• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and soil borne bacteria and fungus.

Just a quick question. I've just started Remicade a couple of days ago as AZA and 6 MP didn't cut the mustard, so to speak. I've been off work for the last 3 months on long service leave ( i.e. self funded sick leave) as I was too wonky to operate machinery and had nausea and fatigue without let up. Also I normally work outdoors - so 50+ sun screen and full winter clothes in burning Western Australian heat.

OK.

What is the risk with Remicade doing its thang and me working with soils and composts with all their related flora and fauna amongst it? How susceptible will I bend what are the risks for a compromised immune system? I'm not talking about putting the odd tomato plant in a pot, but rather a tractor and tonnes of dirty, smelly, steamy stuff. Risky........or not?

Also the UV and cancer risk- I'm not talking trotting outside occasionally- I'm normally paid to be out getting fried everyday in the heat. Any info would be appreciated greatly.
Cheers- D.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Hi Dacklemann

That's an interesting question about working with soils,compost,etc..I garden but not on the level you are talking about.I have been on Remicade since July,now on the maintenance schedule of every 8 weeks. I was worried about catching every cold and gleep going around.I was worried about infections from cuts or abrasions,also. Personally,I have not found my compromised immune system has made me 'more sick'.We all react differently,though.Since starting Remicade I have had cuts,scrapes,scratches,etc. from trying to live a normal life and have not had any serious infections.I clean any cut as soon as it happens.

Have you discussed these concerns with the doctor that prescribed Remicade for you? Have you checked out the Remicade Support Group?

Cheers Dave- just wondering if anybody else had experience questioning this. It was brought up by my partner who is a nurse and uni lecturer in health and has a vested interest in me remaining fit and healthy. Looks like I'll be asking the gastro doctor and head gastro nurse on the next appt. My normal work life is full of getting dirty cut, abrasions, etc. Need a change anyway- midlife crisis- something maybe with air conditioning would be nice...

On the good news front- within 4 days of my first infusion I'm not quite so fatigued and the nausea is still there with AZA still in the system but feels like I can deal with it better as it is getting slowly flushed out of the system. Still cramps, but yeah, feels like I'm turning a corner.
Cheers- El Dacko.

Dackelmann-
Please post when you have any answer to your question, which is a good one. In the US, i find the guidance and information lacking in this area. I have a young child on Remicade who is further suppressed with methotrexate and I have wondered about visiting farms, friends' homes with livestock, indoor water parks, and other locations that could present increased infection risk.

Just a quick question. I've just started Remicade a couple of days ago as AZA and 6 MP didn't cut the mustard, so to speak. I've been off work for the last 3 months on long service leave ( i.e. self funded sick leave) as I was too wonky to operate machinery and had nausea and fatigue without let up. Also I normally work outdoors - so 50+ sun screen and full winter clothes in burning Western Australian heat.

OK.

What is the risk with Remicade doing its thang and me working with soils and composts with all their related flora and fauna amongst it? How susceptible will I bend what are the risks for a compromised immune system? I'm not talking about putting the odd tomato plant in a pot, but rather a tractor and tonnes of dirty, smelly, steamy stuff. Risky........or not?

Also the UV and cancer risk- I'm not talking trotting outside occasionally- I'm normally paid to be out getting fried everyday in the heat. Any info would be appreciated greatly.
Cheers- D.
Well, many of the bacteria that are found on your skin and normal microbiota are also found in the soil. I can go on a whole microbiology rant yada yada yada, but there is always a risk, especially when your immune system is below par. I could make several suggestions; after dealing with soil and everything make sure to clean your hands and nail beds- try to avoid touching eyes, mouth etc. When you get the chance shower and clean yourself thoroughly. AFTERWARDS make sure you are completely dried off before resuming activities or going to sleep. If there was any fungus or yeast cells the moisture can promote fungal/yeast growth. Hope that helps, and makes sense

Just another reply, esp. to acrohn42. I'm not particularly worried about cuts, etc, but it's what gets INHALED. Front end loader turning tonnes of big steamy compost and manures as well as soils. Also opening of composted and soil products from sealed bags.
I'll keep you posted when I have my next appointment. It's always good to have food for thought.
Dackelmeister.

Just another reply, esp. to acrohn42. I'm not particularly worried about cuts, etc, but it's what gets INHALED. Front end loader turning tonnes of big steamy compost and manures as well as soils. Also opening of composted and soil products from sealed bags.
I'll keep you posted when I have my next appointment. It's always good to have food for thought.
Dackelmeister.
Ahhhhh. Ok, inhalation is much different than absorption or anything like that. Yes, let me know what you learn about it. I am interested to know what precautions they suggest to take. I never really though about something affecting me by inhalation besides getting sick and everything from other people. Keep in touch and good luck.