• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A little nervous I might be flaring and need to vent about it

Hi guys, I know I haven't been around alot but life's been so hectic. I hope it's okay if I just vent a little here since I don't want to worry my family by talking about this, since I'm not really sure how I'm feeling.

Anyway, I went to Italy for almost a month (which was AMAZING) but did not take Humira for that time since it was nearly impossible to work out and my GI told me it would be okay to just take it first thing when I get home and resume the normal schedule. The only thing is that since the last week or so of the trip, I've been having regular non-remission type D and pain after eating. Also I've been getting severe leg cramps in the middle of the night, which is something that always happens when I'm flaring. All my BMs are liquid now and I see my appetite dropping. I've been home about a week now, and did take my shot first thing but I'm feeling kind of worried. I really do NOT want to be sick right now, I have my PCAT in three weeks, a bio class for the next month, and then a hellish fall term.

I doubt the stress is helping. Anyway, I'll be seeing my GI on Thursday for my regular summer checkup and to schedule my yearly scope. I really just want to be reassured that I'm doing okay. I seem to get sick every summer :frown:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've never had any issues with traveling. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Plus that site had some poor grammar and poor information about Crohn's in general.

Since you missed your Hurmira its likely that starting it again may help but will probably be a slow start (almost like starting it all over again but probably not as long). Do you remember how long it took to kick in the first time you took it? I'd let your GI know about these symptoms anyway (at least when you see them) so they aren't completely in the dark about how you're doing.

Let us know how your appointment goes. :)

PsychoJane

Hopefully this is only temporary,
It is likely that it's caused by the Humira pause and I suppose it should be working again soon. Maybe it will take a bit of time as Crabby said to start acting properly again. It is a possibility that your GI will be suggesting you to take it weekly for a few months (my GI was talking about 3 months for me when I started having trouble again). I think it is a chance you are seeing your GI next week, he will be able to catch the situation early if anything is serious behind this. That's a plus! Try not to worry too much until then, stress is not our greatest friend!

I'll keep my finger crossed!

Thanks so much for the reassurance Crabby, hawkeye, and Jane. I hope it is just the Humira pause. I know it's not food or altitude related, just feels like some Crohn's. I'm having the same symptoms, and when I went back to work someone commented that it looks like I lost weight on my trip (I was eating pasta and cheese 3 meals a day for a month!). I'm glad this appointment was scheduled a while back, it will be reassuring to see my doctor.
Thanks for the well wishes guys. And hawkeye, yes the bomb threats did stop, but the FBI is still investigating, since they do not drop investigation of terrorism. The whole ordeal has it's own wiki page now!

I agree with everyone here, it is probably might be because of temporarily stopping the Humira, but it's good if you'll be seeing your GI again; they'll tell you what to do. Meanwhile just try to take your meds again and relax-you need all your energy to kill that PCAT and your classes! Good luck!

I live at 9400 ft with cd-i haven't noticed anything specific.
I am also skepticle about the altitude but think there is a strong correlation between flight and crohn's flares.

The suspects to me would be:
1 - stress related to flight / travel
2 - food / diet - many people have alcohol before or during flight to relax / sleep

Also - It is often hard to pass gas or use the lavatory discretely on some flights, resulting in long periods of holding it in.

Last edited:
It wasn't the altitude or the travel or any of that. My GI told me that exactly what Crabby said, I need to build Humira back up in my system. The plan is: take Entocort til all this stress is over/I start feeling better again, wait for results of bloodwork, and if my inflammation is up, do a colonoscopy, and then decide if I should do Humira weekly.

I'm relieved to have seen him. I am also happy about the Entocort cause I respond to it really well, and it should help. Now I just have to get all the blood results in. They called and said that I'm gonna need iron infusions which I hate, but didn't say anything about the inflammation markers. They probably haven't gotten the results back yet on those. I'm anxious to see, and honestly hope I can get a colonoscopy. I find them very reassuring :lol:. I like getting evidence!

UGH so my insurance reset on July 1, meaning my family now has to pay $1500 out of pocket on drugs before anything is covered. therefore, a 100 capsule bottle of Budesonide is gonna cost $1300 out of pocket. Pro: after this, the deductible is pretty much met and most drugs are $10 til next July. Con: nobody has $1300. Therefore, I'm not gonna fill it :( I was so looking forward to it... my tummy still hurts. WHY did I forget about this whole insurance thing and not get it filled a week ago?!

ugh. And I'm not getting those Iron infusions anytime soon either because I have the PCAT and school stuff to deal with for the next month and those infusions take up a whole day for me. I just don't have time. I'm either at work, in a 4 hour long class, or studying my face off.

Sorry, this thread is now my own personal pity party. That entocort would be really nice to have right now.

rygon

Are you taking iron tablets at all? they may help (or cause constipation, sure one of the 2 will happen). Also high iron foods like spniach, kale, dried herbs (check this link http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php)

When will your insurance be ready? is there a cheaper option you could take now to help (thinking pred or even predfoam?).

Im rubbish at remembering to fill out forms as well so dont feel too bad (can you add it to your phone calender so you remember next time?)

Glad you had a greta time in Italy. where did you go and what did you get up to?

Short update on my life... I'm posting just for the sake of posting. :tongue:

Good things:
I moved into my apartment.
Got in the 89th percentile on my PCAT.
My Pharmacy application will be ready to go within the next week or so!

Bad things:
Had to wait like a month for a prior authorization for my new insurance to pay for Humira. When it went through it was, of course, $1,500. I felt like a terrible person making my parents pay that.
School starts in a few days.
I am feeling sick again. For sure. :poo:

hawkeye

Staff member
89th percentile, that's pretty good - How many pharmacy schools are you applying to, and when do thay make their decision?

Too bad you are starting to feel sick...try to get rested up before school. By the way - as a parent I would do without so my little guy could have something.