• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long do your bags last

I guess it depends on one or two-piece systems. I use a one-piece convex bag and my aim is to change it on Tues, Thurs and Sat and shower at the same time. My bags after two days are getting quite shabby and starting to fall apart and the velcro is no longer sticking properly.

Part of this, I'm sure, is due to me having to empty so often and therefore the bag handled more, although hopefully I've taken steps to reduce this. However, I have read some people are keeping the same bag on for 7-10 days - difficult to see how that's Possible.

Never used a two-piece system, but I assumed the theory was that you keep the wafer on for quite a time, while you change the actual bag more often, but in the company blurb, they seem to suggest changing the wafer every two days, which seems to defeat the object to me.

Just curious about peoples routines

DJW

Forum Monitor
I use convatec natural sur-fit two piece. I change every 4 days. The actual bag lasts 8-12 days. I HATE the Velcro system (some love it). I've been dealing with ulcrers under the wafer. Normally I get 7 day between changes .

Nyx

I also use a 2 piece system and get about 5 - 7 days out of my wafer, and I reuse my bags so I get months and months out of each bag (I just wash them out and reuse them).

I use convatec natural sur-fit two piece. I change every 4 days. The actual bag lasts 8-12 days. I HATE the Velcro system (some love it). I've been dealing with ulcrers under the wafer. Normally I get 7 day between changes .
That' opposite to how I thought a rwo-piece would be used. I thought the point was that the wafer stzyed on while you changed the bags more often, switching to a bigger bag easily for overnight if appropriate.

I guess I'm wrong

Nyx

You're not wrong....you can change to whatever kind of bag you want whenever you want with the 2 piece system. Some of us just ever use one kind though. Personally, I have some big ones, and some small ones...only because I ordered the wrong ones once...lol But, they both work. I think the 2 piece system gives you more freedom to try different things out.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I use a two piece Hollister, mainly because that's what was ordered by the at home nursing care post surgery. It took awhile but I now get 7 days wear on the flange, I tend to not change the bag mid-week or reuse them. But on the occasions that I use a one piece I ca generally get a week.

I use one-piece bags and change every 3-4 days. If I go any longer, I have skin issues. I love the Velcro, but mine also don't stick properly after 3 days.

You're not wrong....you can change to whatever kind of bag you want whenever you want with the 2 piece system. Some of us just ever use one kind though. Personally, I have some big ones, and some small ones...only because I ordered the wrong ones once...lol But, they both work. I think the 2 piece system gives you more freedom to try different things out.
Yup, I can see that 2-piece gives you more flexibilty. Must admit, I have not experimented very much, once we got the Salts one-piece convex bag plus stomahesive to work, I have stuck with that. I do seem to be getting better at applying the paste, which is important.

I started by using a 2-piece Hollister as that was what they recommended when I left the hospital. Three months after my surgery, I switched to Coloplast 2-piece system. One of the reasons I didn't like Hollister was the size of the wafer, but I also didn't like their bags. The bags would start looking really ratty by Day 2 and I was changing out the bags by the second day.

My preference for Coloplast is that the wafer/flange works better for my body and their bags are far more durable then the Hollister ones. When I don't have any issues, the flange can last anywhere from 5-7 days and the bags still look fine on Day 5.

My preference for a 2-piece is that I like the flexibility of being able to change out by bag if it's necessary (like when I've come out of the shower and I'm either too lazy or too much in a hurry to dry my bag, so I dump the wet bag and snap on a new one!).

Kismet

DJW

Forum Monitor
I started by using a 2-piece Hollister as that was what they recommended when I left the hospital. Three months after my surgery, I switched to Coloplast 2-piece system. One of the reasons I didn't like Hollister was the size of the wafer, but I also didn't like their bags. The bags would start looking really ratty by Day 2 and I was changing out the bags by the second day.

My preference for Coloplast is that the wafer/flange works better for my body and their bags are far more durable then the Hollister ones. When I don't have any issues, the flange can last anywhere from 5-7 days and the bags still look fine on Day 5.

