought they were pretty low calorie?
Yes, they are only about 75 calories a piece, but they are so high in nutrients - particularly protein - that they are well worth eating. My dietician says that people with inflammatory diseases need to eat extra protein because we always have healing going on. She, herself, has rheumatoid arthritis. She also says to eat lots of butter because it's good for our gut walls, and that could be a way for you to get extra calories.

I'm not a nutrition expert but what makes sense to me is to have a nutrient-rich core diet that we eat everyday and then augment that as much as necessary with high calorie foods. For me, drinking extra calories is quickest and easiest. Soups and smoothies made with coconut milk or full-fat dairy products are favorites of mine.

Please don't focus solely on calories above nutrition. If your body isn't getting enough protein to heal itself, your total health will suffer. I do realize that the problem is it's difficult to eat when nothing sounds good, so perhaps you do need to think of that core diet as medicine. Make yourself a schedule of when you will eat an egg, when you will eat some peanut butter, for instance, and then fill in the rest of your calories as you like. Make it tasty. I eat a couple of scrambled eggs and then a short time later I let myself have a root beer float!

Good luck to you. It sounds like things may be looking up. I hope so!

Thank you Khaley - it all sounds like very good advice. I'm having a lot of prescribed supplements, so my protein intake is good, but you're also right that nutrition is important rather than just calories, and while I think Coke and sweets are ok to have and do bring in calories in a form that I like the taste of, opting for something more nutritious is preferable, if I can find something that appeals. The Coke and sweets (I have things like fruit pastilles, mints, etc.) are also easy to just snack on while I'm doing other things, so maybe I'll try to find something else of that nature.

The little improvement is continuing, touch wood. I'm still not sure why - some of the meals that have gone better are things I've been eating frequently lately, so I don't think finding a lot of new foods is going to be necessary, though I'm trying to eat more variedly to increase the chance of finding things that go down ok.

In general I've felt a little better, emotionally, yesterday and today. I'm wondering if the prednisone's kicking in; the light before last I was awake for a little - very unusual for me, but I had a really good sleep last night, so hopefully I won't get any prednisone insomnia if I keep taking my sleep meds. I get terrible flashes of anxiety, which I think is from taking Amitriptyline, but I'm not sure if the prednisone will amplify it. I also had a good talk with one of my doctors yesterday; she's the one keeping track of my weight and issuing my prescriptions, for the supplements as well as my other medications, and she sorted out a few worries that I'd had. It made me feel better to be reminded I have some real life support from a professional, in addition to all you wonderful people online. ;)

Prednisone is a wonder drug. It will help your mood and appetite, as well as your pain. Too bad it has so many nasty side effects, insomnia being one of them!

I'm glad to read the Pred is kicking in. I love it and I hate it. I go on and off it a lot with my asthma. Lately it's getting harder to come off. I hope your course of Pred heals you quickly so you can get off of it. ( hugs):ghug:

Skimmed the thread.
I went through a similar phase where nothing was sitting well and I struggled to gain weight. Foods I should, or used to enjoy I no longer did. Eventually those foods were ones that became triggers, I think I was having a small reaction to the point I didn't realize they were triggers but my body was giving me the signs.

Have you tried an elimination diet?
Start off eating just chicken or something you know is safe for about 3 days so your body can recuperate and be clear of trigger foods.

It may not sound like a lot, but eating a small amount of food that's a non-trigger goes much further than eating any amount of food that triggers symptoms, because you won't gain nutrition from most of what you're eating.

Make a list of ingredients - not foods but ingredients to test. Things like wheat, canola, different sweeteners, oils, fruits and vegetables.

Try them in one or two day intervals.

When I finally did a full elimination diet I gained more weight on chicken and eggs than I ever did stuffing my face with all things that make me ill.

I can't do high fiber either.
I suggest trying just chicken and white jasmine rice if you can do that, use it as a base diet and go from there.

Things are definitely looking up. :) Breakfast and lunch were good, plus a few sweets as mid-morning snack. Like I said, I don't know what changed, but not everything's seeming so repulsive anymore.

