• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What kind of cooking oil should I buy???

I'm pretty sure canola oil is causing me problems.. I am going grocery shopping now - what type of cooking oil should I buy? I've heard that both coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil are good... what kind should I buy??

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Personally I have issues with any type of coconut product, so I would go for olive oil (which I have never had a problem with). If you can find small & affordable bottles, maybe give both a try and see how you do. I've heard good things about coconut oil, but some of us just cannot digest coconut products and I'm one of those unlucky ones.

I use organic high heat safflower oil for frying, organic extra virgin olive oil in a lot of things, esp. low or no heat. And organic virgin coconut oil, where we won't notice the taste.

Thank you guys, I only use oil when I cook eggs or ground beef (which is rare since it usually makes me flare) and sometimes with chicken.. I went ahead and bought extra virgin olive oil, hopefully it works for me! :)

I'm pretty sure canola oil is causing me problems.. I am going grocery shopping now - what type of cooking oil should I buy? I've heard that both coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil are good... what kind should I buy??
eggs cooked in coconut oil are a bit weird. (or gross,depending on your point of view)
I'd work my way through paleo fats (including ghee) -(fats are solid at room temp, and oils are liquid) and see what you like.
Olive oil should not be heated to a high temp as it oxidises

Fats Everyone Should Avoid:
Processed oils
Margarines and spreads
Partially hydrogenated oils
Hydrogenated oils
Shortenings
Industrial seed oils (canola, cottonseed, corn, safflower, sunflower, soybean, peanut, grapeseed)

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/?tag=fat-guide

I must be strange because I like eggs with coconut oil. Ghee is great but I find the smell took a bit of getting use to.

When I have the time and resources I like to save and use beef tallow and pork lard from cooking but it's pretty time consuming to do so. I haven't looked too hard but if you can get rendered animal fats that would be a pretty safe option too.

rygon

I wouldnt use extra virgin oil for cooking as it has a very low cooking point (causing it to spit and smoke, and possibly catch on fire). It will burn to quickly and loose all its nutrients in doing so. It is far too expensive as well for cooking.
Saying that, it is great for drizzling over salads and is very good for you.

I use normal olive oil for light frying, but it does have a strong taste to it, and again not good for high temp frying. For cooking in Woks I use peanut oil as it has a high cooking temp and neutral flavour.

I also use ghee, mainly for curries, and it has a lovely rich flavour and is supposed to be quite good for you

nogutsnoglory

I mostly use olive oil for cooking. I have read mixed reports of whether that's good at high temp. I know coconut oil can withstand high temp but I'm not a fan of things tasting coconut-y.

rygon

I find olive oil is good for mince, chicken etc, but if you are using high temps for steaks or stir frying it smokes, spits and flames too much. Most of my cooking is with olive oil as well.

Im much the same as you NGNG about the coconut oil. Ive never tred it but expect it to be quite sweet