• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Self help for low mood

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum could offer any advice on self-help or natural remedies for low mood/minor depression.

I've been struggling with minor depression for a while now, it was a niggling problem when I was living at home in 2011, then when I moved to London in 2012 I thought things would improve except my depression got worse and I was really, really unhappy. I moved back home thinking this would make me feel better and it has, but it's becoming clear to me now that my low mood isn't situational, and it might just be something that I'm going to struggle with unless I find practical ways of dealing with it.

I'm not at any risk to myself and I'm still able to go to work and live a normal life so I'm not considering medication.

My main problems are:

feeling down and hopeless
anxiety
low confidence and fear
low self-esteem
feeling disappointed with life

I'd love to be able to leap out of bed in the mornings, full of the joys of life, and one of my 2013 new years resolutions is to take practical steps to achieving good mental health and happiness.

All tips appreciated :)

Hannah

I know the feeling. I had a few very low years.

Have you tried incorporating some cardio exercise into your daily routine? I've noticed that I am much more optimistic when I've had a good sweating session.

SarahBear

Is counseling off the table? It sounds like that would be your best bet, especially considering the anxiety and confidence problems.

If you don't want to go that route, I'd try a journal. Really try to focus on the good things that happened, and the things you like about yourself. Writing it out might help reinforce those ideas.

Hi guys, sorry to hear you also had problems ctrl_z. Exercise is the one thing I know I should do but that I always manage to put off. I might try doing a long walk once a week and build up slowly to see if that helps, thank you for the advice.

Hi Sarah, I was also thinking about going to my GP about how I'm feeling. I've been twice before for depression and been referred to counselling but never taken it up. I think it might be time to get some help to see if I can beat it once and for all. I've started writing an online journal actually. What I'm going to try and do is focus on the positive stuff when I write it so I have something really positive to always refer back to, rather than dwelling on when I feel bad.

I was also working through MoodGYM https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome which is a free online CBT tool to help improve depression and anxiety. I'm hoping it's going to work but so far I haven't been able to put the advice into practice.

Hi Hannah,

I'd recommend you attack it from multiple angles:

1. Ask for a CBT referral from the GP
2. Some exercise - yoga is excellent because you can pick an impact level that suits - you can try a DVD first
3. Try something like mindfulness meditation, or the very secular MBSR stuff by Jon Kabat-Zinn (again a CD to use at home was what I did)

These things could improve life generally too - they have for me, in a major way!

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Hannah.

As others have said, exercise is a really important factor in tackling depression. I know that it is hard to get yourself motivated, but the effects will reward you.

I wouldn't start with a really long walk. I would start by putting aside a manageable amount of specific time every day. To start with that might mean something like 5 minutes at 8.30am - whatever (and whenever) you feel that you can achieve. The important thing is to do it. And the exercise should be something easily managed - skipping one day, stepups another, short burst running another or any thing that you can do without expensive equipment - and only for 5 minutes until you are doing it regularly and almost automatically. Then perhaps add two of them together to get 10 minutes. And get a set of relatively light weights - whatever you can manage with a bit of effort.

I am no expert on this, but had a husband who suffered badly from depresssion and we started a regime like this and it was very helpful. If you can find someone to do it with you to begin with, that would be even better. :hug:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I agree completely with what the others have said about exercise. I started working out lightly twice per week - my body responded positively so I started ramping up the frequency and intensity. I am hitting the gym 4 or 5 times per week nowadays and I always feel fabulous during and after exercise. Don't put it off - set aside some time, even if it's just a half hour a couple times a week, to work out. Depending on your specific issues/illness, you may have trouble with certain things (personally I cannot jog due to hip arthritis as it just hurts way too much and hurts for days afterwards, and I have really bad GERD so I can't do much abdominal exercises or I get really vurpy and nauseous, but I can lift weights and I can ride the bike and do yoga so I don't feel too limited). Try a few different types of exercise and see what works for you and what you enjoy. I always used to hate exercise, but now when I work out I feel like a normal healthy person and I just feel great, so I've come to crave exercise! No matter what kind of day I'm having, if I can hit the gym, I end up feeling better. It works for me like nothing else has. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and I would like to add, if you do start working out, do NOT get discouraged if you don't see results quickly! I seem to put on muscle very slowly, and I had lost a lot of muscle due to being ill & being on steroids before I started working out, so it took me a good 6 months at least before I started noticing any difference in how my body looked - I had to regain the lost muscle before I could actually add muscle. It's been over a year and a half now that I've been working out and I'm finally starting to look like someone who works out, ha ha. But I felt a difference inside right away and I've kept up with it regardless of what the exterior looks like.

