• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula Gore Plug success stories?

I apologize if there is already a thread on this but I am having trouble finding info on people who have had a gore plug done within the last few years. Have any of you had on put it and it actually worked? My dr has told me that it is 50/50 at best. I'm day 3 and not really sore anymore but I ma terrified that it will fall out. Any advise would be really appreciated!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Sorry for the late reply steph0823. How are you feeling now?

This thread has a similar situation but unfortunately no replies. :( http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=54838

I'm going to tag some members to see if maybe they know anything about it or anyone who's had success. Absentminded, xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx, DustyKat, PsychoJane, Pointy_ears have you had this done or know of anyone who has? Thank you. :)

I'm 2 weeks post op and so far so good. I met with my surgeon yesterday and she says that it's looking good. I'm praying my heart out and keeping my fingers crossed that this works!!

Hi Steph, I hope for a successful outcome for your fistula plug. I probably will be in the same situation. My CRS plan for my 2 fistulas, draining seton then after everything calmed down she will do the GORE A fistula plug. Please keep us updated with your progress. How does it feel with the plug? Did you have the seton too first before you had the plug? Sending you healing prayers.....

I can't feel the plug at all just the stitches if I move the wrong way sometime. I had a seton for about a year before she did the plug. It was actually my second seton. She put one in 7/10 and planned to do a plug 1/11 but I thought I knew best and just demanded she take the seton out and I'd see what happened (my GI at the time agreed with me that I shouldn't do the surgery. Now I have one of the leading GIs in my area taking care of me) well it flared up again 12/11 but surprise surprise I was unexpectedly pregnant so no seton until 8/12. It has been a LONG few years dealing with this.

Its a plug with a cap on one end that is inserted into the interior opening of the fistula. It is supposed to promote tissue growth so that the fistula can heal from the inside out. I'm not sure if they use them on abdominal fistulas or not.

Hi Steph--

I am trying to convince my surgeon to let me do a plug, rather than get an ileostomy. Did you wind up having any success?

Sending you good vibes...

No it didn't work :(, the plug fell out right around thanksgiving. My surgeon just wants to leave it alone for now and see if Imuran or LDN will help to heal it. I have been at therapeutic levels of Imuran for about 4 months now and it has really slowed down the drainage but not completely yet. I started LDN a month ago and I am have my fingers crossed that it will help. My surgeon wants to do a flap LATER on if nothing works. I'd talk to another surgeon before I went with the ileostomy, there are a few different surgery's that are available out there to help close it. Have you tried to close it with medication yet?

theOcean

I've heard good things from people on this forum about getting it closed with Humira! Which I'm also on, but my seton isn't getting removed until later this month so I'll still have to see what my luck is.

No it didn't work :(, the plug fell out right around thanksgiving. My surgeon just wants to leave it alone for now and see if Imuran or LDN will help to heal it. I have been at therapeutic levels of Imuran for about 4 months now and it has really slowed down the drainage but not completely yet. I started LDN a month ago and I am have my fingers crossed that it will help. My surgeon wants to do a flap LATER on if nothing works. I'd talk to another surgeon before I went with the ileostomy, there are a few different surgery's that are available out there to help close it. Have you tried to close it with medication yet?
Sadly I've been on every biologic approved for Crohn's (and Stelara off label). I've moved on to Simponi, and am considering starting LDN. The day after my fistula got bad, I was also diagnosed with C.diff, so I'm trying to weather that storm with massive amounts of vancomycin, VSL#3 DS and a diet basically consisting of protein isolates and meat. lol. I can't take flagyl because it'll kill my hookworms. Hahah, yes, I also use worms. Sigh.

Hope you heal up and don't need that flap. This disease is such a bitch.

I've done the Humira and Remicade routs and flat out refused to go on a biologic again. Remicade worked and closed the internal opening of the fistula but then after stopping to try Humira (convenience) and trying to start again I had an antibody reaction. Humira did nothing for me except to cause me pain every other week. My Dr suggested Imuran and Hurmira together but I told him that would never happen. I don't care if I am a female and the chances are low, I have two young children and I want to be around as long as possible. I'm really hopeful of the LDN. My GI didn't seem too confident of it but my Surgeon seems to think it may work. so we'll see.

I'm entering week six I think. The only symptom that I have ever had was this fistula. The drainage seems to be slowing down but it deff has not stopped.