• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Energy drink

rygon

Ive been umming and arring whether to post this but Ive been having this energy drink for 3mnths and its been pretty good.
I bought it as I do get fatigued (especially on nights working) and this stuff hasnt got caffine which upsets my stomach loads

It does seem to have loads of sugar tho.

I find it doesnt give you the big buzz redbull/relentless does, but more gentle, and lasts approx3-4hrs, without the crash/downcome like caffine can do

http://www.phd-supplements.com/store/p/1/1/Battery.html

Im not a nutritienist so cant say if its good or bad for you, except it works for me. Doesnt give me loads of energy but enough for what i need (normally going to the gym at 3am when working on nights lol)

David

Co-Founder
Super unhealthy but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I still love ya :)

:hug:

P.S. Condolences to your pancreas.

P.P.S. If you'd like to brainstorm other, more healthy pick-me-ups I'd be happy to.

Hmm...It does look quite calorific but the 2 scoops one doesnt seem too bad. I think at the end of the day it will do what it needs to do in terms of giving u energy, and rehydrating you.

Why do you say its so bad David? (Not saying your wrong, I might be wrong I'm still learning!) :p

I've tried many of these over the years, and haven't found any that really do anything they claim, but that just may be me.

I myself like either lucozade sport or powerade, but that's mainly due to taste and they always seem to be on offer at the supermarket.

Rygon - are there any vitamins that maybe you could try to give u a boost? I used to take centrum performance vitamins which I have to say did give me a boost, but I see they contain caffeine?! If it works for you, keep taking it, that's what I say. Has anything ever come up when you've had your blood test? I always ask my consultant about what I plan to take vitamin wise, and the only thing which he says to steer clear of is 'creatine'.

David

Co-Founder
Hmm...It does look quite calorific but the 2 scoops one doesnt seem too bad. I think at the end of the day it will do what it needs to do in terms of giving u energy, and rehydrating you.

Why do you say its so bad David? (Not saying your wrong, I might be wrong I'm still learning!) :p
Sorry for the delay replying!

Believe me, I'm still very much learning as well. So if you have information that refutes mine, please educate me :)

I agree that it will give energy and rehydrate, but my main concern is digestion of the three primary ingredients in someone with a damaged digestive system (such as a Crohnie). The three primary ingredients are:

Dextrose, Fructose, Maltodextrin

Holy sugar and carbs batman!

In my opinion, maltodextrin is TERRIBLE. It is a very short chain of glucose molecules and it is very hard to digest, especially in those with inflammation and worse as the intestinal surface has been compromised. There are a bunch of cells lining your intestines that have little villi that become damaged due to IBD. These are the guys that help digest and then absorb disaccharides, trisaccharides, lactose, carbohydrates, etc. If they aren't working right or are damaged then these sugars and carbs end up fueling problematic bacteria in the digestive system which can get out of control and cause havoc. I don't think many in western medicine believe this though, so take it as you will :)

Fructose is implicated in all sorts of bad ways including feeding cancer cells. In addition, it's derived from corn and often contains trisaccharides that I mentioned above.

This is part of the reason I really like the paleo diet for people with IBD. It explicitly avoids these. I've just started researching the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but it seems they avoid them as well, but don't quote me on that :)

Took emer-gen C one day when was feeling sick. It gave me energy did not know I had. Don't know if any of u have any info on that but I think might b something good to take when energy done. Looked like had a lot of b vitamins an a lot of c. Any one know anything about this?

Oh ok. I was looking at it in a general health point of view, which is the way I am taught everything.
I havn't ever really looked into Crohn's and diet much. Maybe because I have lots of other things to do and although it is interesting on a personal level, its a bit of a side track in terms of my degree.
Thanks for explaining! :)

Also - Just a thought I want to add for Rygon. I think the main thing you have to be careful with with all these energy drinks is the supplements they add in there. Things like creatine, caffeine and bicarbonate have a lot of evidence supporting the benefits. But for things like antioxident supplements or glutamine, Coenzyme Q10, nitric oxide have very little or no evidence supporting fitness claims.
Just something to look out for because they can be advertised a lot in fitness magazines and health shops or even gyms will have targets to sell things when they have had no proper training and they can be talking rubbish!
There was an incident where someone working at the gym recommended a caffeine supplement but he didn't check if the lady had any heart problems. She died and he got sued!