sawdust

I'm not always good at it, but I try to really immerse myself in something with a good benefit, like making something for someone, giving back, or putting your efforts into something where you have a tangible asset in the end. Don't get me wrong, just deciding to do it and getting motivated is HARD. I usually try to do something new and sometimes it sticks and sometimes it falls flat.

I always start really not wanting to do it, and eventually start looking forward to it over time. It's how I found out that I like woodworking and canning. And that there isn't enough wood in the world to cut, split, and stack to make me happy. And then, it feels so good to give someone something you made, stand back from a cupboard full of the fruits of your own labor, or reach that grand goal, whatever it was. :hug:

Hi Hanna

was just reading your post and was like "THATS ME". Im feeling the exact same at the moment. I used to always be the joker of the pack and the happy one etc. But now i feel like im the negative moaning one. Only recently ive started getting really anxious, so much so i felt like i was taking panic attacks when i was out my comfort zone. and thats just not me atall. My doctor has given me beta blockers for the anxiety and offered me behavioural therapy but can take months for me to get an appointment.

Ive never really been depressed before so i dont really know what it feels like but ive started to feel really down and fed up and feel like im hiding away more than i should. maybe i am depressed, and if i am i think talking to someone would really help. ive always been one of those people who just gets on with things but i think its time i should maybe bite my pride and just get some counciling. It cant do any harm. Most people ive spoken too say it does help. The anxiety attacks are the worst thing ever, if it helps me with that i will be delighted. i hate being so negative and reclusive as i have been lately.

I know its all connected with the IBD, because i have no depression in my family and have no history of it. im just fed up of this disease!

Anyway, just had to let off a bit of steam and i hope you start feeling better soon :)

Nicky

Hi Nicky

If you are having bad anxiety attacks, I agree that it would help to see a counsellor. You need to find one that suits you, so ask around and don't worry if the first one you see doesn't suit. Just try again.

Yeah just coming to reinforce the whole exercise thing, it's one of the few times I feel good! However you want to do it, try and increase the intensity each workout until you feel up to a point where you wouldn't want to run further/lift heavier/etc. I don't know if it's true for everyone but I feel better the more I've pushed myself. Obviously be careful with it all though!

Another thing that helps a bit is picking up something creative. I'd try and give you some science as to why but I don't really know why, it's just fun I guess. Unless you already know what you like it might take you a bit of time to find out just what is fun to you, but once you do it just gives you an extra thing to take your mind off things.

Seeing your doc will help a lot too, though. So you should do this regardless :p

Hey everyone thank you so much for all the replies :)

Susan and Cat, thanks for the advice about exercise. I'm rubbish at exercising, I'm quite slim so I never make it a priority because I don't need to lose any weight but I'm really unfit, and if exercise will help with my depression then I'd definitely give it a try.

Does anyone else practise mindfulness meditation? I've heard a lot about it and have always wanted to try it.

Hey Nicky, sorry to hear you're feeling down too. I notice you said that what you're experiencing isn't like you, I feel the same way too, I always used to think of myself as confident, happy and optimistic, which makes it harder to admit there's a problem. I've had episodes of anxiety before and it is horrible, I hope you can get some CBT to help and get on top of it. Can you pint point anything that started this episode for you? Counselling can be so useful, I've had a little bit in the past and it really made me feel better, the results were fantastic and I'd be on a high after every session, although I don't know about the lasting impact.

Hannah

Counselling x100!!! Since I had my last lot of counselling I've been miles better mentally. Yes, I still have the odd bad days but that's life and I wouldn't be human if I didn't. I've had quite bad depression a few times but I've never needed to take any medication as counselling has always sorted it. They change the way you think about things and get to the root of problems.

