• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Elevated liver enzymes

nogutsnoglory

I have periodic elevated liver enzymes and doctors haven't attributed it to anything. Is it possible that its just all the medication being dispensed of in the liver? I'm concerned since I'm now starting a new med which apparently is heavily metabolized in the liver.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Do you take a lot of Tylenol by chance? That's the one non-NSAID OTC pain med that's okay for us to take, but it's metabolized in the liver and too much of it can cause liver issues. As I'm sure you know, alcohol is bad for the liver too. Offhand I don't know much else about meds that are metabolized in the liver, sorry I can't be of more help.

Is the doctor prescribing the medicine aware of the elevated enzymes? I am sure he would be at least a little concerned if the numbers were so high as to be dangerous. He also wouldn't prescribe a medicine that would make a life threating situation worse unless he thought it was absolutely necessary.

There are some herbs and supplements that claim to be liver detoxer's, I have never researched it much. May be worth looking into and even asking the doctor about at your next visit. Milk thisle and Rosemary for example.

nogutsnoglory

I don't take Tylenol often and don't drink alcohol. I think it must be the cocktail of meds. They go up and down, sometimes pretty high.

I don't see much talk about the correlation with the liver and Crohn's disease. I would think it plays a major part role with the meds and symptoms? This makes a good discussion.

I think doctors should be more in trying to get to the root of what is causing the inflammation to stop it instead of throwing water on it or removing it. Just saying.

My liver enzymes are high now, and in the past they've been very high. At all times when they were high, I was taking 6MP or Imuran. Are you taking either? Unfortunately, those drugs work the best to control my Crohn's, but at a cost- my liver. I rarely drink anymore because I want to save my liver, and I get blood tests every month to make sure nothing is too high.

I also stopped taking Tylenol because of the liver effects.

Ive researched this myself just a bit on the corelation of high liver enzymes, high pancreatic enzymes, and Crohns. They only list 3 main causes that are associated with Crohns, but I'm a bit skeptical. I've had all 3 with no meds 2 out of the 3 times, so it wasn't the meds. Asked my Doc and he said it is very rare to have Crohns causing these two things. Again, I'm skeptical. Had the highest enzymes though with a bowel obstruction, so think I will do more research regarding obstructive processes in the bowel related to elevated enzumes. Now THAT may be the key. Maybe having a narrowing, slowing of the bowel, not quite obstruction can cause it. Also, there was another thread on here about how many Crohns patients have their gall bladders out. Related, or have they all been looking for a diagnosis?

I'm getting way out there, sorry. I guess I just like to boil things down to the mechanical reasons. Ever noticed that sitting certain way causes pain in the gut? Just some thoughts.

nogutsnoglory- it could absolutely be caused by medications you are taking. Medications and or diet can give you fatty liver as well, which isn't anything too serious. They just suggest a low fat diet and exercise for the fatty liver. Has your doctor said anything concerning your elevated enzymes, or have you had an MRCP of the liver to make sure everything is okay?

Just speculation but maybe the liver and gallbladder is spitting out bad chemical mix instead of a normal bile that get stopped by the illeocical valve that cause irritation, damage, and malfunctioning of the intestines, valves, immune system, and nerves? I also wonder what the statistic of Crohn's patients that also have fatty liver disease? Could a liver and gallbladder cleanse of some special way help or is this a helpless idea? Maybe there could be a scientific way of cleaning them out other than just old herb tales?

When our world truly cares for us minus the greed and we care for the others in our lives minus the greed that is heavenly living! One of god's children

There is still a lot of discussion on the root cause of Crohns. Wikipedia just changed their definition. No longer called autoimmune, but instead immunodeficiency. There's the GMO theory, the microbial theory, and primary immune causes. And why does it run in families if there are environmental causes when family members don't live by each other that have it? They say it's not perfectly genetic, but if a family member has it, you are more likely.

So tieing the liver to the disease may not be so far fetched.

I am certainly no expert at all. I've seen lots of posts on here that are scientifially awesome. Again, just wondering with common sense.

nogutsnoglory

nogutsnoglory- it could absolutely be caused by medications you are taking. Medications and or diet can give you fatty liver as well, which isn't anything too serious. They just suggest a low fat diet and exercise for the fatty liver. Has your doctor said anything concerning your elevated enzymes, or have you had an MRCP of the liver to make sure everything is okay?
I think it's just all the meds and maybe from time to time the liver has trouble metabolizing them all in addition to flushing out foods in my diet. What is an MRCP?

And MRCP is just an MRI over the liver and pancreas :)

I would suggest though that if they continue beig elevated for a while you may want to request further testing into this.

My liver enzymes have been high for at least 3-4 years and my old GI kept saying it was fatty liver and not investigating at all. My new GI thought something else was going on and I have primary sclerosing cholangitis. But it is rare, so I'm sure that is not what's goin on, just make sure they investigate more especially if you start having pain in that area or incessant itching.

Leaky gut syndrome could cause liver issues. My hemotologist seems very concerned about leaky gut for some reason in people with crohns. GI never mentioned it though so I don't know how common it is.

Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis is one of the complications with Crohn's. Or related. Don't remember exactly but I read it.

nogutsnoglory

I want to start reducing my meds as much as possible. I think there is just too much chance for interaction, side effects and liver toxicity.

PSC isn't a complication of crohns. It is associated mainly with people who have ulcerative colitis, but it is a separate disease.

Nogutsnoglory- I totally agree with you in wanting to limit the amounts of meds. I swear one day I am going to start glowing in the dark.

PsychoJane

It's always uncomfortable to be in our shoes when it comes to medication. Most of any chemical compounds you require your body to process are likely affect the liver activity. Our Body always wants to detoxify no wonder why we have elevated liver enzymes from a lot of our treatment. Now, determining the line where we find it too "taxing" to be taken is hard. Same reason why I don't just go and stand in the sun knowing that it puts a risk for my skin, when does it become too much for one to take medication with the visible effect it puts on our body...

This will never be simple... benefits outweight risks but it's always hard keeping that in mind knowing that your body is telling you it does not quite like what is being ingested.

What is the new medication you are supposed to introduce?

I defiantly think cocktail of meds is extremely taxing on all of our organs. Just my not educated, yet I've experienced it opinion.