• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help - going swimming?

Next week I am planning to take my wee lad swimming for the first time since I had my surgery (15 years ago).

Even though my wee pal has never come off or got loose in the bath, it doesn't stop me worrying.

Does anybody know where I can get a large waterproof plaster, like the one shown in this video http://youtu.be/M8ZHO9Bo09I

TIA :)

nogutsnoglory

I also saw that Japanese product commercial on youtube and would love to buy it but don't know where. An equivalent would be fine too.

How big is this tegaderm you are using nyx? Is it opaque? I guess one could use a few tegaderm to cover.

Nyx

I buy it in a roll and just cut what I need. It's clear, and very thin, but very, very waterproof. It's what they use in hospitals (here anyway).

nogutsnoglory

Ahhh didn't know it comes in a roll. I bought some of the patches (sooo expensive).

They use them in hospitals mainly for the IV here.

PsychoJane

I don't use any kind of tape and my appliance behave properly. I can spend several hours in water without having issues. I'm a water lover and I never had a problem!

Thanks all.

I know there won't be an issue as I normally need a crow bar to get it off, but as a precaution I have but some 20cm x 30cm off eBay.

Might see if I can get it on my prescription as I pay my taxes :)

I've spent a lot of time in the water, pools, lakes and ocean. I haven't had any problems with my appliance coming loose. I don't use anything extra to seal it, either. Just to be safe, though, I usually change it after a particularly long day in the water. I've had my ileostomy for over 30 years.

Hi gers, I use something called Opsite flexifix, It's basically the same as tagaderm but just cheaper, it comes in strips that you can cut how you want, I always use 4 strips in regardless of swimming or not to secure my baseplate and it works wonders , especially when I go swimming. When I do swim I also occasionally put a square piece over my mucous fistula and it keeps that dry too. You can get it for free from your supplier too.

Hi gers, I use something called Opsite flexifix, It's basically the same as tagaderm but just cheaper, it comes in strips that you can cut how you want, I always use 4 strips in regardless of swimming or not to secure my baseplate and it works wonders"
I'm going to try both this product, and the Tegaderm, since my supplier carries them both. It looks like it's more cost effective to buy wider rolls and then cut it down the middle.

nogutsnoglory

I have since tried the tegaderm roll in the shower over the baseplate alone and it works well. The only thing is you can't take the tegaderm off after because you risk pulling the whole appliance off and for those of us with belly hair it hurts!

I have since tried the tegaderm roll in the shower over the baseplate alone and it works well. The only thing is you can't take the tegaderm off after because you risk pulling the whole appliance off and for those of us with belly hair it hurts!
I wonder if it's worth the effort to use a product like Medipore (cloth tape) and then put the waterproof tape over it. The cloth tape is often way easier to remove and the waterproof tape is, well... waterproof.

I'm using Hy-Tape now and I sometimes have problems removing it from the wafer.

nogutsnoglory

It's an idea but so much prep work. I find HY type is ok to remove from the wafer but it also rips out my hair around the wafer so it hurts.

It's an idea but so much prep work. I find HY type is ok to remove from the wafer but it also rips out my hair around the wafer so it hurts.
Hairs + adhesives = bad time. Since my surgery in November, I've been shaving all the hair on my abdomen with every appliance change. Since my belly has seen a lot of medical tapes, it minimizes problems, but I find the most painful hairs are these tiny ones you can't even see on the outer side of my appliance. I often bust out the rubbing alcohol or adhesive remover wipes to remove tape on that side.

There's a fine balance between something that's waterproof which doesn't stick well or sticks too well... but, we keep trying. :ybatty:

nogutsnoglory

I have been shaving the area the appliance goes over but not the area I sometimes add tape to strengthen the border. I actually find it's the large hairs that hurt me, the tiny ones that grow or I can't get to under the stoma don't bother me much if I peel slowly.

I'm going to try both this product, and the Tegaderm, since my supplier carries them both. It looks like it's more cost effective to buy wider rolls and then cut it down the middle.
Sorry I meant to say I get rolls of it, The ones I get are 1 metre by 10cm's I think, so when I cut strips of it it's perfect.

nogutsnoglory, I know what you mean about it pulling the base plate of if you try and take the tagaderm/opsite off, It is very sticky stuff, But I actually put the flexifix on when I change my appliance and it stays on till i take the appliance off a few days later, regardless of whether I go swimming or have baths etc, for me atleast it seems totally waterproof and stays in place. Although if it is itching/hurting your skin whilst it is on then maybe taking it off is the best option.