I hope you feel happier soon :)

Hey Hannah,
Just wanted to stop in and let you know that " it's normal". I was energetic, excited and happy to just go to work or play with my kids, now it takes everything I've got to get up and moving. I have started some little routines which have helped immensely. It's finding your comfort zone. I started volunteering at my youngest' school, walking , walking my dog n husband more ( lol), chatting with friends I've met on here ( great support system means the world) and drawing again after many, many years. Other things can help too though, the exercise, " talking it out" whether with family/friends or counselor, chatting on here or speaking to your doc about supplements to help. Low vit B can cause this, there is also St. Johns Wart which is for depression, BUT talk to your doc first. I have seen some positive results with this. Here is relaxation techniques; as well as, meditation, massage, body talkers or acupuncture, which many do. Keep your head up!! Best of luck to ya. -hugs-

Hey Misty, I had some counselling before, it wasn't for depression it was another issue and I really loved it, bit of a weird thing to say perhaps but it helped me so much! It's such a shame it takes so long to get any on the nhs. I'd definitely go back and ask for another referral if I felt my emotions getting out of control.

Hi Angel, thanks for the advice, sorry to hear you've been through a similar thing. It's reassuring to realise that feeling down is something everyone suffers from at some point about 99% of my friends have had some sort've low period or problem like an eating disorder in their lives, makes us realise we're all human. I might mention my problems to my IBD nurse when I see her, I find it difficult to talk to her about these things sometimes because I feel like unless I'm ready to jump out of a window most doctors think it's insignificant.

Hey everyone thank you so much for all the replies :)

Susan and Cat, thanks for the advice about exercise. I'm rubbish at exercising, I'm quite slim so I never make it a priority because I don't need to lose any weight but I'm really unfit, and if exercise will help with my depression then I'd definitely give it a try.

Does anyone else practise mindfulness meditation? I've heard a lot about it and have always wanted to try it.

Hey Nicky, sorry to hear you're feeling down too. I notice you said that what you're experiencing isn't like you, I feel the same way too, I always used to think of myself as confident, happy and optimistic, which makes it harder to admit there's a problem. I've had episodes of anxiety before and it is horrible, I hope you can get some CBT to help and get on top of it. Can you pint point anything that started this episode for you? Counselling can be so useful, I've had a little bit in the past and it really made me feel better, the results were fantastic and I'd be on a high after every session, although I don't know about the lasting impact.

Hannah
Hi Hannah

Well the anxiety has been lingering ever since i was diagnosed. It wasnt too bad at first because i didnt really understand the condition and how serious it was, i was sort of treating the IBD like it was some sort of infection that would go away in time so i wasnt too anxious.

Then i found myself starting to get a little aprehensive every time i went out because i was worried there wouldnt be any toilets at the places i was going, i found myself panicking incase i was caught short (which has never happened btw). So i believe my anxieties started from there and its just sort of grown. But it came to a head on xmas eve when i was in town shopping, the first shop i went into i had a near panic attack and had to leave the shop and i went into the shopping center and sat in the toilet with my head in my hands and was struggling to breath etc. I got an emergency appointment with my doctor and she gave me beta blockers. Ive had wee episodes before but nothing like what im getting now. Im even slightly pannicking before i go out to pubs with my friends now. even though i know there will be a toilet, its happening. So maybe this counciling malarky might not be a bad idea, although ive always been one of those people who never likes to admit theres a problem and try and sort things out myself. But if i dont get some sort of help im scared incase i end up in a loony bin haha.

Nicky

Hey Nicky,

My sister was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Anxiety-Generalised-Anxiety-Disorder.htm when she experienced really crippling anxiety and paranoia which gave her have panic attacks and made it difficult for her to leave the house in the mornings, she was put on an antidepressant which really helped and she's now been weaned off her medication and her symptoms have pretty much gone.

I think with anxiety unless it's tackled it will just get worse because panicking leads to more panicking and then panicking that you will panic etc. it's a viscous cycle, but it's so easy for it to happen. I would recommend asking for some CBT or counselling to nip it in the bud. I know I always used to be the person who was 'fine' when everyone else was struggling and it is hard admitting I have a problem but it's such a relief to be like, actually I need help, it means I don't feel I have to live up to this perfect steretype I've created for myself, and it takes the pressure off.

