• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Yogurt

F

fgillette1986

Who makes their own yogurt? My doc recommended making my own... but I was wondering if any of you had your own recipes! (0:

Oh man Alton is amazing. Everyone should watch his shows. Thay are not only entertaining but they actually teach you stuff you could use in a real kitchen.

No doubt. His braised babyback ribs are amazing! I modified his basic recipe, but they are the best ribs I've had hands down. And I don't make turkey anymore without brining it first after I tried it after watching his turkey episode.

Check this link from the SCD diet. It's supposed to be for Lactose free yoghurt and especially for IBD. 'm not on SCD and I don't do my own yoghurt. But here in Lebanon we have traditional yoghurt sold in supermarkets. I think you can check at health food stores in the US for such kinds of yoghurt or Kefir

http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/scdyogurt.html

C

carolinajak

I eat a lot of Activia. I tried organic yogurt a couple times and just hated it. I know Activia and other yogurts have a lot of sugar added that can't be good, but its one of my few cheats and I think the probiotics help even it all out. Could be wrong, but that's my amateur spin.

Hi Jak. I also eat Activia in addition to normal traditional yoghurt. But you can find Activia natural, which has no sugar in it. I don't know if this is available in US. In Lebanon we have Activia imported from France.

M

Moonlightmile21

First post here, yea!

Yes yogurt... I love the stuff. Its teaming with good bacteria that help keep the bad bugs under control. I make my own by heating milk to ~175 F, letting it cool to around 110F and then adding the starter. I use the Yogurmet starter available at health food stores. One trick that needs to be done is that the starter must be dissolved in a little bit of the milk and then stirred in. It can't just be dumped into the milk.

I've got a couple of the R2-D2 looking Salton yogurt makers that you can find on Amazon. They work great and have never given me any trouble.

Matt

C

carolinajak

thanks for the tip mazen, i will definately see if i can find that around here. it will be at least six weeks though as i go on my liquid elemental diet this monday.

have you tasted both kinds, with and without the sugar? whats the taste difference? i have slowly but surely gotten almost all the sugar out of my diet. this is one of the last culprits. that and peanut butter. i can't stand natural peanut butter, but love normal GIF. Need to find a replacement that I can stomach the taste of. hopefully it will be easier to adapt to some of these new tastes after not having any solid food for over a month.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Anyone here ever heard of Viili? I think that is how it is spelled - I have had it in Finland - and my Mom made it for a while until the culture ran out (years ago!)......

Similar to yogurt, but 'stickier' - kind of like goop.....lol.....

Eating yogurt makes me feel good everyday. It makes our colon become healthy because it can fight against colon cancer. It was a good source of calcium a mineral that contributes to colon health and decreases the risk of colon cancer.

Last edited:
I make yogurt and I swear by it

I'd definitely recommend making yogurt.

I've been doing the SCD diet (trying googling this term) for over 4 years now (May 6, 2010) and will be off my meds (6MP, Asacol, Prednisone) for nearly 4 years (July 1, 2010). Brewing yogurt at home is an important part of the diet. I currently have a batch of yogurt brewing right now.

I following the SCD guidelines and brew my yogurt for 24 hours (this allows the pro-biotic bacteria to digest the lactose in the milk). You'll find that home brewed yogurt has significantly higher levels of pro-biotic organisms than store bought yogurt.

When you're not in a flare, try eating 8 oz of yogurt a day for 10 days. You'll be incredibly surprised at the results and how you feel. At the risk of sounding crass, your bathroom experiences will improve dramatically.

I think it has to do with the 'good bacteria' crowding out the 'bad' bacterial in your small intestine. These bad bacteria may be responsible for the immunogenic response (aka inflammation in your gut), or so the theory goes.

All I can tell you is that since this has been a positive experience for me, I travel with my yogurt maker when visiting family out of town. I've recommend family who have sensitive guts (non-Crohns sufferers) and they too have enjoyed positive results.

What do I use:

* Yogurt maker: try checking out Amazon. (I make so much yogurt, that I'm on my second maker. Amazon has a model that is super handy because it can make nearly 2 liters in one batch).

If you can't afford a yogurt maker, visit the SCD website listed above. They give examples of makeshift yogurt makers using household items. (My brother cooked a batch by placing a glass jar on his DSL digital modem. I don't recommend this approach, though. I did, however, wanted to illustrate that it can be done without spending money).

* Yogurt starter: Trader Joe's Greek style yogurt. You're welcome to try anything you like but you've got to get pure yogurt variety. Avoid yogurt with milk fillers (it'll say 'milk fillers' right on the label), sugar, pectim, gum, starch etc. Whatever you get, the label should read 'milk, bacteria'. That's about it.

You may think be saying to yourself... what about 'Activa' or other store bought brands? Those have probiotics in them as well. Yes, they do, but not containing the same high concentrations of probiotics as home brewed. Typically processed yogurt is fermented only 4 to 8 hours. My home brewed is cooked 4X longer. Think how much more time it gives the bacterial to consume the sugar in milk and reproduce.

What to eat with yogurt?

Honey and golden raisins are my personal favorite. Fresh fruit like strawberries, blue berries etc. are nice too.

Will you have the same positive response? Honestly, noone really knows. All of these shared experiences are ancedotal, but it's worth a try.

For those that make their own yogurt, what brand yogurt maker did you buy?? this is all new to me, but trying to start this SCD diet and the home yogurt-making is a bit intimidating =)

See now i feel a tad dumb as i didnt know you could make your own yoghurt lol , something i am defo going to look into as i love the stuff but some days it dosent like me :eek:

I'd definitely recommend making yogurt.

I've been doing the SCD diet (trying googling this term) for over 4 years now (May 6, 2010) and will be off my meds (6MP, Asacol, Prednisone) for nearly 4 years (July 1, 2010). Brewing yogurt at home is an important part of the diet. I currently have a batch of yogurt brewing right now.
Joe,

Very encouraging! I am considering going on the SCD diet myself. I would also like to know what yogurt maker you use.

Alton is also my hero. Here is the episode on yogart. Part one and two.

copy and paste
youtube.com/watch?v=9PqQtdtcJtE

youtube.com/watch?v=JQqyBF4Z8WM&feature=related[/url]

James

You do not have to have a yogurt maker, I make mine in an electric frying pan with a thermostat control.
I pour the milk into a couple of containers throw a thermometer in one, close the lid and let it do it's thing. Actually very easy.

Hey Lydia, I'm interested in knowing how the crock pot works for you.
What are you using as your starter?

On the weekend I used VSL #3 as a starter for the first time and it worked so well. I've also used align as a starter, but it didn't work as well for me, I started making yogurt by using a store bought freeze dried culture and I've branched out since then.

Good luck with yours.

Who makes their own yogurt? My doc recommended making my own... but I was wondering if any of you had your own recipes! (0:
I've made my own countless times.

Get yourself a yogurt maker, boil some milk, use a scoop of yogurt from the last batch or whatever culture you want to use from store bought, and follow the instructions on the yogurt maker.

The yogurt maker is just a heater that keeps a container at the temperature the bactiera thrive on to reproduce to make you yogurt.

Temperatures are important in making yogurt and when adding the culture. You definitely want to boil the milk first for a while to kill everything in it so you have a sterile culture for the bacteria to live off. And you want to make sure it's not too hot when you add the culture to your milk or you'll kill the bacteria.