• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone else get super tired after eating?

I have been diagnosed with Crohns for 5 years, but over the last couple of weeks I get soooo tired after I eat. To the point I can barely keep my eyes open. Does anyone else get this tired? :yfaint:

Anytime I have time to think about it, I feel this way. I could sleep all the time. I hate crohns. But fortunately, I don't have time for that negativity and idleness. I do feel tired A LOT, though. I hope you feel more energy soon. I know ithers may ask- have you had B12 checked? Could be a part of the problem. Ask David!

-Best of luck to you.

Anytime I have time to think about it, I feel this way. I could sleep all the time. I hate crohns. But fortunately, I don't have time for that negativity and idleness. I do feel tired A LOT, though. I hope you feel more energy soon. I know ithers may ask- have you had B12 checked? Could be a part of the problem. Ask David!

-Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have times of being tired and wishing I could stay in bed, but lately it is EXTREME after I eat. I just wondered if anyone else experienced this. I take a vitamin B supplement along with others.

David

Co-Founder
Is it ALWAYS after you eat or more after you eat specific foods? After every meal or after specific meals? Are you taking medications or supplements anywhere near when you eat these meals?

I have been eating different meals lately. Yesterday I had part of a french dip sandwich around 2:00 P.M. And became super tired. Tonight I ate breaded shrimp later in the evening and felt the same way. I had a yogurt earlier and didn't feel tired after that. I only take my supplements in the mornings.

I get that too. I try to eat smaller amounts more often - doesn't have that effect if I eat a little bit at a time, but if it's really good, sometimes I just plan on taking a nap.

i get that - its kind of like the feeling you get after a major meal (think christmas or an all you can eat buffet) but you have only eaten a standard meal?

My dietician says it could be that as my bowels work so hard all energy goes to them after i eat if that makes sense ?

I find small meals spread through the day helps - and easily digested food.

I was referred to an Endocrinologist for the same problem. After both a Glucose Tolerance Test and an Insulin Tolerance Test, I was found to be Insulin Resistant. Perhaps it would be worth exploring with your physician? I cannot take the normal medication that is the first line of defense (Metformin), but I eat low carb/low glycemic index and it helps a lot.

I have experienced this. Last year before I had a resection I was often struggling to stay awake at work after lunch. One thing I found helped was to avoid eating lots of carbs.

PsychoJane

I get that quite often and it is worst with larger meal than it is with frequent snack. It is also way worst when my disease is active to the point I could hardly have a lunch and go to my classes cause I was doomed to sleep all of them.

Also, food "allergy" or intolerance should often be blamed when it comes to feeling tired after eating. Are you gluten/dairy intolerant maybe? I think I would give a try to avoid gluten for a few days and see if it is any better. I know that my energy levels are way better since I reduced them considerably. Nothing worst than a delicious italian spaghetti with some bread on the side.

I've found that to be true for me sometimes, having a hard time staying awake after eating, with different foods being triggers. Some supplements can make me tired also. Yesterday morning I ran into that problem barely being able to keep my eyes open after taking some niacin.

Item's I've noticed that can effect my energy levels are:

Dairy items, cheese in particular can make me feel worn down.

Fruits and vegetables high in fiber can tire me out.

The supplement niacin, often used for controlling cholesterol, will make me feel tired also. And overall, all to often it seems synthetic multi-vitamins make me lethargic.

Eating to much sugar/grains/wheat. If I eat to many carbs that tends to tire me out the most. I've read that is a common complaint for many.

"Wheat-free"

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/2007/01/wheat-free-2007.html

snippet from Dr. Davis's article:

...What can you expect if you sharply reduce or eliminate wheat? The majority of people:

–Feel like a cloud has been lifted from their thinking.
–Don’t experience the afternoon blah or tired feeling after lunch.
–Lose weight, sometimes substantial quantities.
–Raise HDL.
–Reduce small LDL.
–Reduce triglycerides, particularly if they start >100 mg/dl.
–Reduce blood sugar.

The reduction in small LDL can be especially impressive.

For most people, reducing or eliminating wheat is a sacrifice, a major change in food choices and even a loss of convenience. But the health benefits for most people can be dramatic.

Thank you all for the responses. I feel better knowing others experience the same. I think I will talk to my Dr. And check on the insulin. I also think it could be when I eat a lot of carbs at one time.

