• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

One year into remicade.

It has been a year since my daughter started remicade. We decided to do remicade due to fissure, she was on asacol before remicade and did not have any tummy issues but her disease was silently progressing into perianal disease. I am grateful for this treatment, it scares me but for now is giving my daughter a "normal" life. She is on her final year of high school and will be graduating with honors. Thanks to all of you who made my life easier with your support, advice, hugs etc.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
That's awesome araceli! :D I'm glad that your daughter is doing so well and I hope her remission lasts for a long time (hopefully forever). :)

I'm glad to hear that the Remicade is working for your daughter. What an awesome accomplishment as well in academics! May she continue with great success with both Remicade and her academic endeavors!

That's awesome araceli! :D I'm glad that your daughter is doing so well and I hope her remission lasts for a long time (hopefully forever). :)
Hey Jennifer... quick question.

I see you take something for PVC's and tachycardia. Is that anything to do with the Crohn's? I ask because I frequently have had palpitations, flutters, etc. I ate what I can only imagine was msg in Thai food the other night and went into atrial fibrillation. I've had heart tests, halter monitoring, they can never find anything, they always say anxiety, so I dunno. Just wondering if there is any relation?

Thanks in advance,

Christina

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ckoenig, Crohn's itself isn't the direct cause, Crohn's can cause other problems which can then lead to heart palpitations.

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause an increase in heart palpitations like magnesium, folate, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, iron, vit C and even having too much vit D can cause palpitations (yet many people with Crohn's are deficient in vit D). Anemia can cause heart palpitations as well. Have some blood work done to see if you're low in anything and if you are then you can begin supplementing to see if that helps.

Stress is definitely related to an increase in palpitations. That and drinking alcohol, smoking (both alcohol and smoking are stimulants which means caffeine and certain medications can also be a possible cause) and lack of exercise have caused an increase in palpitations for me. So I've cut out what I can and have tried to increase the amount of exercise I do.

Lack of sleep is also a major one that increases palpitations yet I'm having a hard time with this one (and anxiety so they're likely related). Even viral infections can increase palpitations which many medications can cause us to be susceptible to.

Ckoenig, Crohn's itself isn't the direct cause, Crohn's can cause other problems which can then lead to heart palpitations.

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause an increase in heart palpitations like magnesium, folate, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, iron, vit C and even having too much vit D can cause palpitations (yet many people with Crohn's are deficient in vit D). Anemia can cause heart palpitations as well. Have some blood work done to see if you're low in anything and if you are then you can begin supplementing to see if that helps.

Stress is definitely related to an increase in palpitations. That and drinking alcohol, smoking (both alcohol and smoking are stimulants which means caffeine and certain medications can also be a possible cause) and lack of exercise have caused an increase in palpitations for me. So I've cut out what I can and have tried to increase the amount of exercise I do.

Lack of sleep is also a major one that increases palpitations yet I'm having a hard time with this one (and anxiety so they're likely related). Even viral infections can increase palpitations which many medications can cause us to be susceptible to.

I've had more bloodwork for everything under the sun than you can possibly imagine, oh wait you probably can imagine. My magnesium levels are surprisingly good considering. My b-12 was dangerously low before I was dx'd and I get monthy b-12 injections. my level is around 500 now, it was below 150 and I was having tons of palpitations, was anemic etc. It is much better now. I feel the heart palps I am having now are prob anxiety related. I am just very sensitive. I can have 1 glass of red wine and have my heart race all night. It is NUTS. I don't drink or smoke as a result, both of which I used to do. At one point I didn't even drink caffeine but now I have calmed down and can have one cup in the am.

Thanks for the info. :)