• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Self care Managing Stress

Hi, although IBD is said to not be caused by stress, it can increase 'symptoms', triggering a cascade of activity.
During the holidays stress can increase due to being around/with additional family, the extra tension of longer hours endured, the hustle of coming and going, entertaining, and the amount of increased monies spent, and more. Even off season, self care is important and can help.

How do each of you de stress, manage tension, and take time to do self care? This is important for those with IBD and their close family who care for them as well.

I hope each of you have some form to help manage stressful times, and even before stressful times swing around.
Some helpful ways I have learned are:
Meditation, breathing excercices
Prayer and gratitude
Gentle yoga
Learning to center oneself

Crafts and hobbies can also be helpful since they are a great distraction.
Even if you do not share, i hope this will be a reminder to take some time to slow down daily, breath and remember you need to care for yourself too.

Be well, God bless

Hello

Do I need to de-stress?

I am getting back into Lego and have started to build the Disney Castle (an early Xmas present).

I agree with both of you. It is so important to take time out each day and to look after our mental health. Now the stress of moving home is starting to diminish, I am going to start to take time out each day and work on relaxing more.

Happy holidays (I know it is a bit early but...).

Carol

Hi, although IBD is said to not be caused by stress, it can increase 'symptoms', triggering a cascade of activity.

During the holidays stress can increase due to being around/with additional family, the extra tension of longer hours endured, the hustle of coming and going, entertaining, and the amount of increased monies spent, and more. Even off season, self care is important and can help.

How do each of you de stress, manage tension, and take time to do self care? This is important for those with IBD and their close family who care for them as well.

I hope each of you have some form to help manage stressful times, and even before stressful times swing around.

Some helpful ways I have learned are:

Meditation, breathing excercices

Prayer and gratitude

Gentle yoga

Learning to center oneself

Crafts and hobbies can also be helpful since they are a great distraction.

Even if you do not share, i hope this will be a reminder to take some time to slow down daily, breath and remember you need to care for yourself too.

Be well, God bless

I can reduce acute stress quite quickly but it's the chronic stress that's always in the background I don't deal with so well. No matter what you do to escape it's always there when you snap back to reality.

For various reasons I can't rely on horses as much as I used to and my girl has had to take a backseat for a while while I sort myself out. I hate that :(

I can reduce acute stress quite quickly but it's the chronic stress that's always in the background I don't deal with so well. No matter what you do to escape it's always there when you snap back to reality.

For various reasons I can't rely on horses as much as I used to and my girl has had to take a backseat for a while while I sort myself out. I hate that :(
I am so sorry.

The background stress for me is what affects me more. Currently having some issues and trying to lower stress. Things that I know work are:
Hiking with my dog (difficult to do when flairing tho)
Netflix
Adult coloring book (new to this & thought it was kinda silly till I tried it).
Just having quiet time alone with no tv, no noise.

Would love to see what others do, might learn something...
whoops!