I have been diagnosed with Crohns for 5 years, but over the last couple of weeks I get soooo tired after I eat. To the point I can barely keep my eyes open. Does anyone else get this tired? :yfaint:
This happens to me almost every afternoon after I eat my lunch, I'm fine after breakfast when eating on an empty stomach but after I eat my lunch , particularly if it's a large meal I have no choice but to go to bed for an hour or so for a nap. I don't know what really causes it or hot to stop it but the fatigue that hits me is ridiculous.

I used to get like that if I ate starch (when I could still eat it). Think bread, pasta, rice, potato, cereal or the like. If I had any of that, I would be literally falling asleep standing or sitting up within the hour. Then, in a few hours I'd be ravenously hungry again and many times I would get a very intense headache. It never happened with anything else I ate including sugary foods. Obviously even then my body didn't handle it right and it sent my blood sugar into the floor. The only thing that ever counteracted that for me was eating protein. It seemed to balance it out.

Personally, based on what you said you ate, it's either carbs in general or starchy carbs that is sending your blood sugar up then way down.

This happens to me ALL of the time too, but it's usually a package deal with indigestion, acid reflux, heartburn, the chills/hot flashes, etc.

I like to describe it as a delirious smack-your-face-on-your-keyboard-at-work-tired, also known as coffee time, lol.

I find that it happens after breakfast and lunch. Then it kills my appetite for the rest of the day... My diet is flawless too... I'm vegan and do not consume anything with wheat. It's a mystery...

On that note, I do find that digestive enzymes really help!

Good Luck :)

I don't have other symptoms with it, just so tired! Tonight I tried to be a bit more mindful of what I ate and it wasn't quite as bad. I go in later this month to the doc, so I will mention it to him.

I've only just registered, so I'm coming to this thread rather late, but you can add me to the list too!

I eat low-carb Palaeo, with plenty of coconut oil and, it doesn't matter if I eat 4 mini-meals a day, or 1 or 2 larger ones, I'm GUARANTEED to zonk out after. I've had my iron, vitamin D, B12 and T4 levels tested and they're all fine.

I'd like to point out to Vicki the vegan that her diet is as far from "flawless" as it's possible to be. In fact, other than fruitarianism, it's the unhealthiest way of eating one can possibly follow. It's as unhealthy as eating nothing but Twinkies and doughnuts all day!

Why...? It's simple - humans are omnivores and, as such, we can only assimilate certain nutrients - iron, and vitamins A and B12 - from animal products, our digestive systems simply don't contain the right enzymes to sufficiently break down plant material for its nutrition to be of any use to us. Anyone who's been vegan for more than 3 years is GUARANTEED to be anaemic so, Vicki, unless you're taking high-dose iron tablets (which, as a CD sufferer, isn't advisable as they're extremely constipating) then there's the reason for your exhaustion. So, as I see it, you've 2 options: - ask your doctor to script you iron - and risk constipation - or start being sensible and eating like we humans were made to eat - green plants, some fruits, and lots and lots of animal products - get a great big slab of grass-fed cow inside you, you'll feel better for it! Us Crohnies have a hard enough time obtaining the nutrition we need - why make it even harder on your body by adhering to such a nutrient-deficient diet...?! The optimum diet for a human is one comprised of around 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs - a vegan diet is virtually all carbs (and - before anyone says anything - legumes are NOT an adequate protein source; they are - just like grains (and I suggest people quit eating ALL grains, not just wheat; they are chock-full of antinutrients (an antinutrient is a substance which prevents the body from assimilating nutrients) and lectins (lectins are mildly toxic substances plants produce to prevent themselves being consumed - and grains and legumes contain more than any other type of plant. Lectins in grains and legumes do great damage to the intestinal lining, in the same way that the tad in cigarettes damages the lining of the lungs, so quitting grains and legumes is as essential to optimum health as quitting smoking. That aside, we only began cultivating them 10,000 years ago and that's FAR too short a time span for our bodies to adapt.

A vegan diet is also guaranteed to be low in both saturated fat and cholesterol, meaning the liver has to work overtime to produce enough of the latter, eventually leading to liver failure.

Every cell in the body requires cholesterol; it's used in the production of haemoglobin and is essential for good reproductive health.

Saturated fat is essential for many processes, but particularly healthy brain function. So follow a vegan diet long-term and you'll end up with dementia as braincell require saturated fat to survive; unlike many cells in the body, you only get a finite number of braincells so, by not eating animal products (for whatever silly 'ethical' reason(s)) you're making yourself stupid. If you turn vegan at 15, you'll show signs of dementia at 40.

Being vegan under normal circumstances is ill-advised, to say the least - but to eat such a restrictive, nutrient-poor diet when one has a disease which means nutrient absorption is severely compromised, well that goes far beyond any fathomable level of stupidity!

