• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Risk of Cancer in Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Diseases:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
A Nationwide Population-based Cohort Study With 30 Years of Follow-up Evaluation (Abstract Only):

Background & Aims
Data regarding the risk of gastrointestinal and extraintestinal cancers in Crohn’s disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC) are needed to understand the clinical course of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBDs) and their treatments.

Methods
We performed a nationwide historical cohort study using Danish health care databases. We identified patients with a diagnosis of CD or UC, recorded from 1978 through 2010, and followed them up until the first occurrence of cancer, death, or emigration. We used standardized incidence ratios (SIRs) to compare cancer incidence in CD and UC patients with that expected in the general population.

Results
Excluding cancers diagnosed within 1 year of IBD diagnosis, 772 cases of invasive cancer occurred among 13,756 patients with CD (SIR, 1.3; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.2–1.4) and 2331 occurred among 35,152 patients with UC (SIR, 1.1; 95% CI, 1.0–1.1). CD was associated weakly with gastrointestinal cancers (SIR, 1.2; 95% CI, 1.0–1.4) and extraintestinal cancers (SIR, 1.3; 95% CI, 1.2–1.4), with the strongest associations for hematologic malignancies (SIR, 1.9; 95% CI, 1.5–2.3), smoking-related cancers (SIR, 1.5; 95% CI, 1.3–1.8), and melanoma (SIR, 1.4; 95% CI, 1.0–1.9). Associations between UC and gastrointestinal and extraintestinal cancers were weaker (SIR, 1.1; 95% CI, 1.0–1.2; and SIR, 1.1; 95% CI, 1.0–1.1, respectively). The relative risk of extraintestinal cancers among patients with IBD was relatively stable over time, although the risk of gastrointestinal cancers decreased.

Conclusions
Patients with IBD, particularly CD, are at increased risk for gastrointestinal and extraintestinal malignancies. The relative risk of gastrointestinal malignancy has decreased since 1978, without a concomitant increase in the risk of nongastrointestinal malignancy.

http://www.cghjournal.org/article/S1542-3565(13)00484-9/abstract
10373523_513986265394922_9156776255094461315_n.jpg

nogutsnoglory

Greeeeeeat! I was just talking today about my body hating me and what other surprises it may have in store. God I hope not. Unhappy study but thanks for sharing.

I suppose that's one advantage of no longer having either a colon or a rectum! :rolleyes:

My mother died of colon cancer.

Can someone help me with this?

772 cancers in 13756 CD patients. By my calculator that's approximately 6%. The SIR is a measure of how much more likely a population is to get something relative to another population. So, SIR of 1.3 of cancer generally with the rest of the population is fairly low, isn't it?

So, what's that scary graph at the bottom? Anyone expert in medical stats?

I’m curious;
My doctor said “CD will not lead to cancer” ??? “They are not related” ???
I have always thought that maybe CD leads into cancer.
Looking at the numbers above it looks like 772 represents 0.56% of 13,756 patients. Do I understand correctly?
This means it can lead into cancer. Or are they not related????

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Can someone help me with this?

772 cancers in 13756 CD patients. By my calculator that's approximately 6%. The SIR is a measure of how much more likely a population is to get something relative to another population. So, SIR of 1.3 of cancer generally with the rest of the population is fairly low, isn't it?

So, what's that scary graph at the bottom? Anyone expert in medical stats?
Not here. :( I’m a mathophobe. :eek2:

@Joetpgn: IBD does lead to increased risk of bowel cancer and more so if there is large bowel involvement. It relates to the fact that you have an inflammatory disease and therefore the more episodes of inflammation and the length of time that inflammation is present and either not controlled or under controlled leads to a greater risk of dysplasia’s (mutations) taking place. That is why regular monitoring (scopes) is so important even when in remission and/or you have no overt symptoms of your disease.

Dusty. xxx

I've read a number of sources saying that CD reduces lifespan by 2-3 years. This statistic doesn't exactly support a huge increase of cancer amongst people with CD, does it? Especially not if the cancer doesn't occur in the later years of life.