• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Keeping clean at work

In the past, I've only had about 2 setons in at one time and keeping clean while at work wasn't too bad. Recently though, I had 2 more setons placed for a grand total of 4. The way they set, it will be much harder to keep them clean. I also just got a new job where I will be working on a factory floor in 12 hour shifts. Any ideas other than flushable wipes to keep clean? I am very conscientious about myself and keeping clean (I'm a bit OCD) and would like any suggestions.

sawdust

When I had a seton, I kept Balneol and those round facial cleansing cloths at work with my "kit." I had a virtual pharmacy in there with additional "dressings" (pads), tucks, wipes, etc. See what you think of the balneol. It was recommended to me by my colorectal surgeon and it certainly helped me do what I needed to do at work.

Ive never had a seaton, but following my abscess surgery I had an open wound that required daily packing (which I popped out everyday on my lunch break to get re-packed by the nurse - madness!)

I would get a lot of leakage/draining from the area and the nurse recommended 'mepilex border' over the wound site - its a genius little dressing, like a plaster with absorbent padding and also DOES NOT stick to the skin or irritate wound sites like other dressings. I would get hardly any embarrassing leaking situations and would feel much more 'clean and comfortable'. Don't know if it would help in your situation - but definitely worth a look. They are quite pricey, but I managed to get them on prescription.

I carried a sitz bath with me and used after every BM and a few times a day. Tell your boss / supervisor about your medical needs. Hopefully the company should be cooperative.

Good Luck

I carried a sitz bath with me and used after every BM and a few times a day. Tell your boss / supervisor about your medical needs. Hopefully the company should be cooperative.

Good Luck
I'd recommend these for anyone with diarrhea, crohns, raw butt, etc. Mine has an IV like bag with a hose that goes to a pan you sit on the toilet. It rinses you clean, I find squeezing the bag helps alot. I also use this without the pan and use the bag & hose to just spray myself clean instead of wiping.

I also bought a small bottle with a nozzle at a craft store (had to hunt) that I can fill at the sink and take in the bathroom at work for a similar effect. Still need to pat dry, but easy on the setons, open wounds, etc. It works pretty well and is more discreet (I can fits easy it in my pocket as I walk to the bathroom.)

As I've become shameless, I just carry my sitz bag. My boss and coworkers are understanding and it makes a world of difference.

sawdust

As I've become shameless, I just carry my sitz bag. My boss and coworkers are understanding and it makes a world of difference.
This is not shameless, nor is there any shame to be had about any of this. Sounds like a good idea to me and I wish I had thought about it. I actually drove home a lunch time for a week or two. Eating your lunch in the car is way better than in the bathtub, just to let you know. Not recommended. ;)

Agreed, not shamless. I really never cared about what people thought. I had a problem that needed to be dealt with and that was that. Everyone at work came to understand and that was that. You gotta do what you gotta do.