• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Breaking the Vicious Cycle

Has anyone read or is trying the SCD described in the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle?

Diagnosed with Crohn's May 14, 2014
Med: Asacol HD oral and suppositories
Other health issues: Asthma

sure, i agree with the theory that lactose and sucrose are utilized by most pathogens in our gut and that our symptoms can be reduced by reducing our intake of these disacharrides. It wont cure you though, but it might put you in remission.

I've had a hard time making SCD homemade yogurt, so i dont do that as there is still lots of lactose in it i have found. It occured to me that it might be easier to buy plain yogurt from the store and put it directly in the yogurt maker to over ferment it for 24 hours, since store bought is like fermented for 4-6 hours, thats the only way that might make it easier. Anotehr idea is that there is a brand called lifeway kefir with made with multiple strains of PRObiotics and fermented for 24 hours and claims to be 99% lactose free, never tried it, but that may be easier then making your own yogurt.

I've never tried making anything from nut flours either, too much work. I also consume pinto beans and wheat, which i can digest somewhat successfully but corm rice and potatoes are the most problematic for me, which is in congruence with the SCD diet theory.

What has been the most helpful is avoiding lactose and sucrose,. even though the diet says fruits are ok, they contain too much sucrose so rarely eat fruit, and only in low quantitys. I have always had my diarhea under control for like five years now using this information from SCD without drugs, and my case is severe.

Last edited:
Thanks wildbill. I am new to all of this. Seeking a second dr opinion next week. Need one I can sit and have Q and A session.

I was on it for almost a year a few years ago and I'm now back on it. I did really well the first time. This time around I'm struggling psychologically with all the work. It's not easy.

also i would like to add, i never ate any meat even though the book says that it is part of the diet. i still don't eat any meat, it makes me worse and i take two forms of b12 adenosylcobalamin(cobamide) and methylcobalamin(blood just check everything a ok!!) and an iron supplement in ferritin form by cardiovascular research(also A ok!).

Thanks wildbill. I am new to all of this. Seeking a second dr opinion next week. Need one I can sit and have Q and A session.
Are you meeting with a doctor familiar with SCD? My first GI offered no guidance in terms of diet, and it seems pretty typical that most doctors won't acknowledge the influence of diet. I see a naturopath who advised me to do SCD.

I have been on SCD (along with Imuran and a couple supplements) for a little over 4 months and am doing well (I initially skipped the intro diet then went back and started with it about a month and a half ago). Officially in remission for about a month now.

SCD is challenging and emotional. I have found that dealing with, and letting go somewhat, the emotional connection I have with food might be the most challenging part.

I am getting to a point where I am more excited about the food I can make, though. There are a lot of SCD recipes out there to explore (After you get through the intro diet and are feeling well). It takes more planning for sure, but as you feel it making a difference it feels so worth it.

Last edited:
SCD is challenging and emotional. I have found that dealing with, and letting go somewhat, the emotional connection I have with food might be the most challenging part.
I agree and I struggle with this as well. SCD has revealed to me my unhealthy relationship with food. Well, I already knew that, but it's revealed to me even more. When you can't eat certain foods and you have a big emotional reaction to that it causes you to wonder why those foods are so important.

Thanks partlycloudy and Magnolia24. I went vegetarian about a year and a half ago with ease. I 'm not a "meat and potatoes" kind of gal any way. Hard time giving up cheese/dairy though. That was odd. It's amazing how many things I enjoyed involved cheese. I do realize the shift would be difficult as the SCD is more restricted than I am use too. It's just thought- provoking that a digestive disease does not have a certain general diet for Crohn's.

I had an ileostomy a few months ago and have a bag. After the surgery, I went on a combination SCD/Paleo diet and felt really great! A month ago, My dad passed away and I really fell off the diet wagon for a weekend resulting in a week long flare. i mean, I ate pizza and cinnamon rolls and my bag blew up twice ~ literally blew up. So gross. Soooo I am back on the diets (no meds) and will stick with it. That's when I feel the best!

Thanks partlycloudy and Magnolia24. I went vegetarian about a year and a half ago with ease. I 'm not a "meat and potatoes" kind of gal any way. Hard time giving up cheese/dairy though. That was odd. It's amazing how many things I enjoyed involved cheese. I do realize the shift would be difficult as the SCD is more restricted than I am use too. It's just thought- provoking that a digestive disease does not have a certain general diet for Crohn's.
Well, at least you can have cheese on SCD. :D I know what you mean though about not realizing how many cheese things you ate until you gave it up. That's how I feel about, oh, potatoes/rice/pasta. I had no idea my food life revolved around these items to such an extent. I've never been a meat kinda gal but could eat me some potatoes. Learning to cook around meat has been challenging. Edited to say learning to like it is the challenge. :D

The good news is I feel much better, pretty much from day one in terms of energy and that's a great motivation.

Soooo I am back on the diets (no meds) and will stick with it. That's when I feel the best!
I feel so much better eating like this as well. It keeps me motivated.

I had a temporary illeostomy a few years ago. First thing I did after barely waking up from my takedown was feel to see if that stoma was back inside. I'd pass out and wake up again and feel around again. I continued it even once I was home. I'd wake up during the night and make sure it was gone. :)

Having had one myself I'm laughing my head off at your bag blowing up. :rof: I often wondered if that was possible as mine would get pretty puffed up sometimes. I hope your explosion happened in private at least.

I'm so sorry about your father.

partlycloudy ~ I am having mine removed Friday :)
I am excited and nervous! Ha ha, like you, I will probably be double checking my bag-less stomach for weeks! Was your surgery a success? Did it eliminate most of your problems for a while?

Are you still vegetarian? I was pescetarian before I started SCD, and chose to add chicken and beef back into my diet. I know that there are SCD vegetarians, but it seems very difficult to do it healthfully.

And yes. I think it is shameful that there isn't more research into the role diet plays in IBD, and I think doctors do a terrible disservice to sick people by denying that it has any effect.

partlycloudy ~ I am having mine removed Friday :)
I am excited and nervous! Ha ha, like you, I will probably be double checking my bag-less stomach for weeks! Was your surgery a success? Did it eliminate most of your problems for a while?
Congratulations!! I was counting the days and hours, lol. One day you'll laugh at all your bag adventures like I do.

I had mine in 1999 for something that had nothing to do with Crohn's. I had a nodule of endometriosis wrapped around and constricting my colon so they had to remove that section and put in an illeostomy.

Are you still vegetarian? I was pescetarian before I started SCD, and chose to add chicken and beef back into my diet. I know that there are SCD vegetarians, but it seems very difficult to do it healthfully.

And yes. I think it is shameful that there isn't more research into the role diet plays in IBD, and I think doctors do a terrible disservice to sick people by denying that it has any effect.

Mostly. I have fallen off the wagon a few times. Especially holidays are difficult when eating at other's houses and you try to be polite. I will eat small amounts of chicken occasionally. In reference to the dr I'm seeing next week, I don't know if they are familiar with SCD. Thought I would ask though.

Right now my biggest issue is diarrhea. I was passing blood, but looks like it is significantly calming down. But the diarrhea is causing me to loose weight I can't afford. I'm 5'4' and was 118 lbs. Currently 108 lbs.