• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Propofol

propofol

Alright... last time I had my colonoscopy I was put slightly under with I beleive it was a mix of Demerol and Versed, I told the new gastro who will do my colonoscopy this time, that at one point it hurt and I felt it and I dont want to feel it this time. He said he would give me propofol, Ive done research and it scares me, especially after hearing stories that Michael Jackson may have dies from this drug :lol: What I want to know is have you been given propofol and were you aware of anything, did you feel any pain during the colono, were you completely out with that stuff and if youve had both propofol and versed + demerol. Which did you prefer and why?

I was put out with Fentanyl and Versed... worked like a charm. I also asked for Phenergan to help my severe nausea from anesthetics.

Had no problems but was out of it for most of the day (had it at 10 am, felt weirdo till about 6 pm)

katiesue1506 said:
I was put out with Fentanyl and Versed... worked like a charm. I also asked for Phenergan to help my severe nausea from anesthetics.

Had no problems but was out of it for most of the day (had it at 10 am, felt weirdo till about 6 pm)
yeah thats what i had last time... now they are giving me Propofol (has anyone had it)?

i know your worried after the jacko thing but they wouldn't give it to you unless they they know its safe,keep your chin up:smile:

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hey Natgl,

Just thought I would stick my thoughts down on this one to see if I can help any..

Many here know I am an ITU nurse so as you can imagine Propofol is a drug that is used alot where I work.

It is also used in other settings for short term sedation.

The main reasons are: it is short acting, provides enough sedation to enable you to completely relax and also helps to open up your airways to ensure good oxygenation etc.

I have had it for abcess drainage in the A&E environment myself and for major facial surgery years ago with no adverse effects. So as you can see it can be used for either a few minutes or several hours. Other drugs that are usually used during colonoscopy can only be used in small doses and not continuously, hence you can wake up and be in pain. With propofol there is the choice depending on the procedure. Also propofol tends to induce more of a sleepy effect rather than a semi awake dream like state. Does that make sense? So overall you are less likely to wake up in pain and/or remember the colonoscopy with propofol and it sounds like that is why your doctor is thinking of using it for you.

You will be well monitored in the endoscopy suite if they give it to you and are liable to have an anaestethist or one of their team there to take care of you.

From my perspective I feel that there will be many rumours about Michael Jackson and only those present on that day will ever honestly know the truth. So whether it is true or not it is not something that should impact on your having this drug.

As I said you will be closely monitored throughout your procedure and afterwards and may actually find you prefer this method as opposed to your previous experiences.

Hope what I have said helps in your decision making honey. Let us know how you get on. ((hugs))

Last edited:
soupdragon69 said:
Hey Natgl,

Just thought I would stick my thoughts down on this one to see if I can help any..

Many here know I am an ITU nurse so as you can imagine Propofol is a drug that is used alot where I work.

It is also used in other settings for short term sedation.

The main reasons are: it is short acting, provides enough sedation to enable you to completely relax and also helps to open up your airways to ensure good oxygenation etc.

I have had it for abcess drainage in the A&E environment myself and for major facial surgery years ago with no adverse effects. So as you can see it can be used for either a few minutes or several hours. Other drugs that are usually used during colonoscopy can only be used in small doses and not continuously, hence you can wake up and be in pain. With propofol there is the choice depending on the procedure. Also propofol tends to induce more of a sleepy effect rather than a semi awake dream like state. Does that make sense? So overall you are less likely to wake up in pain and/or remember the colonoscopy with propofol and it sounds like that is why your doctor is thinking of using it for you.

You will be well monitored in the endoscopy suite if they give it to you and are liable to have an anaestethist or one of their team there to take care of you.

From my perspective I feel that there will be many rumours about Michael Jackson and only those present on that day will ever honestly know the truth. So whether it is true or not it is not something that should impact on your having this drug.

As I said you will be closely monitored throughout your procedure and afterwards and may actually find you prefer this method as opposed to your previous experiences.

Hope what I have said helps in your decision making honey. Let us know how you get on. ((hugs))
hey thanks for answering my concerns. So basically if I get this right when I was once given for my first clonoscopy flentynyl and versed. I was in a semi awake state but they didnt give me enough versed (I hate that stuff and read really bad stuff on that), they gave me that in the hopes Id forget the pain, the procedure when I woke up but I remember moaning of pain at one point. Now is propofol like this? Will I be screaming in pain, ppl out the hallway will hear me but I wont be conscious of it (like versed)? or I most likely will be asleep? What I was told is I may not get propofol because their is no guaranty the anesthesiologist will be there that day.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Propofol is not like your previous experiences at all.

It will knock you out to the extent you totally sleep through the experience.

There has to be an anaesthetist present to ensure your airway is safe i.e you are able to continue breathing for yourself.

As I said before propofol is used for major surgery so it is an anaesthetic drug. This means in heavier doses it can stop you breathing and you need to then be on a ventilator or breathing machine This is what happens during major surgery.

During a colonoscopy you will only be given a tiny amount of propofol. Enough to make you sleep completely but no more than that.

Because it is an anaesthetic drug it must be handled by someone qualified to do so like an anaethestist. I use it under strict guidelines within the environment I work in and it is prescribed specifically according to each patients needs.

If there were any problems it is always possible to reverse it using another drug.

Mike is spot on with his own comments too. As he rightly says make sure you have the support there from the right folk.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind that all drugs have side effects, dangers and helpful aspects. Its about using them correctly at all times and within the boundaries they are meant for.

I am off into hospital early monday morning as a patient so if you have other questions and I dont answer you dont think I am ignoring you ok? ;-)

Thinking of you..

Euhhh what I thought... :ymad: received a call this morning and the anesthesist wont be there on Tuesday (day of my colono) and said if I really wanted one they will have to push my appointment back to end of August. :eek: So im still going Tuesday with the famous way (Demerol + Versed) - damn got to love that stuff :ymad: