• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Study shows high dose vitamin d achieves remission.

Scipio

One important point about this study is that the vitamin D was given in addition to the patients' routine IBD medication - such as anti-TNF biologics, azathioprine, 6MP, or mesalamine. In other words, vitamin D did not induce remission in these patients all by itself but was used in conjunction with other IBD medications.

One important point about this study is that the vitamin D was given in addition to the patients' routine IBD medication - such as anti-TNF biologics, azathioprine, 6MP, or mesalamine. In other words, vitamin D did not induce remission in these patients all by itself but was used in conjunction with other IBD medications.

I was just about to address this. They were on med's AND their CDAI was between 150-400 before starting vit d. remission was defined as a CDAI score below 150. So adding vitamin d with meds helped them gain remission. I would never want to lead someone to believe vitamin d alone can take care of every Crohn's symptom, very unlikely.

Direct quote from the study:
Patients with confirmed Crohn's disease between the ages of 18–70 and of either gender were recruited into the study. Inclusion criteria required patients to have CDAI scores between 150 and 400 and serum levels of 25(OH)D3 below 40 ng/ml. Patients were allowed to continue maintenance IBD medications and multivitamins.

Started with Vit D at 18, Dr accidentally gave me 50,000 a day. Level
Went up to 110, never felt better. Then realized his mistake and brought it back down. Funny the Pharm and I called on it more than once and his office said I thats right !

I need a new Dr

Tots