• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Burning colon?

Just a random question to you guys, I have Crohn's but it seems to have spread to the colon already, left side (descendens). Cortiment was effective but symptoms returned and I mainly have d and a burning pain in the left side, in the whole left colon I would say (normally burning pain in the terminal ileum, where my disease started).
Do you have burning pain in a very specific area (small line from rip cage to lower abdomen) with ulcerative colitis or is it more general pain?

I have Crohn's and I do get pain sometimes on my right side. If I get any burning pain, it is around my belly button. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you ronrush, I would be particularly interested in the "kind" of pain of those with ulcerative colitis, so please, feel free to share your "kind" of pain!

Again , I have Crohn's. A lot of times , it is a sharp pain.
I know you have Crohn's, ronrush, but there is a difference between Crohn's and ulcerative colitis, it's two different diseases. I'm asking for ulcerative colitis (even though I myself have Crohn's like you).

Why wouldnt attribute the pain to CD disease progression since CD and UC together is relatively rare? My son had that type of pain early on after dx even though his initial disease location was the terminal ileum. The disease has no spread from his anastomosis site (ic valve removal ie ileocecectomy though he's been asymptomatic for quite some time.

I'll tag scottsma as he may be able to help you as he has UC I think.

Why wouldnt attribute the pain to CD disease progression since CD and UC together is relatively rare? My son had that type of pain early on after dx even though his initial disease location was the terminal ileum. The disease has no spread from his anastomosis site (ic valve removal ie ileocecectomy though he's been asymptomatic for quite some time.

I'll tag scottsma as he may be able to help you as he has UC I think.
Thank you Clash! I don't think that I have UC, I'm just curious. I've got a friend who has colitis but she does not have that burning pain in the colon. I just wanted to know whether there is someone with UC who has this burning as well or if that might be something that is more Crohn's specific.

@Ronrush: No worries at all, I'm thankful for all your advice and ideas!

Hi Charlotte, I have Crohn's but so far it is limited to my left side colon(specifically the splenic flexure area which was resected in Feb). The only time I have experienced the burning pain-as in hot lava moving through my colon-was when I ate a food additive that I have a severe reaction to(carageenan). If I accidentally eat it I get a flare with the burning pain and then horrible diarrhea 24-36 hours later. Otherwise I normally get the stabbing type pain that I attribute to the stricture.

Hi Charlotte, I have Crohn's but so far it is limited to my left side colon(specifically the splenic flexure area which was resected in Feb). The only time I have experienced the burning pain-as in hot lava moving through my colon-was when I ate a food additive that I have a severe reaction to(carageenan). If I accidentally eat it I get a flare with the burning pain and then horrible diarrhea 24-36 hours later. Otherwise I normally get the stabbing type pain that I attribute to the stricture.
Thank you, Eridon!