• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going on Remicade, anyone wearing gloves when goin out?

sooo my immune system has been bad my whole life, but now that I have Crohns, its worse. I caught influenza in may! and TB last Dec! but now im goin on Remicade, my ma wants me to wear a mask but I already said no to that! but has anyone taken up wearing gloves? thought maybe some elbow length or something. I work in the kids club and my church so want something to cover my arms. I kinda feel like Rogue form X-men :) but anywho, anyone else do this? and what type/cloth did you buy?

what age group are you around? You should never be in a child care environment with a suppressed immune system. We watch our new college graduates drop like flies the first year they come to teach in Kindergarten or Head-start. Many germs are airborn and a sneeze will send the little critters airborne for 20-30 feet. The transmission site of eyes nose and mouth are touched many times a day as you move your hair out of your face, scratch an itchy eye or cover your mouth or nose. The daily risk are just to great. We had a very lovely teacher who finally was told by her doctor that she needed to change professions as her immune system was weak and she stayed sick while teaching.

Please reconsider another area you may work/help that does not include small children for your health.

Just remember that nothing can beat soap and water for killing germs. Many hand sans just kill some germs and others just smear them around. My daughter has gotten very good at using her elbow to press buttons, foot to hit door open button and keeping a travel pack of clorox wipes to clean surfaces where she sits.

Good luck with the Remicade

If you had TB or have it are you sure you should be going on remicade? Does your GI Dr know about the TB?

Last edited:
yeah they found the tb thru the Gold Blood test, and I did the 6 month antibiotic treatment for it, im all cleared up now. doing an MRI on tues to make sure my abscess is under control before starting.

I love working in kids club on weds nights, im trusting God to keep me safe there, but am thinking of wearing gloves non the less (not that I don't trust Him 100% lol)

jus wondering if anyone else has taken up wearing gloves. what do you think woul dbe the best fabric?

oh ps, I work with kids 4-11. but I usually jus do the older kids games, and get snacks ready and do crowd control lol

I'm on Remicade, I work in education and I also work part time as a waitress. I never thought of wearing gloves, but I've just become more anal about washing my hands, using hand sanitizer, etc. So far...I've been good!

I'm seriously considering a mask until I can get my flu vaccine though. There have been a lot of early cases already in my area....my Remicade infusion is a week from Monday, the kids start on Thursday and you can't get vaccinated 2 weeks before or after a Remicade infusion.

I think just washing your hands very frequently and keeping your fingers away from your mouth should suffice. I'm taking Humira and I've started washing my hand much more often and I take hand sanitizer with me everywhere. I don't personally think gloves are necessary, but I would consider wearing a mask if I were going on an airplane ( because of the recirculated air) or if I were entering a hospital to visit someone. I think the germs you breathe are worse than the ones you can wash off of your hands.

I'm on humira and imuran and do not get any more sick then before the meds. I teach kindergarten and have been fine. I do wash my hands often throughout the day and try to get plenty of rest.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I work in retail and use hand sanitizer frequently.I have been on Remicade for 5.5 weeks and,knock on wood,haven't got the 'gleep' my co-workers have.I do wash my hands frequently.I also use rubbing alcohol on phones,door knobs,etc...paranoid?Maybe.

Good luck!

nogutsnoglory

I'm on Remicade, I work in education and I also work part time as a waitress. I never thought of wearing gloves, but I've just become more anal about washing my hands, using hand sanitizer, etc. So far...I've been good!

I'm seriously considering a mask until I can get my flu vaccine though. There have been a lot of early cases already in my area....my Remicade infusion is a week from Monday, the kids start on Thursday and you can't get vaccinated 2 weeks before or after a Remicade infusion.
Wow didn't know this about Remicade. I better get my shot before my next infusion. It's not live so why does it matter?

My doctor explained to me that it still weakens your immune system, that to then get your infusion right before or after, it's like a double whammy! ( Like if you're sick you can't get the flu vaccine until you're better, Remicade increases your chances of getting sick since it suppresses your immune system)

I was never one for the flu vaccine, etc, but my Dr pretty much said you are getting them!! I had to get the Hep A and the pneumonia vaccines too.

Alley2231- Does your dr suggest waiting two weeks, also? My son has to get his flu vaccine and one other vaccine, and I am trying to time it right.

Yes, I can't get any vaccines 2 weeks before an infusion or 2 weeks after the infusion. Stinks for me because they are doing a flu clinic at my job on Wednesday.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
My doctor has never said anything about that, in fact I think I got my flu shot at my trade appt one year! Never had a problem with it.

I work in an environment that has over 10,000 people per DAY passing through and working there. I'm usually healthier than anyone in my family. I make sure I wash and use hand sanitizer, no other special precautions.

rygon

I've asked about the flu vaccine and they said as long as it is the dead vaccine then get it whenever you want and that it is recommended.

With catching things, other than flu vaccine and washing hands I don't worry about it. My bloods show that my white blood cell levels are good so I will be able to fight off infections as good as anyone else.

I was more worried about aza with regards to infections than I was remicade, and I havent been more ill or had the illness worse since starting it.

Also unless you are changing the gloves regularly (like disposable latex ones) then they are more likely to harbour more bacteria than just using your hands imo

good point guys, thanks!

I cant take flu shots, and haven't had any vaccines in over 15 years. my gpa got Gillian Barea syndrome from a flu shot, so they've told me not to take any. not sure what ill do about the pre-Remicades ones :/

dave13

Forum Monitor
I have never taken advantage of flu shots.It seems I should get one now I am on Remicade.My next infusion is one week away,the six week mark.

rygon

I didnt have any pre remicade vaccinations. I wasn't even asked, although I am up to date as far as I'm aware with shots.

The main thing is don't worry, you have enough on your plate as it is. Live life as you normally would and I'm sure you will be fine.

I've been on biologics (Remicade then Humira) for 14 years. I actually found my immune system was better on it, possibly because my body wasn't fighting anymore.

My GI recommended getting the flu vaccine and making sure my pneumonia shot was updated prior to starting Remicade. I think the recommendation is that anyone in the household should do the same.

When I took my kids to get their flu vaccine, the paperwork said that the nasal spray is live virus and that it should not be taken by people who live with someone taking immunocompromising meds (specifying Remicade). The shot is deactivated virus.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I had a flu shot five days ago,my GI wanted me to have one.I was reluctant,but I did it,and haven't had a reaction.Knock on wood! My colorectal surgeon was against me having one.Since my GI is managing my care,I listened to him.

My GI said since I'm at the mid point between infusions(every 8 weeks)my immune system should be strong enough for the vaccination.

my two cents worth on flu shots. :)

DJW

Forum Monitor
I work in retail and use hand sanitizer frequently.I have been on Remicade for 5.5 weeks and,knock on wood,haven't got the 'gleep' my co-workers have.I do wash my hands frequently.I also use rubbing alcohol on phones,door knobs,etc...paranoid?Maybe.

Good luck!
I do the same thing.

I keep reading flu shot should be given two weeks or two weeks after Remicade. My daughter went for her first infusion and received flu shot shill receiving Remicade. She really didn't ask nurse any questions. About twenty four hours after infusion she woke up in middle of night with horrible knee pains. She called me screaming and I rushed to her house and gave her two tylenols and a Benadryl. After an hr. pain went away but knees are weak. Wonder if flu shot contributed to this knee pain. She went to hospital but forgot to mention to her dr the flu shot. Any ideas?