• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Asacol HD

I have been taking Asacol HD for awhile now. I am uninsured and was getting help from a patient savings card that limited the out of pocket expense to $50 a month. The company changed their patient savings card and now it only covers $50 of the price leaving a monthly Asacol bill of over $600. I have looked around on the internet for any other help and have not been able to find anything. My GI has helped me alot by giving me samples but I need to find something until I can get a job with health insurance. I am in the U.S. and ObamaCare does not help me. Any suggestions?

I have been taking Asacol HD for awhile now. I am uninsured and was getting help from a patient savings card that limited the out of pocket expense to $50 a month. The company changed their patient savings card and now it only covers $50 of the price leaving a monthly Asacol bill of over $600. I have looked around on the internet for any other help and have not been able to find anything. My GI has helped me alot by giving me samples but I need to find something until I can get a job with health insurance. I am in the U.S. and ObamaCare does not help me. Any suggestions?
Asacol HD is expensive. Luckily my insurance pays for most of it.

If you don't have a job or you are low income you can go down to your local social services office--you might be eligible for free health care through your state or health insurance at a lower rate. For example in NJ we have something called NJ Family Care. People who make less than $40,000 a year are eligible for it. You don't have to go through social services for it.

This is a link to the Virgina Health Care Foundation: http://www.vhcf.org/

I'm all about universal health care:)

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Try to get Medi-Cal or Medicaid if you can. Medi-Cal pays for everything and you apply through Social Security. Most get denied their first time applying but you need to appeal and appeal again if you don't get it the second time around. It takes a while but it pays for everything even if it can be a hassle sometimes. I used to take Asacol and it payed for that as well. Contact your local Social Security office. http://www.ssa.gov/

Ok, so I help my patients all the time w/ patient assistance programs.
Go on needymeds.com and you can look up any med by generic or brand name. It then brings up a page w/ application info and a pdf file of the actual application to fill out. Usually you have your PCP or GI doc write a 90 day prescription and sign it. Then they give it back to you and you attached the documents that require.
For most programs it takes about 3-4 weeks to hear back. I always tell patients to keep a copy of the application and the phone number to the program. Tip: if there is a missing piece of info, they will toss it w/o notifying you, so call every week to check the status to make sure they got it and have all the info. If the doc misses something they fax it to them for correction.
If you're in a bind and are out of meds, if you call them sometimes they will send an emergency supply of samples to hold you over until they process your app.
Hope this helps!!!

PS most RX discount cards don't work for patient's w/ Medicaid or Medicare....really frustrating!!