I've had a minor stress out today, because I worried I'd blocked my stoma from eating too much fibre again. It's been painful, but I haven't had the sick, crampy stomach pain of a blockage that would stop me eating. It's more like just the outside of the stoma is very sore from having the undigested food move out. But eating lunch seems to have stimulated the bowel, and now output's coming out, so it's ok. :)

InstantCoffee- I have tried elimination diets in the past, but I don't have trigger foods. I just respond to fibre content and the overall volume of food I'm eating. And there's no way I should risk a minimal diet at this point - I'm far too dangerously underweight, even just a few days would be a very big risk. Besides, this isn't really a physical issue I'm struggling with. I think it's very much an emotional response - food was just turning me off.

It started when I was admitted to hospital several weeks ago because I was so underweight. I was so stuffed with NG feed and supplements and actual food (much of it disgusting hospital food) and eating was just so repulsive. At first all I wanted was to get out of hospital desperately, but when I was actually discharged after five weeks, something's just been very upset with me emotionally, but I don't know what it is. My one and only goal had been to get out of hospital, but when I actually got home, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. After previous hospital admissions, I'd been overjoyed to get home, and I can't work out what's different this time. Food was just one part of that. I'm sorry, I'm not explaining this well at all, but like I said, I really don't know what's wrong with me myself. I'm taking a lot of medications that are messing with my emotions too, so it's just been very difficult.

Again I'm just rambling to myself really, but if anyone has anything to add, I'm open to hearing anything, especially to my last question at the bottom of the post.

Well at my GP appointment today I was prescribed some Forticreme Complete supplements. http://manage.nutricia.com/uploads/documents/Forticreme_Complete_Compendium_Page.pdf They're basically like puddings that you put in the fridge - they remind me of Soya puddings in texture, they're more solid than yoghurt, maybe more like French Set yoghurts.
They're 200 calories each and contain all the vitamins, etc.

So perhaps that will take care of some of my snacks at least. Has anyone had these before, and have you tried mixing them with anything to make them more interesting? I know I read of people doing all sorts of things with Ensures - mixing them with ice cream, making them into smoothies, using them on cereal instead of milk and things like that. The Forticreme Complete didn't taste bad, but if anyone has some simple ideas of things to mix it up a bit, I'd like to hear them. /QUOTE]

There are recipes on the Nutricia website. I've made a few of the fortisip ones when I had a load of leftover fortisips after doing a liquid only diet a couple of years ago.

Here's the website address: http://www.nutricia.ie/index.php/recipes/results/136:40/P40/

Okay, you know your gut better than I do, but I would proceed with caution.
I used to love potatoes, and one day I didn't like them anymore, I thought that was odd. They lost all their appeal to me. It felt like I just didn't 'want' them. Same happened with some other foods but I don't remember all of them as well as potato.

Eventually they became a severe trigger food.

I too used to have no 'trigger' foods, when my humira and remicade worked - at least that's what I believed, but rather my condition was being kept in check and my symptoms were minor, but I was constantly eating these foods so I had very little appetite and struggled with weight. I fell down to 99 lb.s at one point, I'm 6' to put that in perspective.

Prednizone would help my appetite but I wouldn't usually gain weight on it.

When I cut back from eating about 2,000+ calories of food I couldn't tolerate I gained 10 lb.s just eating about 6 chicken tenders and 2 eggs a day, because my body was being starved but what I ate blocking me from absorbing what it could have been.

Sometimes less is more when it's the right stuff.

InstantCoffee - when I tried elimination/exclusion diets, I lost weight then also. That was a long time ago now, but I completely exhausted the exclusion diet concept. I stuck to basic, rice based diets and things like that, I was underweight at the time, and I still lost. My BMI was 10 when I went into hospital a few weeks ago (I usually work in kilos - I'm 5'5" and was 29kg). It's not an idea I'm dismissing just for the sake of it - it really doesn't work.

But the same applies as I said to SmellyMelly - I appreciate the advice and will read any more posts you have to add. You clearly have a lot of knowledge on nutrition, and I'm sure you know things that will be useful to me, even if I can't try all your suggestions.

Last edited:
Have you considered a mass-gaining shake?
I used to buy them from health/fitness stores, the only ones I could have with CD were called Russian Bear 5000 and Anabolic Muscle. It's mostly a lot of protein and sugar in a very condensed form with chocolate flavoring. Avoid Protein Shakes because they are usually low calories-per-scoop.