Hannah

Ps I'm sure you won't end up in the loony bin haha

Hi Hanna

Thanks for your reply again. Your right in everything you are saying. I went back to work yesterday so im back in my usual routine and feel a wee bit better!

Still on the beta blockers for another 2 weeks, so when i come back off them al see how i get on. How do i go about CBT? will i get it on the NHS?

PS i think a loony bin would be a right good laugh ;)

Nicky

Hope you feel comfort soon. I have lots of mental problems and the way I deal with them is by exercising and going to group therapy (really helps). I also take fish oil and noticed a difference when I stop taking it. I'm sure everyone is different though.

Glad to hear you're feeling better Nicky! Regarding CBT you just have to speak to your GP and tell him/her about your depression/anxiety and ask about counselling or CBT sessions, you'll probably have to wait up to 12 weeks but it's worth investigating because it could be helpful in the long run.

Hey wolfem, glad to hear you've found ways of dealing with your problems, can I ask did you read about omega 3 helping depression or was it recommended for you or have you just noticed a correlation between taking supplements and your mood?

Hope you feel comfort soon. I have lots of mental problems and the way I deal with them is by exercising and going to group therapy (really helps). I also take fish oil and noticed a difference when I stop taking it. I'm sure everyone is different though.
I totally agree with Wolfem group therapy and fish oil!!!

Everyone is different, and what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for all.

I believe strongly in "mind over matter" but personally can not relate to therapy, because it all translates in my head as rhetoric, and all I hear is "word salad."

Depression can also be a result of a chemical imbalance--in which case the proper meds can make a world of difference, but I personally have had bad experiences with meds, and have developed such a strong mental aversion, that I won't even allow my dentist to give me novacaine to drill on my teeth, which isn't an absolute necessity because they rarely hit any nerves anyway.

I've found works well for me personally is strenuous aerobics, preferably accompanied by very loud pop music. Why pop music? Because there's only just so much room in my head, and I can't keep track of all the steps, while mentally singing along to the songs, AND think depressing thoughts, all at the same time. I spent the better part of yesterday learning various "Gangnam Style" dances, because one never know when one might get stuck in the middle of a flash mob, right?

For severe depression though, I ride "centuries" in team formation. Which is as mentally challenging as it is physically, and I absolutely cannot afford the luxury of allowing my mind to wander for a single second, because I have to concentrate on keeping track of traffic, the pace and exact locations of every other rider, or risk suffering the consequences of causing a serious, even fatal, accident. It's incredibly nerve wracking, and at the end of the 4-5 hours (depending on the terrain and ability of team members), my brain just shuts down. When it reboots, the thrill and relief of survival is usually good for a few weeks at least.

When I get depressed the reasons are no mystery that I need someone else to help me solve. I already know all the reasons. I'm perfectly aware that my depression usually stems from situations which I can not influence and are beyond my ability to control. I have the "serenity prayer" down pat, but that still doesn't prevent the feelings of being helpless/powerless, resulting (for me) in depression. So I force myself into situations where I not only have control, but also have no other choice other than to fully concentrate and engage, both physically and mentally. This blocks all negative thoughts, while achieving a sense of accomplishment or purpose, giving me back my power.

may you find your way as well.

Glad to hear you're feeling better Nicky! Regarding CBT you just have to speak to your GP and tell him/her about your depression/anxiety and ask about counselling or CBT sessions, you'll probably have to wait up to 12 weeks but it's worth investigating because it could be helpful in the long run.

Hey wolfem, glad to hear you've found ways of dealing with your problems, can I ask did you read about omega 3 helping depression or was it recommended for you or have you just noticed a correlation between taking supplements and your mood?
Hannah-rose,

Some studies suggest that fish oil might help depression. I was taking it for arthritis and then noticed my mood would drop every time I went off of it. My aunt takes it for depression and it helps her too.

