Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Bodybuilding protein powder, anyone use it?

10-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
danpearson87

bodybuilding protein powder, anyone use it?

does anyone use bodybuilding protein powder i have tried a few different types but they have not agreed with me i know there are so many different types and brands so just wondering if anyone has had any luck finding one that they can tolerate?
10-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

One member here that I can think of that uses it is bobby.parker. Here is one of his threads..............

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...uilding+powder

Maybe you could PM him for more information.

Dusty.
10-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
BWS1982

Isopure Whey. It specializes in sensitive GI tracts (chiefly, lactose intolerance). It's whey protein isolate.

Rice protein, egg albumin and casein are all other options if you haven't tried them. Men should avoid soy, they interfere with hormonal mechanisms.

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4
10-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
danpearson87

thank for the replies
10-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Ahumado

Protein Drinks give me the blatz
10-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
Velodrome-A-Go-Go

I do power lifting to support my bike racing. My husband and I both take soy protein powder, and actually like Whole Food's brand the best. I don't like pea protein. It's gross.

BWS1982: It's kind of a myth that soy is bad for men. The thing is that soy has a compound that is classified as an estrogen. But the compound found in soy is tissue specific. Human men don't have the right tissue for the compounds to interact with. This is a simplification, but just because pollen contains two sperm cells, it doesn't mean it can impregnate a female animal. There are warnings, however, about consuming too much soy, so it should be taken a balanced part of your diet, combined with other protein sources. I use soy, beans, and wheat gluten, and have bulked up pretty successfully. If you have any studies that show that soy is bad for men, I'd be really interested to read them. We've studied this fairly thoroughly and haven't found anything yet, but you may know something I don't know. Or you could just be repeating things you've heard...
10-19-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
BWS1982

Phytoestrogens, yes.

I wouldn't go the myth route with it, personally, but that's from my own exposure/intake of info. There is literature on both sides of the fence purporting or debunking either side. Some studies/abstracts/links are on this site, others were published in either Muscle & Fitness or Men's Health, it's kind of a culmination as to where I get my stance. I limit my soy as much as possible. There is a good bit of evidence that touches a bit further than anecdotal data, it was discussed here a while back too, with some links. If I get time, I'll search some of them out. There's no way I'm ever going to ingest more than I have to. Ensure Plus added it instead of WPC, so I stopped buying them, for example.

One of the earliest pieces of info I found a few years ago, not the first or the last, but one of the most alarming: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...poison_protein

Last edited by BWS1982; 10-19-2010 at 02:14 AM.
10-19-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Manimation

I used cytogainer. Never gave me a problem. Also have been drinking those boost+protein drinks too and they seem to agree with me.
10-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
danpearson87

thanks for all the replies i am defo going to have a good look online and see what there is available
10-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
DMS

My son uses Absorb Plus, it is a whey protein isolate and even though he has issues with other dairy he can tolerate this one,
http://www.imixnaturals.com/

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Bodybuilding protein powder, anyone use it?