• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A good crohns diet

Everything I eat bad or good hurts me! I really can't afford a full gluten diet or a full organic one. Please a little help! Thanks

Need help everything bothers me. So I eat at home diffrently than I do out. I wish can afford gluten only or no wheat! I'am just a worker and $ tight like for alot of people what do Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You always see "foods to avoid" everywhere... But you never see "foods your safe to eat"

Even on here, noone gives an eating plan of things that are good to eat.

Maybe its because everyones different, Most the things on that list i can eat no problem.

KWalker

Danico is right, it's tough because everybody is different. For me I would say to cut out processed foods and eat lots of meat, fruit/vegetables and nuts and for others that would be a nightmare. Do you eat a lot of fast food and frozen food from the grocery store?

Personally I've found that I do best with kefir milk, chicken, seafood and fish, and very soft vegetables. I use expeller-pressed, unrefined coconut oil in my cooking and keep spices to a minimum. Lactose-free yogurt is good, and canned peeled fruit. I can also eat bananas. I also use and drink almond milk or coconut milk. low-pulp or no-pulp orange juice seems okay too. Pureed soups also agree with me. I hope this helps! I tried to give you things that are okay for me and not "no-nos"!

You always see "foods to avoid" everywhere... But you never see "foods your safe to eat"

Even on here, noone gives an eating plan of things that are good to eat.

Maybe its because everyones different, Most the things on that list i can eat no problem.
Lucky!

Danico is right, it's tough because everybody is different. For me I would say to cut out processed foods and eat lots of meat, fruit/vegetables and nuts and for others that would be a nightmare. Do you eat a lot of fast food and frozen food from the grocery store?
no to the fast food but yes to frozen veggies. Nuts can' have might hurt j-pouch Thanks

Personally I've found that I do best with kefir milk, chicken, seafood and fish, and very soft vegetables. I use expeller-pressed, unrefined coconut oil in my cooking and keep spices to a minimum. Lactose-free yogurt is good, and canned peeled fruit. I can also eat bananas. I also use and drink almond milk or coconut milk. low-pulp or no-pulp orange juice seems okay too. Pureed soups also agree with me. I hope this helps! I tried to give you things that are okay for me and not "no-nos"!
Thank you will try

Thinks that are very low cost and that I do not have problem with even when I had a flare:

Porridge: Basically oats cooked with water and a bit of milk, only a tad of sugar - make sure it is watery and that the oats are not shredded but flattened bigger pieces

Potato mash: Use smaller potatoes for that (not the big ones), peal and cook in water. A bit of butter and maybe a tad of milk and mash. You can have a bit of cooked chicken breast with that or lightly pan fry the chicken breast (pieces) with a little veggie oil.

Rice with chicken: rice, cooked, don't salt much if at all, chicken as above

Polenta: either alone or with the chicken, just cook say 1 cup of water and steer a bit (not that much) of polenta in, keep steering it will thicken, add water if it thickens too much, it should be a bit watery - salt slightly if at all and eat.

Semolina porridge: milk/water (either a mixture or only milk if you can handle milk), steer in semolina, cook for 3 minutes and let rest 5 minutes, eat (can be hot)

Bread with butter and honey: If you don't use white bread but darker bread (the light dark plain bread - not every type works) spread a bit of butter on it and a bit of honey. Have camomile tea with it or some other tea you can drink - only add sugar very lightly to it.

Hi. For me, low fibre options are best. Relatively cheap foods that are easy on my digestion include white rice, white bread, peanut butter (good if you need to gain weight), low-fibre breakfast cereals like cornflakes or rice krispies, and bananas.

Limiting your diet may not be the best thing long term, but if you're going through a bad flare it might be worth limiting your diet for a while.

I've tried a diet of all organic food, and tried giving up dairy and gluten, etc. None of these things helped me at all, so even though the cost issue prevents you from trying some diets, they wouldn't necessarily help you anyway. That said, I think gluten or dairy free diets can be done without adding too much cost, though I don't think you could do a organic diet without spending quite a bit more.

And there are things that are generally not good for you which, by avoiding, you may be able to reduce the cost of your food if you're not avoiding them already. Alcohol would be the most obvious thing here. And by not eating out or ordering takeaways you can save some expenses. Again, you may do this already but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Of course it may be that you're going to feel bad at the moment no matter what you eat. Some times it's not the kind of food that matters - just eating sets off symptoms. If you're struggling with eating to the point of losing weight, it may be that you need to get checked out to see if your Crohn's is getting worse of if you've developed a complication, and perhaps you need a change in medication or something else unrelated to diet in order to make eating easier.

I've been reading the diet suggestions, and can't believe how different we all are!

No milk products for me. Only meat and potatos during a flare up. No fruits either. Canned veggies when I'm stable. Absolutely no salads. Man, I miss salads! Never thought I'd say that.

Good luck to you. I hope you find what works for you!

No milk for me either, and I'm missing salads too! Can't eat hardly any veggies during a flare, apparently - cooked broccoli today and am paying for it now. :( I'm trying the elimination diet, which says no potatoes or tomatoes, but it seems like a lot of people do eat potatoes and not have problems even during a flare. Anyone try lactaid ice cream?

Potatoes actually calm my gut sometimes. I can eat a lot of pasta also, but have to watch the sauce. Tried the lactaid and didn't see a difference. I'm trying frozen yogurt right now, but it's not looking good so far. Just trying to find some kind of dessert is really hard. I NEED sweets sometimes! I found that cotton candy of all things works OK. Haven't had any since I was a kid, but thought what the heck...

I've been reading the diet suggestions, and can't believe how different we all are!

No milk products for me. Only meat and potatos during a flare up. No fruits either. Canned veggies when I'm stable. Absolutely no salads. Man, I miss salads! Never thought I'd say that.

Good luck to you. I hope you find what works for you!
Thank You

No milk for me either, and I'm missing salads too! Can't eat hardly any veggies during a flare, apparently - cooked broccoli today and am paying for it now. :( I'm trying the elimination diet, which says no potatoes or tomatoes, but it seems like a lot of people do eat potatoes and not have problems even during a flare. Anyone try lactaid ice cream?
I don't have any problems with potatoes. I'd imagine that mashed potato would be easier to digest than a jacket potato with the skin on, but even the skins don't give me any noticeable problems, though they might if I were to eat too many of them.

Just to report back - the lactaid ice cream was a fail for me. Tried it again last night and still feel horrible this morning - crampy pain and no appetite. I wasn't able to finish a bowl of cream of rice this morning. Guess I will skip that from now on! I did well with mashed sweet potato with no skin last night, might try a regular potato with no skin soon. I'm just leery now, so many things hurt to eat.

Traumanurse - I know what you mean about the sweets! I keep wanting something desserty. Ugh but the canned fruit doesn't always cut it. I haven't found anything that works yet.