• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to work and keep a job with a anal fistula?

I just got a job today start saturday has anyone had to work on your feet all day with a anal fistula? How do you keep the pain down so you can perform your task? Any advice would be great. And oh my anal fistula get some what tender and leaks a little blood but the more I stand it really sweals and hurts.

nogutsnoglory

Interesting question because I had more pain when sitting with an anal fistula. The best thing is to be treated with medication, are you on a drug like Remicade? Also, keep the area very clean and if needed see if your GI will prescribe pain killers for when the pain is intolerable.

Edit: I see your signature says remicade so that's great.

Hello, do you have a peri bottle? It is a small squirt bottle for holding water to clean/rinse peri areas. You could carry it in a small accessory/shaving bag for when you use the restroom? You can get one at the pharmacy usually. Also do you have a sitz bath? A good way to clean the area before you leave the house and as often as possible when at home. Water is often the best to help keep the area clean. Ask if you can add sea salt or Epsom salt.
Pat dry with a cloth - for both. They might help keep the area clean and less irritated.
A pad or liner can help with leaks, change frequently. Unscented if you can.

As always, ask your Dr.
Best to you.

I never really had pain from my anal fistula, just leaking which I used a panty liner or gauze pad for.

If it is sensitive from being raw I would recommend using antiseptic cleaner (Hibiclens) when you shower - this instantly relieves the stinging pain. I then put on a layer of Aquapfor (sometimes mixed with cornstarch for absorption) to protect the skin against the drainage.

If it is simply pain from the fistula itself, I don't have any helpful tips, just best wishes.

I just got a job today start saturday has anyone had to work on your feet all day with a anal fistula? How do you keep the pain down so you can perform your task? Any advice would be great. And oh my anal fistula get some what tender and leaks a little blood but the more I stand it really sweals and hurts.
I see you are on Remicade. Do you currently have a fistula seton in place or has the seton been removed? Is the Remicade helping in healing your fistula? I am currently not on a Biologic & do experience some flaring & discomfort (including some bleeding as well) with the remaining fistula that has not yet been treated with a draining seton. I do find an Epsom tub soak at the end of the day provides some relief. However, your main concern right now is coping with the fistula while at work. Have you asked your GI about Flagyl-Cipro to help you manage the fistula flare ups?

No I don't have a seton in place cause my surgeon said these things no matter what you do they just wont heal all that great. So he made sure my GI would up my remicade cause that was the best chance of getting it to heal. He must have been right cause my fistula which was about the size of a glof ball has srunk down to a small bump and it has a raw spot that just hurts when I get sweat on it or it seems to try and swell a little when I stand for a long time. But the fistula does not drain anymore just a small amount of blood comes out. But I guess after what I have been through in the past year with it I guess it is a big victory if you can call it that. And thanks to everyone for your advice I will keep in mind.

Hibiclens has a warning not to be used internally or in genital areas. I would definitely not use this near the anus.
I have used it in the vaginal area in the past and it gives me a UTI feeling for 24 hours. I don't do that anymore. I use it during almost every shower for my anal area, and I do have slightly ulcerated areas, and have never had an issue. It IMMEDIATELY stops the sting.
I even told a few doctors I use it and none have batted an eyelash.

Just my own anticdote.