• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My cat and I both have IBD

I was diagnosed with Crohn's a few months ago, but suffered severe pain for two and a half years. They put me on steroids and I'm about to start Cimzia. I feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel for me, so I'm okay for now.

But, just this week, my cat started vomiting like crazy, wouldn't poop, wouldn't eat, and was looking generally bad. Long story short, she has thickened intestine walls. The vet said it's IBD. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The vet said they'd put her on steroids and she'd probably be on them the rest of her life. She's 13yo. They are also putting in a feeding tube since she still isn't eating. She'll be coming home today or tomorrow.

I can't believe this. What are the odds? If my poor kitty has been suffering like me all these years, I feel so bad for her. Of course, in the back of my mind I can't help but wonder if she gave the disease to me, or if I gave it to her. haha.

Oh no! Hope your cats feel better soon.

The same happened with the cats we adopted! Brother and sister cats were adopted as kittens. Shortly after we got them it was discovered that both had severe diarrhea issues. The female cat also began to scratch her self to the point that she would create large sores on the side of her face. It was awful.

The vets didn't know what to do. They didn't have solutions. In the end I found an answer by changing the cats food. Now their stomach problems are gone. The female cats has stopped scratching her self to the point of causing sores.

I don't know what causes the cats stomach and itching problems. I have a clue though. 100% tuna does not cause the cats health issues. Both cats can eat 100% tuna with out problem. On the other hand regular typical tuna which has soy added along with spices will cause them to have diarrhea and to itch. Basically I figure one or of the other, soy or spices, will make our cats sick.

Oh no! Hope your cats feel better soon.

The same happened with the cats we adopted! Brother and sister cats were adopted as kittens. Shortly after we got them it was discovered that both had severe diarrhea issues. The female cat also began to scratch her self to the point that she would create large sores on the side of her face. It was awful.

The vets didn't know what to do. They didn't have solutions. In the end I found an answer by changing the cats food. Now their stomach problems are gone. The female cats has stopped scratching her self to the point of causing sores.

I don't know what causes the cats stomach and itching problems. I have a clue though. 100% tuna does not cause the cats health issues. Both cats can eat 100% tuna with out problem. On the other hand regular typical tuna which has soy added along with spices will cause them to have diarrhea and to itch. Basically I figure one or of the other, soy or spices, will make our cats sick.
I've been reading online that, like with humans, no one knows why cats get IBD. One theory is diet and some say they have good luck just changing their foods, so we are going to work on that. She normally would not eat wet food at all, but since she will have a feeding tube, we can give her whatever we want, so we will try high quality food.

I just think it's crazy that we both have it.

Bufford

When both people and pets suffer similar symptoms it makes me wonder if there could be specific environmental problems being the cause, either in the house or from the water supply or other factors.

I've been reading online that, like with humans, no one knows why cats get IBD. One theory is diet and some say they have good luck just changing their foods, so we are going to work on that. She normally would not eat wet food at all, but since she will have a feeding tube, we can give her whatever we want, so we will try high quality food.

I just think it's crazy that we both have it.
i know what you mean. It is funny and ironic in a way.

My IBD condition responds to diet changes. I've been writing about my attempt to find a solution for my condition in another thread. What's humorous at the moment is I've avoiding spices and having good success at the moment improving my health. I don't know if spices will be the answer for me. Time will tell. it might be that the cats and I share the same allergy though garlic/spices. :rof:

I live in Florida also. i'm not elderly but guess, if this recent diet works for me I could eat the cats food and not become sick. Doubt anyone around here would question the cat food diet.

When both people and pets suffer similar symptoms it makes me wonder if there could be specific environmental problems being the cause, either in the house or from the water supply or other factors.
I agree. I also think my husband has IBD as well, but he doesn't want to bother going to the doctor. I wonder how many people actually have this disease but their symptoms aren't bad enough to go to a doctor and get a diagnosis. This could be more widespread than we think, so maybe there is something more going on than just "genetics" or whatever it is that scientists think cause this disease.

The more I read about IBD, the more confused I get, so at this point I believe anything is possible. LOL.

Scipio

Or it could be from an infectious agent that the human caught from the cat or vice versa.

Bufford

Western diet has long been blamed as a contributer to IBS. I wonder about all that plastic packaging our foods come in as well as all the plastics/synthetics found in our homes and workplaces.

I'm an old hippie, have always cooked from scratch. Drank well water. Don't buy anything in plastic packaging. My idea of junk food is the occasional macaroni and cheese from a box, or a cake mix. I got Crohn's anyway.

I'm an old hippie, have always cooked from scratch. Drank well water. Don't buy anything in plastic packaging. My idea of junk food is the occasional macaroni and cheese from a box, or a cake mix. I got Crohn's anyway.
The culprit is the cake mix. :rof: Just kidding. lol

Crohn's is so frustrating. As I'm sure we all know. It's like the people who smoke packs of cigarettes a day and live to 100, but then an athlete keels over from a heart attack. Who knows. All we can do is keep trying to figure out what works for us and hope for the best. And not get too stressed over all of the information and conflicting information because it can be quite overwhelming. :eek:

I had a cat with IBD for many years, he had terrible bleeding and diarrhoea but he lived a reasonably long life to about thirteen. It never occurred to me till now that there could be any connection, since he lived on Whiskas and I of course didn't. Probably just a coincidence though, I've had a lot of cats in my life and they've succumbed to many different ailments.