• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's & IBD in the Daily Mail!

I think it's a really great article!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...aginable-pain-inflammatory-bowel-disease.html

"It's great to see it in the papers, spreading the awareness. I also noted quite a interesting comment by a reader:
I suffered from Ulcerative Collitis for five years in the UK. Then I moved to Germany. My German GP told me that these diseases are 'very rare' in Germany and sure enough after six months my illness has all but disappeared.
Over here food is not irradiated like the UK and I can only assume the bacterial fauna of the colon are somehow affected by this radiation. Regardless of whether this is right or wrong there must be some enviromental effect taking place"

Dallies

Dragonfly
I also think it's a great article. thanks for posting it. The Rock Ball sounds great as well http://www.rickparfittjnr.com/rpjcrohns.asp A walking skeleton was exactly as I would have described Megs at the height of her illness but since her op she has put all her weight back on and looks and feels great. Hope you are well Bobby. xx

Last edited:

Astra

Hi Bobby, and thanks, it is a good article, and about time the media were aware!
Interesting about 5 ways to avoid bowel cancer, I'm half way there, I don't drink alcohol or eat red meat anymore, dunno about the fags tho! Naughty me!

I didn't like it at all. "85% need surgery " (never come across a number that high) and "develop cancer and many die"

Nice to see awareness being raised but talk about scaremongering!

Yep! And the Daily Mail is notorious for scare mongering, but this article was actually written by a london surgeon. So, of course he is going to think 85% need surgery, those are all the patients he sees! Would have been better coming from a GI doctor.

Having said that, I don't mind a bit of scaremongering if it gets the message across that this is a serious disease, it's not just 'a tummyache' or 'a bit of the runs'.

:grumpy:
I think it's a really great article!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...aginable-pain-inflammatory-bowel-disease.html

"It's great to see it in the papers, spreading the awareness. I also noted quite a interesting comment by a reader:
I suffered from Ulcerative Collitis for five years in the UK. Then I moved to Germany. My German GP told me that these diseases are 'very rare' in Germany and sure enough after six months my illness has all but disappeared.
Over here food is not irradiated like the UK and I can only assume the bacterial fauna of the colon are somehow affected by this radiation. Regardless of whether this is right or wrong there must be some enviromental effect taking place"
So, you don't have crohns any more? I'm confused? Sue