I started making my own when I couldn't tolerate those with half and half, coconut oil, unsalted butter and ovaltine.

Have you considered a mass-gaining shake?
I used to buy them from health/fitness stores, the only ones I could have with CD were called Russian Bear 5000 and Anabolic Muscle. It's mostly a lot of protein and sugar in a very condensed form with chocolate flavoring. Avoid Protein Shakes because they are usually low calories-per-scoop.

I started making my own when I couldn't tolerate those with half and half, coconut oil, unsalted butter and ovaltine.
No I hadn't thought of that - probably because I'm the complete opposite of the physical type of the muscle man body builder stereotypically associated with them, assuming I'm thinking of the same kind of weight-gain products you are!

The supplements I'm having at the moment are all ones prescribed for me - Ensures, Calogen, Forticreme. Years and years ago I tried making up my own shakes of rice milk (at the time I was avoiding dairy), bananas and some kind of soya-based protein powder I think.

Are there advantages that the ones you mention have that the prescribed supplements don't have?

I do drink Ovaltine and hot chocolate occasionally.

Food is still going ok today. I had some cheese crackers with avocado as part of my snack this afternoon, which is calories in a more nutritious form than my sugary sweets (I am listening to all of your advice, even if I only follow little bits of it!). And I'm not feeling overly full yet, and my stoma's stopped hurting, so I can try and get in something reasonably substantial for supper later.

There are some. They often have a better amino acid profile assuming you get the better ones and not the $12 walmart specials like EAS. Some of them are fortified with vitamins.

Russian Bear 5000 has a pretty extensive list of herbals in it, you can look it up if you're interested.

SmellyMelly – I’m aware, as I sit here drinking my Coke, that I may seem to be dismissing the advice you’re giving me, so I want to apologise if it seems like I don’t care.
Yes, but if you keep drinking your coke you are going to have EVEN MORE health issues to contend with down the track.

That makes no sense to me!!!

Personally I find it hard enough coping with the three different health issues I already have; so to then deal with diabetes or osteoporosis that I got from drinking coke would just be terrible beyond belief.

You don't have to become increasingly more disabled. You have a choice to improve your situation through nutritional medicine.

It may not be a cure; but it does mean a better quality of life and less pain towards the end.

But it is your life you can do what you like with it. I respect that. I am just speaking from my own views and personal experiences.

I have put a lot of effort over the weekend into getting the following information for you. In fact, I spent the whole of Sunday going through my nutrition text books in the attic for you and didn’t even do my own stuff that I had planned.

If you want to dismiss it then no problem – your choice. But I will post it anyway since I have made the effort and because it may help someone else in a similar situation to yourself.

I have a general interest college certificate in nutritional medicine and food fundamentals.

I don’t know everything and don't pretend too. But I do know enough to know (and advise) that you are doing yourself damage with drinking coke to put on weight.

You need to make sure that your calorie intake is as nutrient-rich as possible.

Consuming soft drinks (coke) and other processed foods, is a terribly unhealthy way to put on weight, strengthen bones or repair tissue.

And using coke and such like, is dehydrating and can have other serious health issues in the short and long run.

Eating lots of animal protein and excessive refined white sugar (16 teaspoons in your average can of coke!) will leach nutrients from your body and put unnecessary pressure on your body, especially your kidneys. This sort of pressure on your kidneys can also lead to the formation of kidney stones - which I have been told are very painful to pass.

Personally I would avoid dairy with IBD but that is just me. If you can tolerate dairy then stick to things like full fat butter and full fat plain Greek yoghurt. Or have something like silken tofu or chia seed gel pudding instead - chia seeds contain calcium but you need to have them in the soft gentle gel form for IBD.

I cannot have dairy like cheese and milk without pain, but I can have a little butter. But it has to be real old fashioned full cream certified organic butter; and not those crappy artificial butters or margarine spreads.

If you can tolerate scrambled eggs then you can add full fat butter to them………….and if tolerable you could also add full fat milk, full fat cream or full fat cheese as additions mixed into the scrambled eggs during cooking. Full fat dairy will help you put on weight but should not be used long term. It is certainly healthier than coke but not necessarily healthy in the long run. You could also try poached and boiled eggs, but avoid fried.

Other easy to digest foods would be things like: brown rice pudding with apple sauce, blancmange, full fat custards, smoothies, juices, chicken potassium broth and liquid meal replacement supplements.

Obviously most of these things need to be homemade – anything processed from a tin, bottle or packet needs to be avoided simply because they won’t contain the necessarily nutrients your body needs to heal and repair itself.

A few simple recipes to start you off:

1) Fruit smoothie

Blend together:

Frozen fruit OR fresh fruit

Half an avocado OR a handful of pre-soaked raw nuts / linseeds / sunflower seeds

* Coconut water OR almond milk

* If using coconut water depending on the age of the coconut you can also scrape out some of the flesh from inside the coconut as this can also be added to the smoothie for extra thickness, nutrition and an additional healthy fat.

A nice gentle nutritious smoothie is: frozen ripe banana, fresh ripe papaya, ripe avocado and coconut water. Things need to be ripe to ensure full maximum nutrition and of course taste.

You can buy Thai drinking coconuts from most wholefood stores and supermarkets now, and the water inside is absolutely excellent for the bowels because coconut water is a wonderful electrolyte replacement.

Homemade celery juice will also do this but coconuts are cheaper than celery.

You could also include a “superfood” in the smoothie which would be rich in vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants. Maybe a ½ a teaspoon of Maca powder which has successful been used in treating IBD. Go easy with Maca as it can give you LOADS of energy and is a potent aphrodisiac……and yes I am speaking from experience :)

It is important that IBD sufferers stay hydrated. And the cheapest way to do that is with filtered water. It needs to be non-bottled and non-tap; so a filter on your drinking water supply to remove impurities is a must. Another good way to hydrate is with coconut water, vegetable juices or homemade flavored water:

2) Watermelon Water

4 cups watermelon, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
3 cups filtered water
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon agave nectar, or other natural healthy sweetener

Buzz up in blender and strain to remove any pulp. Serve with a sprig of mint if you like. Do not serve over ice as iced drinks should be avoided.

I normally add a teaspoon of L-Glutamine powder to a glass of water once a day because it can heal the gut. I am currently using a brand called Musashi. Lots of body builders and gym junkies use it after exercise. C&UC lower the body’s glutamine levels and so you need to replenish those levels. Glutamine has also been shown to protect the lining of the gastrointestinal tract.

3) Homemade Chicken Broth

1 whole raw chicken (free-range and certified organic if possible)

If your pot is big enough you can put it in whole; but best to chop first. YouTube videos will show you have to properly breakdown a bird or just get your butcher to do it for you. You must use chicken on the bone as opposed to chicken breasts, as the bones contain all the nutritious minerals which are going to leach into the broth and you will drink.

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar – use a brand that contains the mother

3 organic carrots, scrubbed and coarsely chopped

3 organic celery sticks, scrubbed and coarsely chopped

3 organic kale leaves or organic broccoli

2 organic shitake mushrooms

½ bunch of organic parsley or watercress – I also like to use coriander / cilantro

2 - 3 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half

1 large strip of dried arame or wakame (sea vegetables)

1 bay leaf

5 - 8 black peppercorns

1 burdock root

Grated ginger root

Sprinkle of sea salt (optional) – I use Himalayan pink salt.

You could also use wheat-free tamari instead of salt

If you cannot use organic vegetables then don’t stress. But they are highly recommended for several reasons, main reasons being: free from pesticides and they contain more nutrients than conventional produce. If you cannot source everything in the list then just make a simpler version and use what you can.

Preparation:

Place all ingredients in your stockpot or crockpot. Cover ingredients with cold filtered water, plus a bit more for later evaporation. Let stand for 30 minutes whilst the vinegar works it magic to help extract additional minerals from the bones.

Bring to a boil and remove any scum that rises to the top. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for a minimum of 4 hours. You can simmer up to 24 hours. I suggest 8 hours in a slow cooker as that way you don’t have to watch it.

Once cooked, remove the chicken. You can use the chicken pieces in other food if you want. I normally throw it away or feed it to my cat, since meat gives me bloating, pain and wind.

Strain the broth into a bowl. Discard the vegetables and bones. Allow broth to cool and then refrigerate. Once it is cool, remove any fat that has congealed on top. And store in the fridge or freezer until you want to use it. It will last several months in freezer and about a week in the fridge. You can gently warm this or even drink it cold as a nourishing mineral rich drink or meal replacement.

