• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Healthy ow residue

Hi guys I have been put on antibiotics due to an abscess and I have gone from tolerating pretty much everything without much pain and discomfort too having bad cramps and pain again and suffering after fresh foods.

The doctor said it's common to get an upset stomach on antibiotics even for people without gut troubles.

So anyway the IBD team that's monitoring me at the moment have suggested I go on a low residue diet like you do during flares. but all I find myself eating on a low residue diet is lot's of crap processed foods and just lot's of carb's I need suggestions for a healthier ow residue diet if such a thing exists

Hi guys I have been put on antibiotics due to an abscess and I have gone from tolerating pretty much everything without much pain and discomfort too having bad cramps and pain again and suffering after fresh foods.

The doctor said it's common to get an upset stomach on antibiotics even for people without gut troubles.

So anyway the IBD team that's monitoring me at the moment have suggested I go on a low residue diet like you do during flares. but all I find myself eating on a low residue diet is lot's of crap processed foods and just lot's of carb's I need suggestions for a healthier ow residue diet if such a thing exists

I'm also interested in this. I've been doing low residue for 12 months and it feels like all I can eat is rubbish and carbs as you say.

Hope you feel better soon!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I try to eat a diet that is fairly Japanese-esque as those foods sit really well with me. So I have a lot of rice, fish, noodles, broth, eggs, some veggies (usually steamed veggies). Maybe not the healthiest ever diet, a fair amount of carbs for sure, but I try to stay away from processed food as much as I can so I feel like it's not a terrible diet. I don't know that it's possible to eat a truly healthy diet while sticking to low residue, unfortunately. If you can do juice, you could try juicing fresh fruits and veggies - you don't get the fiber that way, but you do get the nutrients. Good luck!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Soph, yes, my understanding is that blending fruits & veggies will not remove the fiber, but juicing will. So I always go for juicing rather than blending as I know that fiber (particularly insoluble fiber) is not my friend.

Bufford

Low residue diets don't have to be that bad. Try eatting hard cheese like cheddar, rice, chicken, fish, eggs, fruits like melons, fruit juices and honey. Stay away from processed foods.

Low residue diets don't have to be that bad. Try eatting hard cheese like cheddar, rice, chicken, fish, eggs, fruits like melons, fruit juices and honey. Stay away from processed foods.
All I seem to be doing is eating processed crap I eat a lot of sushi but bought from the socal sushi joint so don't know what's really in there. I have been eating way too much white bread as it's the only one that doesn't seem to upset me.

I bought some papaya the other day still need to get into it. yeah for me low residue =junk or just lost and don't know how to stay healthy then my mood and mind suffer as well.

Bufford

You might want to experiment by going off things like processed cheese, I love the soft cheese, but within a couple of days my skin gets itchy flaky patches, and the cramps and indigestion set in. Seems all I can tolerate these days are very boring foods.

Yeah but the way I look at it is all the boring food is real food. All the frozen and processed garbage has only been around since the 1950's cause most of that stuff from what I have Read was used for rations for troops in WW2 as a cost effective way to feed the masses of troops then they had galons of the preservatives and chemicals and artificial stuff left over.
so the government's gave all that stuff to the food manufacturers that were making the ration packs and army food and it made it's way into the supermarkets with the advent of the frozen food's tv diners etc...