My preference for a 2-piece is that I like the flexibility of being able to change out by bag if it's necessary (like when I've come out of the shower and I'm either too lazy or too much in a hurry to dry my bag, so I dump the wet bag and snap on a new one!).

Kismet
I had the same issue with Hollister pouches.

I get about 7 days out of a bag and wafer. I use a two piece system because I need to have a belt hold the apparatus in place because I am allergic to the tape on pretty much all wafers.

I'm really wasteful with my bags (I get them for free on the NHS) - I hate it when the skin is messy, so I usually change every day, so that I can clean everything. My skin was until recently in very good condition, so I think it helps. My skin got bad recently because I had an NG tube (I'm in hospital right now, and have been for ages - I posted about it on the Your Story forum), and the NG feed upset my stomach majorly; I had watery output pouring out of the stoma and the bags were always leaking and my skin went really red and sore and was bleeding. I got off the NG tube after a couple of days because my digestive system just couldn't take it. My stoma nurses gave me some products to help heal the skin, so I have to change twice daily at the moment to care for the skin.

I'm really wasteful with my bags (I get them for free on the NHS) - I hate it when the skin is messy, so I usually change every day, so that I can clean everything. My skin was until recently in very good condition, so I think it helps. My skin got bad recently because I had an NG tube (I'm in hospital right now, and have been for ages - I posted about it on the Your Story forum), and the NG feed upset my stomach majorly; I had watery output pouring out of the stoma and the bags were always leaking and my skin went really red and sore and was bleeding. I got off the NG tube after a couple of days because my digestive system just couldn't take it. My stoma nurses gave me some products to help heal the skin, so I have to change twice daily at the moment to care for the skin.
Yup watery output certainly makes leaks more likely.

One thing, I was hospitalised last week with dehydration. This was due to lots of watery output pouring out of my stoma, so thst is something to watch out for. In my case I went to a dialysis session as normal and they couldn't dialyse me because I was so dry, "crispy" my surgeon called me.

Not sure I would want to be changing bags every day, I aim for every two days and shower at the same time. I'm used to showering every day, but with the stoma every two says is a reasonable compromise.

Yep. I shower multiple times a day sometimes, usually with the bag on, occasionally with the bag off. It's never been a problem.
I probably could, I have done once, bag on, and no problem. Unfortunately
i now use stomahesive paste which is water soluable, so I suspect, unless I can protect it somehow, that the wafer may start to unpeel.

It's not currently a problem only showering when I bag-change, plus I can't afford to have problems with it mon/wed/fri as I go off to dialysis early in transport provided to me, so can't be faffing about with bags.

Do you use the paste on the sticky part of the flange or just around where the bag meets the stoma? If you use it around the stoma itself, water from the shower won't affect the paste there.

PsychoJane

I also keep my flange and bag (2 piece system) for seven days. Make that a +/- 1 day estimate from week to week.

I see hollister did not improve their products from the comments above... They gave me that at the hospital when I got my first surgery and I remember they would get worn out quickly.

Does anyone else feel the need to change the whole bag whenever they empty because the opening of the bag is no longer clean? If my output is quite liquid, it's very easy to wipe it clean with wet wipes and then dry it with a dry wipe or piece of toilet paper. But when it's quite thick (the way it's supposed to be), it's harder to clean properly, and I end up feeling yucky and changing it for a fresh one. I just like my bag and skin clean as much of the time as possible, but I think I may be becoming a bit neurotic about it. When I first had my ileostomy, I left the bags on for three days, because that was the time frame the stoma nurse recommended, and I was so ill for weeks after the surgery that I honestly found it so difficult to change the bag as I was just desperate to lie down as soon as possible. As soon as I began feeling better, I began changing the bag more often.

I rinse mine out with a water bottle every time I empty, especially on the rare occasions when the output is somewhat thick.

