• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fleshy, bloody stool when wiping

Hi everyone, im really worried and am going to the doctors first thing in the morning, earlier on i had diareah and as i went to wipe i had this huge black slug like lump come out of my backside, there was some blood on it but it looks like it was fleshy, i have put it in a container to show the doctor tomorrow but it smells like its rotting something, i really dont no what this is and as ive been feeling really crap and ill and more pain for the last 2 days im really worried, has anyone else have this?

Hey,

It's difficult to say without seeing what it could be matey. You have done exactly the correct thing in saving it for the doctor though well done for the initiative! Im sure your doctor will be very impressed with that. Does it look like black tar like at all? The reason I ask is because it could be blood coming from higher up. That stuff does really smell but its not disgusting and it is really important that you show your doctor. It will realy help with your diagnosis. x x x

Hi everyone, im really worried and am going to the doctors first thing in the morning, earlier on i had diareah and as i went to wipe i had this huge black slug like lump come out of my backside, there was some blood on it but it looks like it was fleshy, i have put it in a container to show the doctor tomorrow but it smells like its rotting something, i really dont no what this is and as ive been feeling really crap and ill and more pain for the last 2 days im really worried, has anyone else have this????? please people
Good idea, I would suggest refrigerating it until your appointment.

smart by keeping it. Wonder if it is a blood clot?....hmm... I agree with David, put it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.. let us know....
take care

hi barbie do you have an msn adress or something that i could show you as i cant put the file up on here and im sitting here really worrying

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi porter,

It may be what barbie is suggesting, what is referred to as malaena. And yeah old blood really does stink. Good on you for having the foresight to keep it!

Thanks for your input everyone i will have to see what the doctor says, just a shock when it fell out and obviously ive never seen it before

I have had that before when I first got diagnosed.Its a bunch of old blood that has gathered along with stool.Mine ended up having a parasite in it.Don't remember what they called it.Thankfully I was in the hosiptal when it happened.I was only 12 and freaking out.But yeah keep us informed it may be something different for you.

Regular Joe

Mighty strange specimen my friend. Keep it sealed. Hope you get it into the GI for analysis.

People with Crohn's Disease a peculiar bunch?... who else could get away with posting the photo, then having as many views in one night?

Seriously Porter, I hope you stay well and this is just a passing thing.

Well where do i start, i am at my friends house in plymouth uk at the moment and i live in london so a bit away, anyway i went to the emergency walk in centre and saw GP that wasnt even intrested in looking at the sample, she just said that what i described was a old black blot clot, she called the hospital up here they basically said it was crohns and they just didnt want to no! They said unless i had fresh bright blood coming from my rectum then to go but the gp felt my tummy and said i had rebounding of the abdomen and my temp was quite high, i now have to wait until i get home to london on monday to go see my original gp or go up the hospital, if it gets worse to go to the hospital here, so much for help really thery can diagnose me like that yet my hospital cant even give me f.a

Well where do i start, i am at my friends house in plymouth uk at the moment and i live in london so a bit away, anyway i went to the emergency walk in centre and saw GP that wasnt even intrested in looking at the sample, she just said that what i described was a old black blot clot, she called the hospital up here they basically said it was crohns and they just didnt want to no! They said unless i had fresh bright blood coming from my rectum then to go but the gp felt my tummy and said i had rebounding of the abdomen and my temp was quite high, i now have to wait until i get home to london on monday to go see my original gp or go up the hospital, if it gets worse to go to the hospital here, so much for help really thery can diagnose me like that yet my hospital cant even give me f.a
I'd go to a&e if I were you. The doctor has said that you need to be seen. Make sure they know that.

Porter......im so sorry I had logged off and didn't see your second post. How are you feeling now? I cant believe they were not interested in your sample! That's terrible..... they could have least given you some credit for doing the extremely sensible thing and keeping it. I'm so sorry they didn't seem to be bothered. I really hope you have taken the advice as above and got some further assessment especially if you have a raised temperature and I really hope your experience wont prevent you from seeking further assessment. I really do hope your ok.

lots of luv x

DustyKat

Super Moderator
That's crap porter the way they blew you off. Fresh bright blood only means the problem is much lower down in your bowel. Bad luck for all of those with a problem higher up! With the rebound pain and temperature it might be an idea to head off to the hospital. Hang in there and let us know how things go.

Lots of luck and best wishes, Dusty.

Rebound pain and a temp could mean a big flare. The hospital would look pretty good to me right now, if for nothing else but the fluids and rest.

Whatever you do, don't drop that specimin jar! Okay, that was a bad joke, but really, they should have taken that more seriously. I agree with the others that it looks like old blood with mucous and stool. And those clots are uncomfortable to pass.

Of course, the hypochondriacs are probably always bringing in funny looking poo for the ER doctors to look at. That may make the docs feel a little jaded, maybe?? (okay, I have a hypo friend, and SHE would bring poo in. LOL!!) But, still, not really an excuse. Blood in stool is serious stuff.

Astra

One important internal process that can change the color of stool is bleeding into the intestines. The stool may turn black because of chemical changes to the hemoglobin in blood caused, in part, by the action of intestinal enzymes, particularly if bleeding is more rapid and there is a large amount of hemoglobin within the intestines. A color change to black also is more likely if the bleeding occurs in the upper intestine since there is more time for the chemical changes to the hemoglobin to take place as the blood travels through the intestines.

Stool that is black due to bleeding is also "sticky" (tarry) and smells bad. These latter characteristics help distinguish black stools due to internal bleeding from black stools due to the ingestion of iron or bismuth-containing medicines, for example, bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol).

Hi Amy
sorry I've missed this thread, hope you're ok hun?
I've found this above which explains the colour and smell of your tarry poo
I'll try to catch you tommoro on Facebook, take care
Joan xxx

ameslouise

It's just really degrading when docs blow off a patient, especially one that is well informed and insightful enough to save a sample!

I agree with Joan - the darker the blood, the higher up it is coming from and a foul smell is not a good indicator. Shame on that doc - you shoud have been admitted for testing right away.

Good luck - take care - please stop back and let us know how you are doing - Amy

Hey everyone, went to the doctors today, who had requested some blood work she did a back passage examination and said there was no bleeding on her finger but with ibd the bleeding comes and goes??? She said most probably my GI would not be able to bring my endoscopy foward from the 8th july which is 2 weeks 2 days now as it is quite near but if the bleeding comes back again and i have the abdomen pain get worse, increased frequency of diareah or more sickness that i cant keep down go straight to a&e so im stuck waiting for this stupid test grrrrrrrrr, the funniest thing is before when i saw her she was going on about all the tests were coming back normal so i shouldnt worry and yet it took me to go through so much pain and bring in this sample for her to go oh and say well maybe it is crohns or uc. Fucks me off BIG TIME