• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Keeping Humira Cold While Traveling

I've been on Humira for a couple years now and most of my travel in the US has been by car or scheduled around my injection day so I don't have to mess with it.
However, I got short notice from work that I will be going to Israel for two weeks and the halfway point of the trip is my injection day. I'll be staying at decent hotels that should have a fridge for me to use, but I'm a bit worried about the flight time.
I have a 90 minute drive to IAD, fly to JFK, 2 hr layover, then roughly 12-13 hour flight followed by transportation to the hotel.
How do you folks keep your humira cold for such a long time? I'm thinking about picking up a wireless thermometer and putting that plus the humira and an ice pack in an insulated container (thinking food jar or one of my Hydroflasks) and going that route. I've had ice keep all day for me while traveling in Haiti, so I feel this should keep it pretty close.

Probably a little late to the game, but I'm just about to start in on Humira and travel a lot, so been doing my research on just such a thing...

The one I keep comin back to is http://medactiv.com.au/Travel-Bags/iCool-Prestige/index.html ... sounds like you can freeze it before ya go, and then ice it up along the way if you need to.

How'd you manage on yer trip? Any tricks or tips?
Wish I had seen that before I went, it looks nice.
I talked with my GI and he recommended we switch my dosage schedule around so I ended uo not having to take any while I was gone. There were a couple rough days on the back end of the schedule, but it worked out.

The Abbvie company actually sent me a travel pack for Humira with its own ice packs, free of charge. I don't know if I needed any kind of special qualification to get it, they just offered when I was on the phone ordering a medical waste container and I accepted. I don't travel much, but it's good to have just in case.