• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about Imuran and Mesalamine.

Hello everyone, I apologize in advance if my question has been already answered somewhere else, I am 29 years old with Crohn's I was diagnosed at 14 and between 2003 and 2014 was treated with Imuran and Mesalamine since then I have been on Remicade but want to stop it due to side effects. My question is would Imuran and Mesalamine work if I go back to them or my body would likely not respond to treatment and I would have to look into other meds? Hopefully, someone can answer me, Thanks.

Hi. I would not stop Remicade without first consulting wuth a doctor. Your condition may worsen. Tell him of your fears.

Thanks Ron I have talked to my doctor and have scheduled my last infusion already , and I know the risk of my condition getting worse I am just debating whether Imuran and Mesalamine would work again after being off of them for 4 years.

Thanks Ron I have talked to my doctor and have scheduled my last infusion already , and I know the risk of my condition getting worse I am just debating whether Imuran and Mesalamine would work again after being off of them for 4 years.
Best to you. Keep us appraised of how you are doing.

Yes they could work - you don't build up antibodies to them like you do with biologics so you can stop and start them. However, they may not work for you given that I'm assuming they failed for you before since you needed to start remicade?
Hey Eleanor, actually, they never failed but my doctors said that I have been on them for too long and there is a chance of cancer. I have actually been feeling worse on Remicade my immune system has literally crashed I have since had a relapse with coagulated blood then pneumonia and c difficile and now I have a severe skin infection that I treat with Clobetasol.

my little penguin

Staff member
The risk of cancer doesn’t go away if you restart them
That said most work again when restarted
Remicade will probably not work again if stopped imuran and 5-aza combo also suppress the immune system
Some get just as many infections
So please take care
For others
Restarted the meds just doesn’t work
It’s all very individual

Have you looked at methotrexate and 5–asa?
Ped GI tend to lean towards theses now vs imuran
Simply to lower the risk of lymphoma

Might be worth asking

Good luck

Hope you get better

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds currently takes mtx
It can cause mouth ulcers and flu like symptoms
But if you take folic acid that seems to help
He doesn’t tolerate injection form of mtx
Makes him have the flu for almost a week
Tabletshe is ok with
Other kids tablets make them sick and injections are ok

He takes 1 mgof folic acid twice a day including shot day

Hope that helps

my little penguin

Staff member
Mtx can be used as a monotherapy
We tried this for ds when he first failed 6-mp (it went to his liver )
For him every time we lowered pred he would get vasculitis
So after 12 weeks of mtx
He was switched to remicade

Once in humira
He added mtx for his arthritis

There are a lot of kids on the parents forum
More than a few are on mtx by itself