Other ideas could be mashed potatoes or parsnips and a knob of butter. Yesterday I had stomach ache so I just had juices and smoothies all day and today had boiled then mashed sweet potatoes, knob of real organic butter and mashed avocado. This is plain nutritious food and healthy fats.

More ideas here:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/cat-ulcerative-colitis.html

(Above and below link are for all IBD)

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtful-food-crohns-disease-and-cow-juice.html

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...ating/expert-answers/underweight/faq-20058429

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/nourishing-strengthening-foods-for.html

I do actually have more information to help you, but since you are not interested I won't bother to type it up.

Good luck with everything.

Last word:

“Nutritional Medicine is based on the principle that nutrients, including essential micronutrients, are required for the proper functioning of all the biochemical processes on which our bodies depend. Therefore, when treating symptoms or diseases, we look for the underlying causes which, although often partly genetic, are usually very much tied up with nutritional and environmental factors. This is in contrast to the tendency in the conventional medical approach to treat symptoms by means of drugs or surgery”. JM Meldrum. Nutrition Associates. York, UK. 1993.

I have met loads of people who have greatly improved and even reversed and totally cured particular diseases solely with Nutritional Medicine.

Things like rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, diabetes, eczema, back pain, migraines, high blood pressure, cardiovascular issues, crohns, ulcerative colitis, gout, multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus, and so on.

It is such a shame. You do NOT have to become progressively more disabled, and it saddens me greatly to read that is your expectation.

Anyway it is your choice – so I will say no more on the subject here.

Again good luck to you

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
You're doing a great job UnXmas. I don't care what you're getting down as long as you're getting something down. We all want you out of the danger zone and in the future you can try other items that are on the healthier side if you want to. :)

With this whole coke issue it reminded me of my dad's upbringing. My dad was severely underweight when he was a toddler so his mom took him to the doctor. The doctor asked what was going on and she told that doctor that all he wants is cookies and wont eat any good food so she would punish him by sending him to bed with no food or strapping him in a high chair all day with no food. The doctor yelled at her and told her to feed him any damn cookie he wanted because he wasn't eating anything at all. She could have killed her own child. She starved him by taking away his food because all he wanted was cookies and wouldn't eat the food she made. Eventually he ate other foods too but when things are so severe you have to look past what's healthy and look at the big picture that's happening right now.

Oatmeal sounds nice and simple too - is it not filling though? Is oatmeal one of the things where it has different names in the US and UK, do you know? I'm assuming it to just mean porridge like you have for breakfast, or are you thinking of something else?
I apologise – I forgot to answer your question.

Yes, I mean old fashioned porridge.

And yes it is very filling.

The sort they eat in Scotland – the one that puts hairs on your chest!

Avoid the heavily processed instant microwaveable stuff that has been stripped of all nutrients. You need old fashioned oat groats.

Recipe:

One cup of oat groats

Cover with water and soak for 8 – 12 hours. I normally soak overnight in fridge.

Discard water next day

Put oats in pot with three cups of water and bring to boil.

Once boiling, reduce to a simmer

And simmer for one hour stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to bottom of pan – adding one or two cups more of additional water as the other water is absorbed.

You could add a cinnamon stick during cooking, or I just sprinkle cinnamon on afterwards when ready.

Eat plain or serve with stewed apple buzzed up to resemble apple sauce which again makes for easier digestion. I eat mine with blueberry puree (blueberries buzzed up) and mashed banana with cinnamon.

I do not like porridge particularly. But I eat it because it is very nourishing and very good for you when your appetite is compromised or your energy is low.

Chia seed pudding, sago and tapioca are other good alternatives. They are cheap, filling, gluten-free and easy to digest.

I hope I have not upset you with my comments above? It was certainly not my intention and I apologise if I have.

But there is not much point me typing all the information out if you have already decided your outcome.

Changes are hard to make and it took me a long time to make them too; at my own pace. My health has improved dramatically since I gave up Coke – I now use it to clean my toilet.....In fact, Coke was the only thing that removed the Salofalk Enema stains out of the toilet. I used these for UC in the early years and they badly stained everything they came into contact with. Bleach did not work but Coke did.

