• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dislike red meat. Is it crohns?

I've developed a general dislike of red meats. I used to love a good steak, but now I'll order chicken any day instead. I'm not sure if this is related to my CD or just a personal preference change. I'm on Remicade and Imuran. Anyone else experience this?

When diagnosed I was vegetarian and red meat in particular really turned my stomach, but so did anything overly sweet like chocolate and desserts.

I do eat some chicken and fish now to combat the anaemia but I still can't bring myself to eat red meat. I do enjoy sweet stuff now and again whereas before even the thought gave me horrendous nausea.

I don't know if this evolves over time with treatment/the location of disease activity? It's an interesting one. Do you see a dietitian at all? That was very helpful for me.

Best of luck!

When diagnosed I was vegetarian and red meat in particular really turned my stomach, but so did anything overly sweet like chocolate and desserts.

I do eat some chicken and fish now to combat the anaemia but I still can't bring myself to eat red meat. I do enjoy sweet stuff now and again whereas before even the thought gave me horrendous nausea.

I don't know if this evolves over time with treatment/the location of disease activity? It's an interesting one. Do you see a dietitian at all? That was very helpful for me.

Best of luck!
I do not. Hm that's weird, I used to be a sugar addict lol. I constantly ate sweets and used tons of sugar. But now I can barely stand sweets. I've gotten a little better with it, but I still can't bring myself to drink sweet tea. It's really weird to like unsweet tea especially since I live in the south.

I do not. Hm that's weird, I used to be a sugar addict lol. I constantly ate sweets and used tons of sugar. But now I can barely stand sweets. I've gotten a little better with it, but I still can't bring myself to drink sweet tea. It's really weird to like unsweet tea especially since I live in the south.

It's definitely got better for me with treatment, is your Crohn's well controlled?

As far as i recall it contains a high amount of preformed arachidonic acid, which is a precursor to inflammatory compounds in the body. See it could enhance inflammatory response. Also meat in general isn't too great for a microbiome in a dysbiotic state, IBD patients have profound imbalance of good to bad bacteria in our intestine.

Bufford

I wonder if it triggers a meat rejection action by the body. As time goes on I find that I sometimes just cannot get the meat down. I can eat a couple of mouth fulls and I feel full and cannot tolerate another fork full, yet I can eat the vegies without too much effort. Going back years ago I had no trouble at all with eating huge steaks and pizzas.

Funny i fell on this post. When i first began Remicade (4 years ago, while i was also on Imuran, for at least the first 6 months of the treatment, I was suddenly disgusted by red meat to the point where i would chew it and was unable to swallow it. I've been eating red meat my whole life! I thought it was the strangest thing. It eventually passed and i sometimes enjoy a good steak every now and then. I've been in remission for 2 years and have no problem digesting it. I just don't have it often.

Funny i fell on this post. When i first began Remicade (4 years ago, while i was also on Imuran, for at least the first 6 months of the treatment, I was suddenly disgusted by red meat to the point where i would chew it and was unable to swallow it. I've been eating red meat my whole life! I thought it was the strangest thing. It eventually passed and i sometimes enjoy a good steak every now and then. I've been in remission for 2 years and have no problem digesting it. I just don't have it often.
Hm this is definitely something weird