• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What foods do you miss?

I found out I have crohns this past January and boy had my diet changed. I used to exercise so I could enjoy certain foods without guilt and now I really miss them.

I miss cheeseburgers, French fries, super spicy buffalo wings, prime rib (my favorite)! I hope I'll be able to eat these agin someday.

What foods do you all miss?

Red meat in general! Even after my resection I cant tolerate red meat! This past weekend I thought I would try steak for the first time since the resection. Man did I pay for it. I was having flashback to the day I ended up in the hospital. My insides cramped beyond belief, it felt like an obstruction! After a couple of hours the pain subsided. I think I'll just stay away from it!

Bufford

I miss many of my favorites, big juicy steaks, large tossed salads, huge pizzas fully loaded, pop corn, big visits to Mc Donalds Cottage cheese and all the booze I used to enjoy. The list is too long and I don't want to burden anyone with a long post. But I think most of you get the idea, life is pretty bland when one lives with the scourge.

I miss a lot of Mexican food. I miss apples because since my resection I can't eat the skin off of foods. I miss salads because I can't eat raw vegetables. I miss green vegetables.

I have always been more into cheesy, creamy foods more than desserts. And i hugely miss italian and mexican foods. Lasagne, dominos, cheesy chips, tacos, quesadillas etc. Anything cheesy. I started thoroughly enjoying veggies (love a brussel sprout and tenderstem broccoli) so i also miss that. When its summer i do miss ice cream, but i can live with that. Cheese and milky products that i used to have (and actually taste and melt like cheese) is really soul destroying.
Anyone tried lactic supplements and eat forbidden foods easily? Anyone done so with strictures in TI?

I have always been more into cheesy, creamy foods more than desserts. And i hugely miss italian and mexican foods. Lasagne, dominos, cheesy chips, tacos, quesadillas etc. Anything cheesy. I started thoroughly enjoying veggies (love a brussel sprout and tenderstem broccoli) so i also miss that. When its summer i do miss ice cream, but i can live with that. Cheese and milky products that i used to have (and actually taste and melt like cheese) is really soul destroying.
Anyone tried lactic supplements and eat forbidden foods easily? Anyone done so with strictures in TI?
I eat dairy products made with almond milk or coconut milk.

emmaaaargh

Staff member
The first trigger I discovered (and the one I still miss the most) is tomatoes. They absolutely ruin me. I'd never been much of a pizza or pasta fan (I'm not a cheese eater) but I wish I could have some now! Tomato soup was always my comfort food, too. Now I don't really have a replacement, and most soup and chili and curry recipes include tomatoes - it's a real pain to find one that looks good that doesn't. Still, I live in hope that one day I'll be in remission and be able to enjoy a little bit of tomato-based food every so often.

The only things I can really eat and not have them bother me are scrambled eggs,chicken just not fried,Hamburg,Toast and one piece of cheese per day if I have no other dairy so that leaves a lot of other stuff I can't have.The 1st half of this year has been poor for me health wise(actually the last 2 decades have been) and I needed some yardwork done and my AC put in so I had some buddies do it and I offered to buy their food and boy these dudes can eat they had pizza,subs,buffalo wings,garlic bread,mozzarella sticks,ice cream and donuts.I usually avoid being around these types of foods seeing I can't eat them so this was overload.

cmack

Staff member
I used to eat everything in sight. I had the stomach of a goat. I miss prime rib steak, salami, pizza, chicken wings... you name it. I feel better now without it though.

Pizza, dairy, and eating food after 7pm are the biggest things that I miss. Also, barbecued ribs. On the flip side, I've discovered that Crohn's and I both really love Skippy's creamy peanut-butter!

Popcorn, Watermelon, peaches, oranges, apples, strawberies, mushrooms, cherries, grapes, Coffee OMG Coffee!!!!. Walnuts almonds pecans, Green vegies (I so miss a tuna letuce salad) Leeks, Spicy cabbage cooked with pork, broad beans, lentiles.

I live in a country where mediterranean died is our everyday diet and where fruits and veggies are cheap and accesible for everyone and I survive mostly on pasta rice potatoes meat fish and chicken

Ice cream! I don't crave it that often, but sometimes it looks sooo yummy. Tried a few spoonfuls a month or so ago...not good. :poo: