• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thinking of trying yoga

rygon

After hearing that so many people find yoga of benefit I would like to have a go. Unfortunately I havent got the time to go to any classes. Im pretty supple already due to kickboxing but would like to get more flexible.

Does anyone have any recommendations for DVDs (preferably not made by celebrities or anyone from big brother)

Cheers

I've only ever gone to classes (and practiced a bit at home) and I really recommend going to some classes. You need to be corrected regularly to get the most benefit and not damage yourself.

I tend to do 'power yoga' and Ashtanga which are a little bit more strength oriented which you might prefer being from a kickboxing background.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Rygon, if you have a Nintendo Wii, I'd recommend getting Wii Fit Plus as that has a lot of yoga poses. You can set up your own yoga routine on there, and your virtual trainer gives you feedback as to how you're doing, it monitors your weight, etc. And you do it on your own schedule and don't have to leave the house to do it. For awhile I was doing about 30 mins of yoga 3x per week on the Wii Fit Plus, until I had a big flare and then I got out of the habit. I've been meaning to start up again so thanks for the reminder! :)

Baron Baptiste has some good videos, available in all different levels from easy to difficult. His website looks interesting too. www.baronbaptiste.com
I have also used "Method" videos, mostly Pilates ones tho rather than yoga.

After hearing that so many people find yoga of benefit I would like to have a go. Unfortunately I havent got the time to go to any classes. Im pretty supple already due to kickboxing but would like to get more flexible.

Does anyone have any recommendations for DVDs (preferably not made by celebrities or anyone from big brother)

Cheers
yoga is good for your overall health , it would impact positively your mind , body and soul.

rygon

Rygon, if you have a Nintendo Wii, I'd recommend getting Wii Fit Plus as that has a lot of yoga poses. You can set up your own yoga routine on there, and your virtual trainer gives you feedback as to how you're doing, it monitors your weight, etc. And you do it on your own schedule and don't have to leave the house to do it. For awhile I was doing about 30 mins of yoga 3x per week on the Wii Fit Plus, until I had a big flare and then I got out of the habit. I've been meaning to start up again so thanks for the reminder! :)
I used to have a Wii until i let my parents use it as im not really a games person .. theyve now moved to aus and taken it with them :(

Thanks for all your replies as well, will have a look at your recommendations ta