• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's best medication for ankylosing spondylitus with Crohns

Hello, I have both Crohns disease (resection when I was 18) and Ankylosing spondylitus (diagnosed when I was also 18). What anti inflammatory meds are best to reduce pain associated with AS with minimum impact on Crohns?

thanks

Mike
(from Australia)

Remicade and Humira were made for both diseases. My son is on prednisone right know and is helping with, pain but is not good for long term. Hope you find something that makes you feel better soon.

Hello, I have both Crohns disease (resection when I was 18) and Ankylosing spondylitus (diagnosed when I was also 18). What anti inflammatory meds are best to reduce pain associated with AS with minimum impact on Crohns?

thanks

Mike
(from Australia)
Mike, im in the same boat. I was diagnosed with both at 20, twenty-two years ago. I avoid NSAIDs at all costs. Yes, they will provide relief but their adverse affect on your GI tract will, most likely, perpetuate your arthritis flare up. Have you tried vitamin D3? Do you avoid alcohol and other triggers? The best medicine is preventive medicine through diet and exercise. When I have a flare up, it mainly affects my tendons in my back. The scapula area and ribs hurt like hell. Sneezing or coughing is the worst. Fortunately, I limit these episodes by watching what I eat and drink. I play ice hockey once a week year round and have done several ultra endurance bike events, including the Leadville Trail 100.
The only way I could partake in these activities is/was by foregoing my beloved tequila and certain foods that I know trigger my arthritis. During a flare up, I will take Tylenol Arthritis (extended release) or, if real bad,I keep a supply of Tylenol 3 around to get me through the few days it takes for a flare up to subside.

Hi MikeO,

I have not yet been diagnosed as having Ankylosing Spondylitis however I do have Sacrioliitis which is the start of AS. I am currently on 6MP (8th week of 6MP) and also tapering off prednisone. As I have slowly tapered off the prednisone my aches and pains have come back, anything below 30mg of prednisone and I have pain and discomfort. I am due to go back to GI next week and hopefully I will get some insight into what the next steps are for medication as I don't think the 6MP will be enough to help with the Sacroiliitis and aches and pains.

Prednisone 15mg
6MP 50mg
Nexium 40mg
Fish Oil
Calcium

Just the thread I was looking for.

I was diagnosed with AS in August 2012 and CD in January 2013.

The first treatment option for me was sulfasalazine. This treats both CD and AS. The problem is that it only treats CD in the large intestine and after this weeks CD flare up they have taken me off it.

My thought was that the option after sulfasalazine is biologics, however they have put me onto entocort. This was the decision by the GI doc and my rheumy doesn't know yet. I don't think that she will be too happy when she finds out. She wanted to get me straight onto the bios.

I am worried that while it fixes the IBD it will cause damage with the AS and there is only so many paid meds that I can take. It hasn't been untreated for a few years now (before dx I was on naproxen). I can not imagine this been a good 4 weeks for me.

:pale:

PsychoJane

I know that methotrexate was suggested to me but I just read a paper saying otherwise and that it had minimal impact on AS so I guess it might not be the best option. Still, it would be supposed to be beneficial for both crohn and AS (so would biological be). In general they use humira, remicade, embrel or simponi when it comes to anti-tnf. The latter two are not recognized for the treatment of CD though even though they are beneficial for some.

PsychoJane

Oh and when it comes to these disease I'll agree with the ones that mention that diet was important. I recently learn I most likely have sacroilitis and well, I follow what is called a hypotoxic way of eating. It is very close to paleo diet and it cuts gluten, dairy and reduce the cooking to a maximum. This seems to helps so far and I'm hoping it will allow me to control my symptoms this way.