• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need advice

need advice

Someone with experience could possibly help me. I am young but been sick most my life and had symptoms of crohns since 2007 finally dx in 2010 my question is with someone with severe crohns taking remicade can I even get pregnant? I'm worried ill never be able to have kids I feel selfish for saying this but idk if I'm willing to stop remi and risk my health to concieve. Any advice is welcome :)

Someone with experience could possibly help me. I am young but been sick most my life and had symptoms of crohns since 2007 finally dx in 2010 my question is with someone with severe crohns taking remicade can I even get pregnant? I'm worried ill never be able to have kids I feel selfish for saying this but idk if I'm willing to stop remi and risk my health to concieve. Any advice is welcome :)
hi,

talk to your ob/gyn they would point to your right direction. i don't have crohns my husband has been having crohns for 17 years he go it when he was 15 years old. he has been on remiciade for about 5 years. he has been tolerating remiciade well. i am pregnant 7 weeks.

you might want to consider seeing a high risk ob/gyn. as they can monitor your more and order more tests once you do get pregnant.

good luck

maryam,

Yes you can!!! I was on Remicade for over a year when I got pregnant with my now 4 yr old son. I stopped taking it when I found out though because at the time my dr was unsure about any risks for the baby. I'm not sure about the research since then and whether it is good during pregnancy or not now though. At the time the remicade had put me into remission and I actually stayed that way even without meds until recently when I had my second child. The stopping of breastfeeding brought on a new flare and now I'm on Humira.
So in short, YES you can. Just keep in mind that if you are very sick at the time and not ovulating because of general health or even stress, that may be the reason not necessarily the remicade. But keep hope, and it's not selfish at all to think the way you are but remember, if you are relying heavily on the meds, then stopping them to have a child may make you too sick to take care of that child. Just a thought to keep in the back of your mind. I selfishly decided since stopping the remicade that all was well and i was "all better" so I never went back on any meds. Well like I said after my second child I ended up going back into a severe flare which put me in hospital for a wk and onto humira. I felt terrible having to rely on my husband and grandparents to take care of my 1 and 4 yr old. I'm a stay at home mom so that was basically my world being taken away from me because I was too sick to take care of myself let alone my children. Looking back I should have kept up with my GI and stayed on some sort of meds to avoid such a bad flare.. hindsight.... :)
Anyway, hope I can offer some hope at least !