Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Vitamin C supplements that don't cause diarrhea?

10-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Vitamin C supplements that don't cause diarrhea?

I pretty much can't currently consume much of anything that naturally contains Vitamin C but ascorbic acid supplements give me diarrhea.

Suggestions?
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
10-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
NuttyGuts

My Support Groups:
Hey, Instant Coffee, I took a couple Airborne chewable tabs the other day because I felt a little sniffly. The sniffles went away but I had terrible urgent diarrhea the rest of the day- do you think it's the Vitamin C? I hadn't connected that. Have you tried rose hips tea?
10-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
D Bergy

I pretty much can't currently consume much of anything that naturally contains Vitamin C but ascorbic acid supplements give me diarrhea.

Suggestions?
Try liposomal vitamin C. It is more easily absorbed.

Dan
10-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Hey, Instant Coffee, I took a couple Airborne chewable tabs the other day because I felt a little sniffly. The sniffles went away but I had terrible urgent diarrhea the rest of the day- do you think it's the Vitamin C? I hadn't connected that. Have you tried rose hips tea?
It was likely the vitamin C, but airborne also contains maltodextrin, sorbitol, mineral oil, and sucralose, all of which are potential crohn's triggers.

most teas don't sit well with me either .

Try liposomal vitamin C. It is more easily absorbed.

Dan
I will look into this.
10-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
SN8888

My Support Groups:
I sometimes buy one of those SOBE type of beverages (I look at the label for one with a lot of Vitamin C)...then just take a sip every once in a while and find out how much you can tolerate at one time. With Vitamin C tablets, you can't really take a little at a time.
10-18-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
NuttyGuts

My Support Groups:
Great idea, SN8888! I discovered another diarrhea trigger the other day-I tried one of the new Ensure Max drinks- they have 30g of protein and only 1g of sugar. Tasted great- I had the Cafe Mocha flavor. For the next five hours, I suffered constant diarrhea before figuring out that the Ensure also had 100mg of caffeine in it! Agh! I often learn at the school of hard knocks...

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Vitamin C supplements that don't cause diarrhea?