Hannah-Rose, I am so sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I came here this evening looking for some support and found it by giving some back. While everyone is different, I found a great deal of support in AA. I didn't have a drinking problem, but knew that if I stopped drinking, my IBS symptoms would be easier to tolerate. Well, AA did wonders for me as far as working through the stuff life throws at me. I got a sponsor and worked the steps and kept giving back. The best $1 a night therapy around and there is always a meeting somewhere anytime even online.

Wishing you well and good luck on your journey.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum could offer any advice on self-help or natural remedies for low mood/minor depression.

I've been struggling with minor depression for a while now, it was a niggling problem when I was living at home in 2011, then when I moved to London in 2012 I thought things would improve except my depression got worse and I was really, really unhappy. I moved back home thinking this would make me feel better and it has, but it's becoming clear to me now that my low mood isn't situational, and it might just be something that I'm going to struggle with unless I find practical ways of dealing with it.

I'm not at any risk to myself and I'm still able to go to work and live a normal life so I'm not considering medication.

My main problems are:

feeling down and hopeless
anxiety
low confidence and fear
low self-esteem
feeling disappointed with life

I'd love to be able to leap out of bed in the mornings, full of the joys of life, and one of my 2013 new years resolutions is to take practical steps to achieving good mental health and happiness.

All tips appreciated :)

Hannah

Hi Hannah!

If you would like a good read on this I recommend Feeling Good by David Burns:

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-...8&qid=1358817468&sr=1-1&keywords=feeling+good

Hannah I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I think that it is something most of us do go through though, so you are obviously not alone. I was diagnosed right when I got to college, and it affected me more than I cared to admit at the time, so I didn't do much about it. Now that I have graduated and got a job I figured it was time to address the problem. First off, like everyone has said, exercise can work wonders. I used to dread it, I hated exercising my whole life it was never my thing. Yoga changed my life. Not only did it help me get in shape and flexible, but it really helps to clear my mind and get me in a good place. The meditation part that goes along with it is something I am still struggling with, but what I have tried so far I have really liked. Second, music has really helped me, especially with the anxiety. They play ambient and ethnic music in yoga for a reason, because it can help to calm the mind. Classical can even do the trick. It always helps to calm me down when my nerves get the best of me. As far as the feeling down and disappointment goes, I just try to tell myself how much worse it could be. I try to make the most of everyday, and having that positive outlook has come from the exercise and music, eating healthy and finding stable hobbies. Now I just have to work on getting out of the house more. I am often afraid to do things because I am worried I may end up getting sick wherever I go. But I try to push myself at least a few times a week, to go somewhere and do something I don't want to do. I think, what's the worst that can happen? So I crap my pants in my car and have to go home. Life goes on. I figure once I can get past that, I am golden!

Hannah I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I think that it is something most of us do go through though, so you are obviously not alone. I was diagnosed right when I got to college, and it affected me more than I cared to admit at the time, so I didn't do much about it. Now that I have graduated and got a job I figured it was time to address the problem. First off, like everyone has said, exercise can work wonders. I used to dread it, I hated exercising my whole life it was never my thing. Yoga changed my life. Not only did it help me get in shape and flexible, but it really helps to clear my mind and get me in a good place. The meditation part that goes along with it is something I am still struggling with, but what I have tried so far I have really liked. Second, music has really helped me, especially with the anxiety. They play ambient and ethnic music in yoga for a reason, because it can help to calm the mind. Classical can even do the trick. It always helps to calm me down when my nerves get the best of me. As far as the feeling down and disappointment goes, I just try to tell myself how much worse it could be. I try to make the most of everyday, and having that positive outlook has come from the exercise and music, eating healthy and finding stable hobbies. Now I just have to work on getting out of the house more. I am often afraid to do things because I am worried I may end up getting sick wherever I go. But I try to push myself at least a few times a week, to go somewhere and do something I don't want to do. I think, what's the worst that can happen? So I crap my pants in my car and have to go home. Life goes on. I figure once I can get past that, I am golden!
I think you are an inspiration because you are clearly trying so hard not to let your problems get the better of you! It takes a lot of work to get on top of things when you're feeling bogged down but you sound like you're doing great :)

Hey, this sounds exactly like what I should be doing!

Hello Hannah. I have recently been diagnosed with depression, and I agree with you, that it isn't situational. I have spoken to my sister and best friend about any depressing issues, like crohns going back to uni, blah blah, but depression is an illness. Some days I just feel like I'm not motivated to do anything, other days I'm fine. And I could have a really great day, nothing to be 'depressed' about, so no reason to go see a counsellor, yet feel depressed for no reason. I also read that excersize can help. I did a little bit of tai chi, and really enjoyed it. I thought this year ill do more, but then did my budget, and thought its not another thing I could budget in, even at 10 per week. So then I thought I'd just start excersizeing in the mornings, but most days, I have not the slighted motivation for excersize. I'm on antidepressants, but not sure wether it helps all that much. As far as anxiety about using the toilet in public, I think all of us with ibd have that. If I feel even slightly bloated, or like I may need to go to the toilet soon, tummy gurgling etc, then I don't even like to go to the supermarket. Maybe try an antidepressant, and light excersize and see if it helps. Best wishes xoxo

Doggy friends

Hi Hannah...just a thought...so many suggestions of exercise ( something to do with raising the seratonin levels) and my brain thought I wonder if you have a dog? Not only do they give great advice when you're feeling down;ie 'lets go and have a snuggle on the sofa together?' but they would give you the responsibility for ensuring that you both get some:ghug: exercise. We have 2 and whilst they both have different temperaments, if I'm down they do know and offer affection. Not many counsellors will do that!
Hope things improve for you soon...xx

Last edited:
Hi Paddy,

Aw I don't have a dog, but I would love one! I absolutely love dogs, I've always wanted one, I don't think anyone could be sad if they had a dog to say hi to them at the end of the day :) but until I have my own house I won't be getting one, although I guess I could do dog walking for elderly neighbours...

I'm doing a lot better though at the moment, I still have down moments (usually the Sunday blues strikes and I feel down) but since New Year things have really picked up and I'm hoping they'll stay that way :)

Hannah x

my dog goes to bed if its just me and him left in the same room! not sure what to make of that! haha

as everybody already said, exercise is definitley the best way to pick up your mood and eating healthy... I had been feeling pretty down from the start of the year, but recently started juicing, and it really has made me feel so much better.. hopefully my GI will let me back to the gym (i find out tomorrow :D ) then I will be even better.. I think the key is to concentrate on your own wellbeing for a while, it really helps!

Im glad your feeling better though, and i hope you continue to!

I also read that excersize can help. I did a little bit of tai chi, and really enjoyed it. I thought this year ill do more, but then did my budget, and thought its not another thing I could budget in, even at 10 per week.
You don't actually don't need to spend a single cent. You have a computer, and youtube has all the workout routines you could ever want or need, complete with professional instructors.

For Tai Chi, just google "youtube tai chi" or "youtube tai chi for beginners" and find one you like.

There's yoga, Billy Banks Boot Camp, fluidity, abs of steel, etc., and my favorite for morning cardio, which is the "Just Dance" and "Dance Central" video game dance routines.

I have the gaming consoles, and own the games, but to just learn and dance the routines, it's so much easier to just pull them up on youtube -- and dancing to pop music first thing in the morning wakes me up and puts me in a really good mood.

My current favorites are "Good Feeling" - Flo Rida and "You make me feel" - Cobra Starship

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CFZHJJGgQ_c&feature=related

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=-tLC7gKMUao

My all-time very favorite is "Hey Ya" - Outkast
(this is the same dance as on the game, but this girl just does it so well)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=zm7ege3PzPM

When lacking energy, "Just Dance Kids" is much easier, and the dances are still fun.

Hannah Rose... what a great idea, walking elderly people's dogs for them! There are days when the thought of going out fills me with dread but if I had someone like you, life would be so much nicer. Maybe you could walk together. I sometimes meet elderly people on my walks and they are nearly always keen to chat.
When you do get a dog, I recommend a whippet. They are not like they appear to be. They love to sleep and eat and 20 minutes walk is all they want...perfect pets! ours also loves to snuggle, she's so gorgeous!

