• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long do you sleep each day?

How long do you sleep?

• less than 6 hours, I'm a walking machine

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • 6-8 hours

Votes: 47 37.9%
  • 8-10 hours

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • 10-12 hours

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • more than 12 hours, I would marry my pillow if I could

Votes: 8 6.5%

• Total voters

SarahBear

I voted between eight to ten because that's how much I sleep most nights, but it's often a bit more on my days off. Sleeping twelve hours isn't abnormal for me. However, there have been times where I have typically slept between ten and thirteen hours every night.

Adding… Usually, if I sleep more than ten hours, I wake up feeling tired and unwell, and usually with a headache. Around eight hours is ideal. I don't wake up easily, but I feel much better.

Whether or not I'm flaring doesn't seem to have an effect on how much I sleep, though. The cycles seem to be somewhat random.

kiny

Is the poll geared to when you are in a flare or when things are going good?
Oh on average would be nice. all taken together. If this includes flares that's just fine, since it's regarding people with crohn's disease.

I voted 10-12 hours, it can be more but he is a teenager and even my non ibd daughter can sleep an inordinate number of hours. Hope him being pediatric doesn't skew your results.

Trysha

Staff member
4 - 5 hours
Prior to Remicade I woke about every 1-2hours with pain and sometimes fevers
Since Remicade which has been discontinued due to allergic reactions
there has been an improvement in that I now sleep continuously for 4-5 hours.
No longer wake for bathroom visits.
Pain usually wakens me and cannot return to sleep.
However I feel headed for remission at the moment.(with any luck!)

Days like today, I was married to my pillow, but on the average is 9 hours. I feel better with this amount each night.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I voted 8-10 for both of my kids but they would push the 10 to the limit more often than not. I think they are both like me...they love their bed! :lol:

Dusty. :)

PS kiny, I edited the poll so that two votes went in.

Nights I am in alot of pain from arthritis flares, it takes forever to fall asleep. Then once I do, I don't ever want to get up. Those are usually the mornings I have to get up because I have to go somewhere! Why is that? But, I sleep 8 -9 usually when I can.

I said 10-12 hours. I seem to need a lot of sleep. I can even take nap usually on top of that during the day. Not good really is it. lol

I love sleeping, but don't need to marry my pillow because I can lay down on a crowded sidewalk and sleep like a rock. I haven't slept in several days though because I volunteered to work round the clock so others could take the weekend off. I'm past the point of being tired, and am getting "punch drunk" to where I'm wobbley and all goofy instead. Which is kind of fun. Not going home until Monday and will catch up on sleep then.

I love sleeping, but don't need to marry my pillow because I can lay down on a crowded sidewalk and sleep like a rock. I haven't slept in several days though because I volunteered to work round the clock so others could take the weekend off. I'm past the point of being tired, and am getting "punch drunk" to where I'm wobbley and all goofy instead. Which is kind of fun. Not going home until Monday and will catch up on sleep then.
Well that is so sweet of you! I hope you are richly blessed for your kindness!:ghug:

more than 12 hours, I would marry my pillow if I could
Sleep is one of the most important things for me. Any less than eight or nine hours and I need daytime naps, less than about seven and I can't function the next day, can't even think straight until I get a nap.

I've wondered if I have narcolepsy. I've sleepwalked my whole life, and not just sleepwalking, but getting dressed, moving furniture around, waking up in the wardrobe, holding conversations with people, etc. etc. I regularly get up and use the bathroom (always get diarrhoea at night) without waking up - or so my family tells me! I also have night terrors and hallucinate when falling asleep or waking up.

And I can fall asleep absolutely anywhere, no matter how noisy it is or how light it is. The weirdest one was probably when I was having anal manometry - where they put various things into your back passage to test nerve function and other things. There's no anaesthetic or sedatives, as it's not painful, but it's uncomfortable and obviously you have people there poking tubes and things up your bum, so it's not exactly relaxing. But I managed to drift off to sleep. :eek2: The doctor carrying out the test wasn't used to people responding to her instructions to "try and relax" so well!

