• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Entocort & WEIGHT GAIN

Entocort and Weight Gain

• Yes, I gained weight while taking Entocort

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No, I did not gain weight on Entocort

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Everyone!
POLL from a curious crohn's gal here!

Curious to know who out there has been on Entocort and if so, how much weight did you gain??? I have heard varying things from no weight gain to over 50 lbs in 2 months.
I am 1 week into my course and really trying to not gain!!!
Anyone who responds- THANK YOU!!!
:ycool:

Unfortunately, I have been on Entocort for 8 1/2 months and have gained 25 pounds. I am trying as well. I can see a huge difference in my face and stomach, but have gained everywhere. I definitely did not want to gain. But my GI won't taper me until I have been on biologics for a while, and the way the insurance is going, it looks to be the end of summer before I will be off it. He said once my fatigue subsides then the weight will come off. I wish I was as optimistic. :/

Hi Lisadc1,

That is so tough! Thanks for your reply! I am so sorry to hear it. I hope they can taper you soon! How is it going with the Biologics? If the Entocort doesn't help with my ulcers I am going to have to step up to Humira, which is going to be like, VERY tough for me since I'm reluctant to start a Biologic...

I haven't begun. My insurance denied the Remicade last week until I try Humira first. hey are working with the pharmacy now, so I should begin in a couple of days. I have been extremely reluctant as well. I have put it off for a few months, but my GI is insistent & persistent.

Definitely gained weight while on Entocort, I was normally around 145lb, with being diagnosed with Crohn's I was 117lbs. Entocort brought me back up to my normal, 140ish.

If you have lost weight from an illness, any therapy that is working will likely promote weight gain to your normal weight.

Definitely gained weight while on Entocort, I was normally around 145lb, with being diagnosed with Crohn's I was 117lbs. Entocort brought me back up to my normal, 140ish.
Hi Niki!
Thanks for your response! How long were on you the Entocort? I'm supposed to stay on it for 60 days. If you don't mind me asking, when you did notice the weight gain? I feel like i'm going to swell on month 2.

Also- did the Entocort make you ravenous?

I was on Entocort for six months, then stepped up to prednisone. I noticed most of my weight gain in months 2, and 3. I then started to lose again because the Entocort had stopped working. Compared to prednisone, I did not necessarily feel ravenous, I just started to notice that I craved sugar and carbs more so than normal... Everything from candy, cookies, cake, white bread, pasta. I know it has helped a lot of people, and helped me for a time, it's definitely worth a try, especially over prednisone.

Hi Niki!
Thanks for your response! How long were on you the Entocort? I'm supposed to stay on it for 60 days. If you don't mind me asking, when you did notice the weight gain? I feel like i'm going to swell on month 2.

Also- did the Entocort make you ravenous?
Hi LaurenAuf...
I am just finishing 3 months on Entocort for active Crohns and my dr is putting me on Remicade in November. It does have less side effects than Prednisone but my face did get a bit puffier, and I feel like I have more body fat but scale as of last week only reflected a few pounds plus. I am already a sweetaholic but my cravings for chocolate are sweets are increased. I am also on a GF and roughage free diet ( had my large intestine removed 3 yrs ago due to colon cancer), so basically I can eat GF breads, cereals, pizza, pasta, pancakes and chicken and turkey and eggs. I miss fruit, salads and some veggies.... good to be off red meat though.

I wish you luck on it and yeah, as I am tapering off and almost done, I am getting the pain back in my small intestine, but want to move off it if I can.

Wishing you good luck and no side effects

Robin

I finished a 60 day rx and seem to have gained 5 lbs. I think it made me hungrier. And did have rounder face...or that is where the extra 5 lbs went.:)

I have been on it for years and have gained a lot of weight, mostly in my mid section. Better than being sick all the time I guess.

I hope i will gain weight!! crohn or IBD does give mallabsorption and I lose too much weight! I hope I can become FAT! so my body has some reserve when I lose again some weight. Its weird people are scared for gaining?? The problem with IBD is that we lose normally too much weight.

I hope i will gain weight!! crohn or IBD does give mallabsorption and I lose too much weight! I hope I can become FAT! so my body has some reserve when I lose again some weight. Its weird people are scared for gaining?? The problem with IBD is that we lose normally too much weight.
Exactly. I can not gain any weight so when I flare it comes off even faster! Hope LDN helps me gain weight!

Yes, It does cause weight loss. When I was younger I had a very hard time keeping any weight on. My dr. Tells me not to worry about the weight for the same reason you stated. It's just that when ever you have been very thin for what ever reason, and then gain a lot of weight, it really messes with your self image. Of course I'm am thankful for the fact that I am able to gain weight now, I just wish it was distributed better! :ylol::thumright:

Yeah, I litterly wonna be fat :) like 20 kilos extra or so :p :) Then I dont have to be scared I dont have reserves ;) Its crazy right. I see people do crazy stuff to lose weight. I always laugh and tell them.. I could use some fat from ur body. Please bring it over :)

Hi there,
Been on Entocort since Jan/2015 and I've gained back the 75lbs I lost while on Safolalk, back to my original weight, which is very depressing. But I'm sure that's another thread. :)

I've been on prednisone for a little more than a month now and haven't really gained any weight.. :(
I actually really wanna gain some because I had lost more than 30 pounds in last 3 months because of Crohn's!