• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free Brownies

David

Co-Founder
If you have a sweet tooth like me, being unable to eat cane sugar can be hell. I’m also a chocolate whore so buying any manufactured chocolate is out since it all contains sugar and most contains dairy. I can’t count how many times I’ve craved brownies or something like that, so I finally decided to try and develop a palatable gluten and sugar free (and it’s also dairy free) brownie recipe. And let me tell you, the recipe below rocks!

Gluten Free Sugar Free Brownie Ingredients

1 cup of soft vegan butter (available at your local health food store)
1.5 cups of local, raw honey
1 cup of rice flour (sometimes I go half/half with another flour like mung bean flour so it's less gritty)
3 eggs which if you’re lazy like me, you don’t pre-beat
½ teaspoons of salt
1 cup of walnuts, your nut of choice, or just leave the nuts out
1 teaspoon of vanilla – make sure it is quality vanilla that doesn’t have corn syrup as an ingredient!
1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder – see if you can find organic

Brownie Preparation

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grab a nice big bowl, then break out your trusty fork on the butter until it’s nice and creamy (I often microwave it a little first). From there, simply add in the honey and mix mix mix. Then toss in your salt, vanilla, and eggs and mix mix mix. Toss in your cocoa powder and then your flour and finally your nuts. Make sure you mix it up real good. Finally, dish the batter out into a well greased pan that is around 9x13x2 and bake your brownies for 30-35 minutes. I think you’ll find these brownies taste great despite being sugar, gluten, and dairy free :)

Oh yum, I am totally drooling! Thanks for posting this. I'm a complete chocoholic and love cakes. Shopping is like running the gauntlet at the moment cos of all the Easter eggs. Arrrgh!

Ooooohhh!!! This sounds awesome! Cant wait to try. And it fits right into my gluten, sugar, and dairy free diet!! :)

I have a great gluten, sugar, dairy free recipe I love too!

:mademyday:Just made these. Oh my! I could tell from the taste and smell of the batter they were gonna be good. And the smell of them cooking. I made them with almond flour and chucked in a big tablespoon of peanut butter as well. So thank you, David. I am in chocolate lover heaven :biggrin:
N.B. Note to self - must not eat whole tinful in one go......

David

Co-Founder
I'm glad you're all enjoying them :) A quick tip: the day after these aren't quite as good since they're not straight out of the oven. I found that if you pop the brownie into the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute, you're back in business :)

Yea, somehow they taste better when warm. And I like mine a little gooey in the middle. Had warm ones with homemade yoghurt for pudding last night. Bliss!

These sound great, anyone have any similar recipes? (or links to - I am sure there will be some on here.)
I want to try to cut out white sugar and such from my diet, so thinking of baking my own treats once or twice a week to stop me from buying junk.