Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP Support Group

10-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #991
NuttyGuts

My Support Groups:
Yea, eating anything I want AND having normal BMs? Sounds pretty good to me- maybe the Remicade will work that well for me, too. Second infusion is scheduled for next Tuesday, and I have made sure to clear the calendar for Wed just in case I have a repeat performance. Are you getting infusions every two months now for maintenance? If so, how does your GI see how your gut is doing- blood tests after each infusion maybe?
10-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #992
awoenker12

My Support Groups:
NuttyGuts, yeah, I am now done with my loading doses and get infusions once every two months. Now as for blood work, I am not sure. When everything was under control and normal before remicade, I used to get my blood work done once every six months. Lately, we have been checking once every two months because of a flare from last year. This is exactly why I am on remicade now. I use to be on pentasa.

I do have a question for you though. Is your doctor doing a combination therapy with you? Meaning a biologic and an immunosuppressant. My doctor is with me. I am on 6mp along with remicade. The reason I ask is because doing a combo therapy helps prevent antibodies forming to the biologic.
10-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #993
NuttyGuts

My Support Groups:
Hey, thank you for answering a question I hadn't even thought of yet. Yes, the GI doc has me taking 100mg azathioprine a day, and I wasn't clear on why. It prevents antibodies forming against the Remicade! I am also still taking 10mg prednisone a day, but after next week's infusion, will back off to 5mg and then hopefully be off it in a week or so afterwards. Gosh, I used to know almost nothing about drugs, and now it's a challenge learning this whole new world. So I think the azathioprine and Remicade solution is what they call a "top down" option. I think she chose this option for me because my Crohn's is classified as severe.
I think I will have to have surgery because of the strictures, but I am wondering if I feel okay on the Remicade and azathioprine should I hold off? The down side is that they will also cut out the appendix, cecum, and ileocecal valve, even though those are all fine. But if I delay, will I develop fistulas or abscesses or even more strictures? I am not sure what to do at this point, but will be seeing both the GI doc and surgeon again in a couple weeks.
10-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #994
awoenker12

My Support Groups:
The top down approach is what I hear a lot of doctors do. The belief is to get it under control sooner with the biologics and prevent future complications that could lead to surgery. If you feel good with azathioprine and Remicade, I don't see why you would have to have surgery. I guess the only way to tell if you really need it is if they perform a colonoscopy to check for strictures and abscesses. Surgery is typically a last resort if no medication works. So I guess you will just have to wait to see how the Remicade and azathioprine work for you. Fortunately for me, my condition is mild to moderate and I have been through very long stretches of remission with no complications whatsoever.
10-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #995
NuttyGuts

My Support Groups:
Hey, that's great! Glad to hear it's possible to have long times of remission!
10-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #996
awoenker12

My Support Groups:
Yes, it's very possible to have years of remission. Before Remicade, while I was on Pentasa, I had about six years of remission. That was when my disease was very mild. Hopefully the Remicade will keep me in remission that long or even longer.
10-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #997
vanphuccity

My Support Groups:
Sorry to change the subject.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP Support Group