I rinse mine out with a water bottle every time I empty, especially on the rare occasions when the output is somewhat thick.
TBH it's never occurred to me to clean the bag when emptying, probably because my stoma nurses didn't suggest it when they were teaching me. I'm going to think about that now. As I'm trying, at times, to empty as little as possible, cleaning it with water may make it possible to get more out - especially if output is quite thick.

Does anyone else feel the need to change the whole bag whenever they empty because the opening of the bag is no longer clean? If my output is quite liquid, it's very easy to wipe it clean with wet wipes and then dry it with a dry wipe or piece of toilet paper. But when it's quite thick (the way it's supposed to be), it's harder to clean properly, and I end up feeling yucky and changing it for a fresh one. I just like my bag and skin clean as much of the time as possible, but I think I may be becoming a bit neurotic about it. When I first had my ileostomy, I left the bags on for three days, because that was the time frame the stoma nurse recommended, and I was so ill for weeks after the surgery that I honestly found it so difficult to change the bag as I was just desperate to lie down as soon as possible. As soon as I began feeling better, I began changing the bag more often.
No, not at all. I clean my one-piece drainables with a couple of pieces of TP only. I never change my bag because I don't feel it's clean.

Nyx

That's why I use liners in my bag. My output is always thick and I never found that I felt really clean by just squirting water in my bag.

That's why I use liners in my bag. My output is always thick and I never found that I felt really clean by just squirting water in my bag.
I haven't heard of liners. Something else I'm going to ask my stoma nurses about!

PsychoJane

For all of you who tried the colo-majic, I have a question. I am wondering if you can see alteration of the bag during the time you wear it? I mean, they are 100% biodegradable (in theory) but I am assuming the bag is not dissolving with water otherwise it would not make much sense of using it right? Do you notice any change though? Are they starting to "melt" if I can put it that way so that if you had it on you for a day it would break?

I am extremely environmentally concious and this is part of why I limit my bags use as much as I can. From an environmental perspective I see these liners as an advantage for people that appreciate frequent changes as it seems like it reduce plastic waste from using an actual bag. I am just concerned about the fact they advise of not using it anywhere else than in municipal sewage and that any other system is not advisable (sceptic tanks or else). Would it be that they are strictly , mecanically removed during the wastewater treatment?

That being said, same ideas go for the dog plastic bags that could be a money saver. Be cautious of the usage you do with them as it can be rather harsh for the sewage system and your own plumbing. Keep in mind that these can lead to sanitary spills and be hazardous for the public health and environment.

Nyx

Mine have never started to deteriorate at all...even when I had pure liquid output once. The bags are exactly like the bags you'd use in your green bin for recycling. They're very sturdy and so much easier for clean up!

For all of you who tried the colo-majic, I have a question. I am wondering if you can see alteration of the bag during the time you wear it? I mean, they are 100% biodegradable (in theory) but I am assuming the bag is not dissolving with water otherwise it would not make much sense of using it right? Do you notice any change though? Are they starting to "melt" if I can put it that way so that if you had it on you for a day it would break?

I am extremely environmentally concious and this is part of why I limit my bags use as much as I can. From an environmental perspective I see these liners as an advantage for people that appreciate frequent changes as it seems like it reduce plastic waste from using an actual bag. I am just concerned about the fact they advise of not using it anywhere else than in municipal sewage and that any other system is not advisable (sceptic tanks or else). Would it be that they are strictly , mecanically removed during the wastewater treatment?
This is one reason why I don't use liners at the moment. From what I understand through doing a bit of research (and I'm going off the top of my head because I'm not at my computer), those liners will biodegrade under specific conditions, but it doesn't happen fast (weeks) and I don't know if you'd consider the conditions in a municipal sewage "ideal" for this type of product.

Even flushable baby wipes have been a disaster and I belive Vancouver, BC actually bans their use because of the problems it's caused their water treatment plants.

I'd love to see more environmentally friendly options when it comes to our supplies too.

Nyx

If you're really concerned about the liners, you can always just throw them in the trash rather than flush them. I do that when we camp.