• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Short Bowel Syndrome

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
I realize that Short Bowel Syndrome occurs when one does not have enough small intestine. But if one does not have a colon, what nutrients, vitamins and minerals am I missing out on?

I currently take the following supplements: vitamin D3, calcium, vitamin e, B complex, folic acid (to mitigate side effects from methotrexate), and a multivitamin.

Mahalo!

You'll want to speak with your surgeon to find out how much/which parts of your small Bowel is missing. Each part absorbs different nutrients, and in some cases (like b12), you may not be able to take the supplement by mouth.

Having no colon, you are not necessarily missing out on nutrients. The majority of absorption of nutrients happens in the small intestine and the majority of water absorption happens in the colon. Without a colon you have a greater risk of dehydration and need to alter your diet to accommodate this. For instance, in addition to drinking a lot of water than I previously did, I now eat more salty foods and more potatoes than I did before having an ileostomy, as these slow down my output and therefore I am not losing as much water as I would without this increase.

Having no colon, you are not necessarily missing out on nutrients. The majority of absorption of nutrients happens in the small intestine and the majority of water absorption happens in the colon. Without a colon you have a greater risk of dehydration and need to alter your diet to accommodate this. For instance, in addition to drinking a lot of water than I previously did, I now eat more salty foods and more potatoes than I did before having an ileostomy, as these slow down my output and therefore I am not losing as much water as I would without this increase.
CFL stayed that they are missing parts of their small Bowel, so nutrient absorption is an issue.

You are correct as far as missing colons go, we don't have too much to worry about.

CFL stayed that they are missing parts of their small Bowel, so nutrient absorption is an issue.

You are correct as far as missing colons go, we don't have too much to worry about.
No, the question was "if one does not have a colon, what nutrients, vitamins and minerals am I missing out on?" See below:

I realize that Short Bowel Syndrome occurs when one does not have enough small intestine. But if one does not have a colon, what nutrients, vitamins and minerals am I missing out on?

I currently take the following supplements: vitamin D3, calcium, vitamin e, B complex, folic acid (to mitigate side effects from methotrexate), and a multivitamin.

Mahalo!

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
Thanks guys...
My question was about not having a colon. My surgeon did say that 2 feet of small intestine was removed...but that it shouldn't be a problem.

Mahalo!

Thanks guys...
My question was about not having a colon. My surgeon did say that 2 feet of small intestine was removed...but that it shouldn't be a problem.

Mahalo!
Was it the latter part of your small intestine (the ileum) which they removed? There are quite a few nutrients absorbed in that section and I'm surprised that they would say it shouldn't be a problem. Granted, our ileum can be up to 13ft in length, but malabsorption is a common issue with Crohn's.

Are you scheduled for regular blood work? Specifically testing your b12, Vitamin k and Vitamin d levels. This would be the only way real way to know if your body isn't absorbing something.

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
Yes it was the ileum, and no, my blood work is to make sure the methotrexate is not killing my liver. I will ask doctor to check on my b12, k and d levels.

Thank you!