I'd be lost without my dog. I love walking her - I always feel better after taking her out, even if I've been feeling exhausted that day. She sleeps on my bed and keeps me company at night. She always helps my mood.

My baby nephew always makes me feel good too. You can't help but be distracted from negative thoughts when there's a baby to fawn over. Even the less pleasant parts of taking care of him - screaming, nappies, etc. ;) - make me feel better. His mum (my sister) is always with him, so I also don't have the responsibilty I'd have if I was caring for him on my own. If I did, being with him may not make me feel so good sometimes because I'd be so anxious of something going wrong.

Ya noy - haha my family will love that, when I get up tomorrow at 6:30am and dance to Outkast!! Great idea though, I used to love doing the dance mat games, it's great exercise too.

Aw Paddy, if you lived closer I'd happily walk your dog! Maybe I'll look into that, I'm pretty swamped right now with my volunteering but I'd love to walk dogs for the elderly :) I bet there's websites for that sort of thing, I'm going to look into it.

Hannah, you sound so positive! I love your attitude and your talk of volunteering projects...nothing's going to beat you and you're an inspiration to us all!:hug:

Glad you're feeling better Hannah, it seems we all have our moments (though some of them last a while!).

I myself am having another off day, which I only seem to get when my stomach plays up and I start convincing myself i'll feel that way for the rest of my life. I'm reluctant to call it depression, but I definately have some issues that need resolving.

...Aw Paddy, if you lived closer I'd happily walk your dog! Maybe I'll look into that, I'm pretty swamped right now with my volunteering but I'd love to walk dogs for the elderly :) I bet there's websites for that sort of thing, I'm going to look into it.
Your local vet could probably put you in touch with someone who needs their dog walked.

Susan what a good idea! I didn't think of that. I bet dog walking's more fun in the summer though, it's freezing in England at the moment, also, great little emoticon lol.

Aw Paddy *blushes* that's so sweet, thank you :)

Hey Jordan, sorry to hear you're having a bad day. Do you work? Do you have to take time off from your job sometimes? Crohn's usually doesn't get me down because it's under control but for example when I mess up my Humira shots I get this horrible sinking feeling in my stomach and I realise how much being ill is linked with how I feel.

Jam( Jason) my heart goes out to you. Apart from the condition we all share in one form or another, depression is almost as bad( sometimes even worse). I don't have any profound suggestions...my only advice is to roll with the punches. If you can sleep some of it off, do! If that's not possible, remember it does pass, though at the time it may not feel like that. Log on to here and have amoan, we'll all understand and you'll get masses of support.
Good luck, thinking of you,:ghug:

Hannah, I am sorry to hear you are feeling depressed and anxious. I will jump on the exercise bandwagon and say that it helps if and when you can do it. Also, sparkpeople.com has lots of free exercise videos of every flavor and level if you are on a tight budget.

When I am feeling down, I tend to let girlie grooming things slide. I get a shower, but that's about it, and I'm pretty sure I don't even look in the mirror. It sounds shallow, but if I take to time to give myself a nice pedicure with a fun color that makes me happy, I feel better. If you can afford it, go out for one. I go to my local cosmetology school and get a pedi for $5. I don't do it often, but it sure feels like I am spoiling myself.

My therapist and I joke "Fake it till you make it". If you try to do the things that someone who is not depressed or anxious can do, you tend to feel less depressed and anxious. It can be really hard to take the first step to do anything at all, but you feel better when you do.

I think that volunteering to dog walk for someone who can't is such a great idea. My mom's neighbor in her senior apartment complex had a knee replacement, and couldn't walk her dog so someone did it for her and it was a win-win for everyone.

Honestly, any small way you can volunteer anywhere will make you feel better. It's good for the soul.

I wish you every success in feeling better. It's very empowering to take steps to help yourself, and then to be successful at it.

I would echo the whole yoga/dancing/breath work thing. Watch comedies, too.

On the supplement side, I would give folic acid, SAM-E, rhodiola rosea and B vits a serious try before ever resorting to depression meds. "Now" brand is pretty cheap at online megaretailers. Also, don't discount the gut/neuro connection of probiotics; take Jarrow EPS daily, for instance.

