Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Study shows high dose vitamin d achieves remission.

10-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
wildbill_52280

Study shows high dose vitamin d achieves remission in Crohn's.

This is from 2013, but it's pretty useful information. The dose needed for most crohn's patients was 5000iu per day. The goal was to achieve 40-60ng serum levels and see what happens, almost all of them achieved remission.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3636524/

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 10-10-2018 at 12:26 PM.
10-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

Thats interesting indeed. I did try it in the past and kept track of vit D levels, but it did not help me maintain my remission unfortutely.

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA (pill, rectal), cortifoam, Imuran, Purinethol, methotrexate.
10-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Scipio

My Support Groups:
One important point about this study is that the vitamin D was given in addition to the patients' routine IBD medication - such as anti-TNF biologics, azathioprine, 6MP, or mesalamine. In other words, vitamin D did not induce remission in these patients all by itself but was used in conjunction with other IBD medications.
10-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
wildbill_52280

One important point about this study is that the vitamin D was given in addition to the patients' routine IBD medication - such as anti-TNF biologics, azathioprine, 6MP, or mesalamine. In other words, vitamin D did not induce remission in these patients all by itself but was used in conjunction with other IBD medications.

I was just about to address this. They were on med's AND their CDAI was between 150-400 before starting vit d. remission was defined as a CDAI score below 150. So adding vitamin d with meds helped them gain remission. I would never want to lead someone to believe vitamin d alone can take care of every Crohn's symptom, very unlikely.

Direct quote from the study:
Patients with confirmed Crohn's disease between the ages of 1870 and of either gender were recruited into the study. Inclusion criteria required patients to have CDAI scores between 150 and 400 and serum levels of 25(OH)D3 below 40 ng/ml. Patients were allowed to continue maintenance IBD medications and multivitamins.
10-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
tots

My Support Groups:
Started with Vit D at 18, Dr accidentally gave me 50,000 a day. Level
Went up to 110, never felt better. Then realized his mistake and brought it back down. Funny the Pharm and I called on it more than once and his office said I thats right !

I need a new Dr

Tots

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Study shows high dose vitamin d achieves remission.