• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula Treatment?

I was just diagnosed with Crohn's about a month ago after noticing an abscess and having a CT Scan, MRI, and Colonoscopy. The abscess turned into a Fistula and I have not been able to get an appointment with my GI doctor because he was on vacation. His office told me to get one with my primary physician. To treat it she cleaned it out with water and then packed it with gauze that is first treated with Iodine I believe. She also put me on 10mg Pred and an Antibiotic. Is this a usual treatment for a Fistula? I mostly see people talk about Fistulatomys.

Anti-inflammatories and antibiotics are the standard, intiial non-invasive treatment. If infectious fluid keeps building up most fistula sufferers will then have a seton inserted to help it drain. Best to not jump into the deep end (major surgical methods) too quickly. Keep in mind any rational surgeon will avoid pressuring you into surgery as a guaranteed solution.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
It also depends on the doctor- I had multiple fistula but never had surgery even though I consulted with a surgeon and he kept an eye on them. Due to the disease, it can be very difficult for healing to occur if surgery is performed. I was able to have mine taken care of by going on Remicade, which closed them up.

I would recommend exploring all options and working with your doctor too see what might work best for you. Flagyl is one antibiotic that may be used, personally I can't take it any more as it makes me quite ill from the side effects.

I was just diagnosed with Crohn's about a month ago after noticing an abscess and having a CT Scan, MRI, and Colonoscopy. The abscess turned into a Fistula and I have not been able to get an appointment with my GI doctor because he was on vacation. His office told me to get one with my primary physician. To treat it she cleaned it out with water and then packed it with gauze that is first treated with Iodine I believe. She also put me on 10mg Pred and an Antibiotic. Is this a usual treatment for a Fistula? I mostly see people talk about Fistulatomys.
hi, I wonder if you have other symptoms before the abscess. I have an abscess and fistula for two months. no symptoms and MRI doesn't show sign of Crohns. my surgeon didn't think so but I wonder if I should request for some tests. Thanks!