• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mucus in stool?

Lately, whenever I go number 2, the toilet fills with a clear mucus. I dont feel it come out, i just see it 'swirling' in the toilet water. Whenever I sit down for too long, it seems as though this mucus 'leaks' out and wets my underwear. Sometimes it has no smell, other times it smells like poop.

I do not have any anal fissures or sores around the anus.

I dont eat any junk food or milk. I exercise regularly and I am currently in remission and have been for several years (6?)

What is causing this?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
What have you been diagnosed with Nate? This might help us understand and give you ideas as well.
I only had one flare up, when I was young (10-14). They then diagnosed me with a very mild case of Crohn's. I have been in remission every since.

I dont believe I have an anal fissure. I have felt around the anus, and I dont not feel anything out of the ordinary or have any pain.

nogutsnoglory

Nate you can have abscesses, fistulas and fissures in the anus and be unaware, they can be deeper. I'm not saying you have one but I think a prostrate exam by your doctor is warranted.

I would say that warrants a visit to the doctor just for peace of mind. I get mucous that comes out when I urinate sometimes without me even realizing it. Luckily it hasn't happened off of the toilet. It usually happens between flares and my stomach won't feel right around the time it's happening. I have not been in remission at all since getting sick. I'll have some pretty decent weeks with one or two bad days, but no really long stretch without symptoms.

I agree, I would run it by your gastroenterologist. Lots of things can cause mucus, Mucus is very common with IBS as well from what I was told. I would ask you gastro just to be sure though.