Hey guys thanks for all the advice, sadly I've been struck again by a serious bout of fear/anxiety, and I'm wondering when it will ever go away!

Some of you may remember when I was living in London last year and I was really sick with my Crohn's and really depressed. I guess I didn't realise how much that episode has effected my confidence...

I always intended to settle somewhere other than my home town (I'm bored of the place, and there's too many ex's and ghosts I just want to move on). I've just found a job that I'd be perfect for in Norwich, the city where I went to University. I was planning on looking for work there in the summer but this job just seems too good to pass up, so I want to apply now. I was really excited about it initially but now I just feel this sick dread when I think about moving away again.

I wanted to move to Norwich because my best friend lives there, but I know that she's looking for other jobs elsewhere because she hates her current job, so I can't rely on the fact that she'll always be living there too. Other than her I only know one other person in the city and she lives with her boyfriend so is rarely free.

I love the city and there's lots of opportunities for volunteering and social clubs to meet new people, and the job is at my old University on a beautiful campus by a lake and I could cycle to work, so it's pretty perfect really.

I just can't get rid of this terrible fear that I'm going to be as homesick as I was when I lived in London. It's so stupid, I lived away at Uni for 3 years, spent 3 summers living away in Cambridge, and 3 months in Ghana and I was fine! But this anxiety is really crippling me and I don't know how to let it go.

I'm afraid of living in a house-share with people I don't know, even though logically it could work out really great and I could make great friends, and if I didn't like it I could move. But again, nothing will get rid of this feeling. I don't want to think it's intuition, because I never ever intended to stay living and working in the town I grew up in.

So how can I beat this anxiety?

Hi Hannah-Rose

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned 'Mindfulness'. I have just started working with this technique and am feeling very positive about what this can do. I also have been suffering for the last 3 months (fear of going out, lack of confidence and bad reactions to meds) and this technique has really helped me to start to look at things differently. I am now not fighting so much against my body and the Crohns and just starting to realise that I have to learn to live with it and regain some balance in my life. My therapist introduced me to this technique and here is a link to a great website www.freemindfulness.org.
I would certainly recommend looking into it and giving it a go - it can take time to master the techniques.
Good luck and for what it's worth my view is that you should give Norwich a go.
Take care :hug:

First of all Hannah, I think you should make a list of pro's and con's. Whichever of the list is the longest should give you an indication of what YOU want. Then I suggest some thinking ahead...is anyone from the forum from Norwich? Is there a medical unit within the Uni if you have problems?
These are all practical things which can be done from a distance. Your friends who are maybe moving may have contacts to whom they can introduce you...Ultimately only you can decide but remember only you have the final decision and the location sounds great. If you go, keep in touch 'cos we'll all still be here and you've got loads of friends here!:ghug:

Hi CeeCee, yes I've been talking to a guy from the forum about mindfulness, I've got the book I just haven't put it into practise yet! Silly I know, I definitely will. Thank you for your advice and support :) I'm glad mindfulness is working for you, there's so much science behind it, it's a wonder more people aren't doing it.

Hiya Paddy, that's good advice, I actually did this a while ago! I'd love to live in Norfolk, it's so beautiful (see pics) it's just my fear and anxiety that holds me back. I had a session with my mentor last night and we talked it over and she taught me some techniques for coping with anxiety which really helped; she's an amazing woman.

There is a medical centre on campus which thinking about it would be so handy, now I really want this job lol, I even googled GIs at Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and I picked the one I wanted haha. If I did get the job and moved I would be much more prepared than before for moving to a new place. It really helps to have the security of a forum like this though, everyone on here helped me so much when I was struggling in London, I know I'd be able to count on you if things went wrong! I'm feeling a lot more positive though, I'm going to apply and I'll let you all know how I get on :)

Wells-Next-The-Sea

The Norfolk Broads

A bit of English countryside for those across the channel!

Those pics are stunning and I can see why you'd want to move over there. You sound a little less anxious than you did when you first posted your message. I hope it all works out for you and, just one bit of very wise advice...wherever you choose to live, find a place that doesn't flood! I heard the East coast got a bit soggy earlier this year. Good Luck and keep in touch! x