• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Caprylic acid or vit D3

Has anyone tried vitamin D3 and/or Caprylic acid for Crohn's?

Caprylic is supposed to kill excess yeast overgrowth in the intestine.

I already take 50 mg of azathyoprine a day.

DJW

Forum Monitor
My doctor did blood work and prescribed me 3000 iu of D per day. I started at 4000 iu

After a low test, my Dr. prescribed 50,000 IU once a week for 12 weeks.

Now I take 2000 IU a day, was taking 600.

Definitely take at least 2000IU vitamin D. there is one study showing 5000iu reduced CDAI by 100 points and that's alot. So I would say somewhere between that dosage. it boosts antimicrobial enzymes in the gut.

Caprylic never really helped my crohn's but in late 2013 after using a sugar heavy diet to gain weight I developed inflammed abscesses in both arm pits I believe linked to crohn's through hydradenitis.

I went on a no sugar, no dairy diet and took 3000mg of vitamin c daily and undecylenic acid which is similar to caprylic acid for 2 months and my crohn's improved a lot and my abscesses went away.

I am taking it for the yeast/candida issue. Sometimes helps especially if I DO NOT take it everyday twice a day