In short, Vicki, you're making yourself about 100 times sicker than you would be if you were eating healthily (that is high-fat/low(ish) carb).

You've a stark choice to make here. Which matters more to you : - your principles - or your health...? Only you can decide that. If you - or anyone else - wants any more help, there are plenty of Palaeo blogs I can link to.

I apologise if the tone of this is harsh, but your post astounded me. The simple truth is that you have no energy BECAUSE you're vegan - it has nothing to do with the Crohn's (though, obviously, that doesn't help). Most vegans lack energy because they're eating such a nutritionally-poor diet.

Sarah
(grain-free 10 years/low-carb Palaeo 8 years).

Every day I eat lunch from 11:30 - 12:30 and around 2 pm my brain turns off, I can not keep my eyes open and all I can think about is finding anywhere to close my eyes for even 1 minute. This is beyond being just sleepy, I almost feel like I'm going to pass out and it lasts for about 3 hours. I fight this fatigue all day, but start to wake up around 5-6 pm and I'm wide awake at midnight unable to sleep well during the night. I don't know what's wrong with me and I get in trouble at work for falling asleep in the middle of a meeting.

Yes absolutely.

I ALWAYS get tired after eating. Now the degree to which I feel tired is what varies. As others have said, carbs and starches and obviously sugars are gonna make us feel crappy.

I've actually changed my diet to prevent this feeling mostly but it's still there just not as noticeable. Also, whenever I decide to "cheat" and have some pizza or something, suddenly I feel exhausted and crappy. Screw the doctors that say diet has no effect on the disease! Don't listen to them, listen to those that actually live with the disease.

Is recommend everything that's been said on this thread.

Omit breads and sweets and carbs (the only carb I eat is white rice and that's really just to bike up my "movements" if you will.

Also, take a multivitamin even if your results are coming back normal. Also Calcium and Vitamin D is super important!

And the one least under our control is likely the most influential- stress levels. That'll make the perfect diet worthless.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd share anyway since I just so happened to be googling more about your exact question!

I was diagnosed when I was 17 with Crohn's disease, am now 44, and unable to work a full day anymore due to it, I have also noticed recently getttin so tired after I ate that all I want to do is sleep, even if I just woke up.

Damn crohns

Hi there I was diagnosed with crohns in 2003 when they found a huge 9 cm mass on my appendix and I lost half my large bowel over it. Now ever since I have been on 20 gastro stop(immodium) a day. Every crohns medication known to man has not worked on me and the only one I would not try was Humira as a women is suing them for going blind from it. So After about 8 years my tiredness grew to the point where I just couldn't even go a day without an afternoon sleep it was then I found out I was extremely low on B12 and vitamin D. After having my first shot I felt wonderful and even lost weight but now the B12 shot doesn't seem to last as long and even though I'm still having shots every 2 months I'm going back to feeling tired again weeks short of my next shot.

Last edited:
I realise this is an old thread that's been bumped, but I definitely get tired after eating! For a while now I've had a pattern where I need a nap after lunch, I feel terrible before it, and so much better afterwards, and I also always eat right before going to bed, and it sends me off to sleep.

Found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postprandial_somnolence

and this:
Turkey meat and drowsiness
See also: Postprandial somnolence § Turkey and tryptophan

A common assertion in the US is that heavy consumption of turkey meat results in drowsiness, due to high levels of tryptophan contained in turkey.[23][25] However, the amount of tryptophan in turkey is comparable to that contained in other meats.[24][26] Drowsiness after eating may be caused by other foods eaten with the turkey, particularly carbohydrates.[28] Ingestion of a meal rich in carbohydrates triggers the release of insulin.[29][30][31] Insulin in turn stimulates the uptake of large neutral branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), but not tryptophan, into muscle, increasing the ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood stream. The resulting increased tryptophan ratio reduces competition at the large neutral amino acid transporter (which transports both BCAA and aromatic amino acids), resulting in more uptake of tryptophan across the blood–brain barrier into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).[32][33] Once in the CSF, tryptophan is converted into serotonin in the raphe nuclei by the normal enzymatic pathway.[34][30] The resultant serotonin is further metabolised into melatonin by the pineal gland.[12] Hence, this data suggests that "feast-induced drowsiness"—or postprandial somnolence—may be the result of a heavy meal rich in carbohydrates, which indirectly increases the production of melatonin in the brain, and thereby promotes sleep.[34][29][30][31]

From:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan#Turkey_meat_and_drowsiness