Yes, but if you keep drinking your coke you are going to have EVEN MORE health issues to contend with down the track.

That makes no sense to me!!!

Personally I find it hard enough coping with the three different health issues I already have; so to then deal with diabetes or osteoporosis that I got from drinking coke would just be terrible beyond belief.

You don't have to become increasingly more disabled. You have a choice to improve your situation through nutritional medicine.

It may not be a cure; but it does mean a better quality of life and less pain towards the end.

But it is your life you can do what you like with it. I respect that. I am just speaking from my own views and personal experiences.

I have put a lot of effort over the weekend into getting the following information for you. In fact, I spent the whole of Sunday going through my nutrition text books in the attic for you and didn’t even do my own stuff that I had planned.

If you want to dismiss it then no problem – your choice. But I will post it anyway since I have made the effort and because it may help someone else in a similar situation to yourself.
I don't have a choice. You're very offensive. My illness can't be cured through anything. People don't choose to get sick and die. Why would you tell someone with an incurable disease something false? You don't even know which disease I have, let alone how nutrition affects it. You go around telling terminally ill people it's their fault they're dying? You're very messed up. This was the first thing I read after getting back here since my intestine perforated the other week...

Last edited:
So now I'm wondering how much of my aversion to food was due to the blockage that was building up. I'm healing very fast from my perforated intestine, but I'm mainly relying on TPN. I started on pureed food but can eat anything now, I still really don't want to but that's not surprising this soon after the surgery. I'm hoping when I heal it will be different now the blockage is gone.

Hi UnXmas, I'm glad that things are healing, I'm so sorry that you had that happen, but hope that you can get back to where you were before it happened as it sounded like you were making such great progress!

Sending many healing thoughts your way, we're all right behind you.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm glad the blockage has cleared up and am really glad that you're making more progress with your intake. :) I'm really sorry to hear that you had to deal with a perforated bowel though, that's very dangerous. Glad you're doing so well. :)

The doctors are talking about taking the TPN down today, which will be a sign of progress! They also don't want the central line going septic, the idea of which is scaring me. I'm now free of catheter, drain, NG aspiration tube and IV ports... just the TPN to go now!

I've found having my own food brought in beats the hospital food by far... the doctors are pleased with the food log the nurses are keeping for me. If I was a normal person they'd be certain I'd be eating enough for the TPN to go, but because they know I need an excessive amount of calories they're not quite sure. The TPN's providing me with around 1200 calories a day now.

I just have to wait while they discuss everything and I'll find out their decision tomorrow when it's the nutrition ward round. I really hope they'll agree to having it out because then I can go home!

That's great news about the TPN coming down! You'll hopefully be tube free in no time :) and then everything crossed about going home!!

Definitely having your own food makes a difference, hospital food is grim. I lost about 2st last year when I was in hospital, partly because I was really ill, but also because the food was so awful I just didn't want to eat? I had quite a lot of crisps though, which was all I could face.

So glad things are sounding positive for you for once. *Hugs*

I'm still tentatively hoping that now the blockage that I didn't know about is gone, eating will be easier, as my surgeon and stoma nurse said it will be. It's not been too bad lately, considering it's still early days post-op. I also used to stick to the "little and often" eating rule - continually eating little bits. But I've found sometimes I like eating more after a good few hours' stretch with nothing at all, maybe just some juice or something. It's less of a chore when I'm not continually doing it.

BUT I am very scared. The blockage deteriorated more quickly because I was eating so much more. I know it would have blocked completely eventually eating less, but...

Then I got a septic fungal infection from theTPN line that was feeding me.

My body just resists weight gain no matter what I do. I told my doctors food makes me sick, I told them that the more I ate the faster it would damage my digestive system and it did. :(

I was so worried the nutrition gastro would want a new TPN line put in, that when she definitely didn't I was too relieved to tell her what I'm afraid of - that she'll expect me to go back to eating the amounts that led to the blockage, tell me a target weight and that I can't go home til I meet it so I'm pressured to gain weight too quickly. I just want to stay in hospital until I've finished the treatment of the infection and got the strength and movement back in my paralysed side, and know that I'm eating enough to get my weight going gently in a general upward trend, then go home. :(