The only time I slept less was on prednisone. I was sleeping more like seven hours a night then - which for me is insomnia and felt so unnatural. I didn't feel sleepy during the day, but I felt more exhausted than ever, which probably doesn't make sense, but that's the only way I can describe it.

But I have enough diagnoses already, I can live without an official narcolepsy diagnosis. :)

Last edited:
Well that is so sweet of you! I hope you are richly blessed for your kindness!:ghug:
No, they all just think I'm nuts. I don't even really work here. I'm actually the owner's accountant, but she's short handed, I was bored, and hotels are fun. Tonight I turned off all the lobby lights and kept the wedding guests up all night telling ghost stories by candlelight about the haunted tunnels below the hotel. They finally went upstairs at 5 this morning and kept calling, trying to get me to join all of them in the bridal suite hot tub.

When I get home on Monday, I'll probably sleep for around 20 hours solid.

I sleep between 6-8 hours a night. I'm not a big sleeper. I usually go to bed between 10-11 and I am up by 5:30 no matter what. It's pretty rare I sleep longer then 7 hours a night.

On weekdays I aim for 7 hours, on weekends 8+. However, if we got very busy times it can go down to 5 or even less hours. It's amazing what the body can take even on a continuous basis, while not recently in the past I had times where I slept approximately 4-5 hours on average per night for weeks (but at least once on a weekend I slept probably 12 hours straight) and it worked.

Sleep is my nemesis.

I love sleep but have always had lots of trouble getting into a normal sleep pattern and tend to stay up for 20+ hours at a time fairly often so I'm constantly going to bed and getting up at different times. Very bad habit.

An obsessive personality and several years of night shifts really screwed me up. Working for myself has enabled rather than fixed the problem and I'm only just starting to try and normalize things the last few months.

Typing this at 1 am is slightly incriminating...

Goodnight.

My body wakes on its own after 7 hours. I try to get up then because it is so much more exhausting to try to get up after going back to sleep for an hour.

6-8 during the week, because i with my work schedule, i don't have much of choice. But my body definitely wants more most times, especially within the 2 weeks prior to my remicade infusion. On weekends, it can go up to 12 hours easily.

Nyx

I'm not a good sleeper. I usually fall asleep for about an hour, wake up, have to pee, spend another hour trying to get back to sleep, sleep for an hour or two, and wake again (I'm a very light sleeper). On average, I get about 2 -4 hours a night. It would be magical to get more than 2 hours in row. I've had this insomnia for about 3 years now.

I voted 6-8 hours but sometimes less because i wake up during the night every couple of hours due to having a really high temperature with a fever, feeling sick and getting pains in my stomach.

I also voted 8-10, but this is probably less sleep than my body would like. I take Provigil 400-600mgs to keep me going during the day, but even with that I'm dragging some days. On the weekends, I often take naps to try to catch up.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in needing so much sleep!!

Edit - I'm currently flaring, but the above was true even before I started having IBD issues.

When my crohn is active its less then 8 hours, after the remicade its 8-10 hours. I sleep less before remicade because of my crohn attacks.

Would love 8, but on average i sleep 6 hours due to my new job requiring me to be up an hour earlier every day. I take naps on both sat and sundays to try and catch up. But really i should find a way to get to sleep earlier. Generally feel exhausted until about 2hrs after i get up.

Anywhere from 3-12+ hours, on work nights I can sleep 3 or less hours (get up at 4:30am) and then end up crashing out on my days off and sleep for 12+. Less than ideal but it is what it is

I may not sleep 8-10 all at once, but find myself crashed out on the couch many days in the afternoon or evening. I never used to sleep more than 7 hours.

No matter how much I sleep it is never enough. Although sometimes the pain is so bad I cannot function or sleep or think about anything but the pain. But once that pain subsides I will sleep for almost 2 days straight.

It is very hard to explain this sleep pattern to someone who does not understand Crohn's disease.

Maybe 6-8 hours. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep, other times I wake up after 6 hours (at 4am!) and kinda doze until I get up. I have a really hard time waking up, but once I'm up and about I'm usually good.

Less than seven and I have a hard time functioning plus quite grumpy. Mine is broken though. Wake up every couple of hours or if really unlucky every half hour. Also have a lot of bother dropping off in the first place.