• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Efficacy of the Autoimmune Protocol Diet for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Lady Organic

Staff member
The diet:

The autoimmune protocol (AIP) diet is an extension of the Paleolithic diet10 and incorporates some of the dietary changes previously studied in IBD, including avoidance of gluten and refined sugar. The AIP diet focuses on an initial elimination phase of food groups including grains, legumes, nightshades, dairy, eggs, coffee, alcohol, nuts and seeds, refined/processed sugars, oils, and food additives.10,11 The rationale is to avoid foods, additives, or medications (e.g., nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) that can trigger intestinal inflammation, dysbiosis, and/or symptomatic food intolerance.10,12–14 It also emphasizes consumption and preparation of fresh, nutrient dense foods, bone broth, and fermented foods, while addressing factors that are known to associate with disability due to IBD, such as sleep and sleep hygiene, stress management, forming a support system, and physical activity.15
The AIP dietary intervention consisted of a 6-week elimination phase (staged elimination of grains, legumes, night- shades, dairy, eggs, coffee, alcohol, nuts and seeds, refined/ processed sugars, oils, and food additives) followed by a 5-week maintenance phase (during which no food group reintroduction was allowed), using the “SAD to AIP in 6” diet transition pro- gram.16

One question is which changes were actually necessary and effective?but either way, following the protocol didn't seem to make anything worse.
For instance , could you have obtained the same results with vitamin d repletion and avoidance of refined sugar alone? I'm a little upset they used bone broth, since it exposes us to more lead aka the toxic metal PB then we would otherwise want to be exposed to.

I do recall a study where they determined the removal of certain complex carb sources change the microbiome a bit and lead to less inflammation, I know that when I don't cook my beans well enough, they are maldigested and cause issues for me, but when cooked well they do no harm and wheat has no negative effect on me unless i eat it past 7pm, so the later in the day I eat complex carbs the less i digested them properly, and the amylase enzyme has been shown to follow a circadian rhythm I suspect that is one reason why.

Lady Organic

Staff member
bone broth chicken and beef apparently have both different anti-inflammatory propreties. Two IBD nutrionnists recommended them to me.
How come animal meat or broth have high amount of lead?
I would only eat organic also...

my little penguin

Staff member
The preparation and consumption of bone broth is being increasingly recommended to patients, for example as part of the gut and psychology syndrome (GAPS) diet for autism, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, dyslexia, dyspraxia, depression and schizophrenia, and as part of the paleolithic diet. However, bones are known to sequester the heavy metal lead, contamination with which is widespread throughout the modern environment. Such sequestered lead can then be mobilised from the bones. We therefore hypothesised that bone broth might carry a risk of being contaminated with lead. A small, blinded, controlled study of lead concentrations in three different types of organic chicken broth showed that such broths do indeed contain several times the lead concentration of the water with which the broth is made. In particular, broth made from skin and cartilage taken off the bone once the chicken had been cooked with the bones in situ, and chicken-bone broth, were both found to have markedly high lead concentrations, of 9.5 and 7.01 μg L(-1), respectively (compared with a control value for tap water treated in the same way of 0.89 μg L(-1)). In view of the dangers of lead consumption to the human body, we recommend that doctors and nutritionists take the risk of lead contamination into consideration when advising patients about bone broth diets
From
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23375414/

Lady Organic

Staff member
its unfortunate how difficult it has become to eat and drink safe nowadays. if its not lead, its mercury, antibiotics, arsenic, pesticides, etc. they seem to be present in every food groups...

One question is which changes were actually necessary and effective?but either way, following the protocol didn't seem to make anything worse.
That's the thing about elimination diets,
To be effective you have to remove everything that might be problematic and then reintroduce them one at a time.
Since different foods affect different people differently this means elimination diets are more effective that proscriptive “eat this, don't eat this” diets (if done properly, that is)....
But you are right, there is no way to know just what did what.

For instance , could you have obtained the same results with vitamin d repletion and avoidance of refined sugar alone?
“The goal of this study was to determine the efficacy of an autoimmune protocol diet in patients with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.”
They tested the AIP, not sugar or vit D

I'm a little upset they used bone broth, since it exposes us to more lead aka the toxic metal PB then we would otherwise want to be exposed to.
There has been one very badly done unreplicated study by people with an agenda (says other group with other agenda?).[1]
People are coming out of the woodwork making claims from both sides based on almost nothing.
Until I see another better study i'm taking the side that calls bullshit (with the full knowledge that I could be wrong).
Another study done to check found no lead so make up your own mind [2]

I do recall a study where they determined the removal of certain complex carb sources change the microbiome a bit and lead to less inflammation, I know that when I don't cook my beans well enough, they are maldigested and cause issues for me, but when cooked well they do no harm and wheat has no negative effect on me unless i eat it past 7pm, so the later in the day I eat complex carbs the less i digested them properly, and the amylase enzyme has been shown to follow a circadian rhythm I suspect that is one reason why.
I would be careful about distinguishing between carbohydrate malabsorbtion (FODMAPS) causing gas and bloating, and food toxins and malnutrition and sometimes antibiotics, which cause intestinal damage and infections, followed by autoimmunity.
One would be an immediate reaction and pretty easy to make connections, the other would be something bad happening weeks afterwards with nothing obvious to connect the two events

[1]“That study had some limitations, which the Weston A Price Foundation covered pretty well. Ignore the meandering quasi-conspiratorial tangents and focus on the relevant points.”
https://www.westonaprice.org/health...on-a-very-flawed-study-in-medical-hypotheses/
[2]seems to be a rehash of WAP post above but with lead test report results....
“To that end, we would like to announce the results of testing performed by The National Food Lab on bone broth from grass-fed beef and pastured chicken from California. These two broths were prepared in stainless steel soup pots by the Three Stone Hearth Co-op in San Francisco. As tested on February 14 at a minimum detection level of 10 parts per billion and on March 1, 2013 at a minimum detection level of 5 parts per billion, the results were as follows:
Grassfed beef broth. No lead detected
Pastured chicken broth: No lead detected
Reverse osmosis water: No lead detected

http://drkaayladaniel.com/boning-up-is-broth-contaminated-with-lead/

Last edited: