• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Emergencyquestion

emergencyquestion

Hey guys got some trouble here. I've been having a lot of pain from my stoma.allow me to explain the way it happens. I will be sitting or standing and I can feel the stool start pushing through and I get this sharp pain as I feel the stool coming out of the stoma. It is a sharp pain and goes away in a few seconds. I'm not sure if I should go to the hospital. Please give me some sort of advice!

My usual advice is if you believe you should go to the ER then go. I have had this happen on occasion but it has never lasted very long and usually occurs when I eat something I shouldn't or if I do not chew enough. I hope you feel better soon.

Nyx

I usually have pain when I have stool coming out, but mine are very formed, hard, and well quite large...so I don't worry about it too much. It's just the way it is for me. And it's certainly not sharp pain, more like "Oh, I have to poop" pain. It's hard to describe. But I'm with Jeff, if you've already thought you need to go to the hospital, maybe you should. It would at least give you peace of mind.

If you are having pain you are not used to you should go the ER. With Crohns its better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Yes, I had that when I had eaten lots of sweet corn! I woke up with bad stomach cramps which didn't go away. Then I got a sharp pain in my stoma and suddenly my bag was full of sweetcorn!!

Let us know what happened!

I've had similar experience, and I grab a hot water bottle, put it against my abdomen and lie on my side with my knees facing up. I also massage my tummy to try to get food moving and drinking lots of water.

And I agree with the others---if you feel you need to be in Emerg, then you need to be there!

Hope things improve quick for you,

Kismet

Terriernut

How are you feeling now? Is this a sudden thing? Or has it been happening off and on?

The nerves on the stoma are cut, so clearly its deeper in. If you have a kink or something, you need the ER. If its something you've eaten...well, we know it will pass.

Please let us know how you are doing!!??

Yes, I had that when I had eaten lots of sweet corn! I woke up with bad stomach cramps which didn't go away. Then I got a sharp pain in my stoma and suddenly my bag was full of sweetcorn!!

Let us know what happened!
Haha misty I bet it wasn't so sweet when it came out tho! :p

Hey guys. Thanks so much for the advice and prayers. I ended up going to the ER and they did a CT scan which showed no blockage. I got pain meds and the next day felt ok. I had eaten sesame seeds twice the past two days before that and I think that's what happened. I just relaxed more with the pain meds as we all know and slowly went away. The stoma looked a little swollen that night but its looked better since then. Learned my lesson on not eating sesame seeds again!

Glad you got it sorted, Crohnsgirl. We learn by these mistakes! It probably shifted itself the time you got the ER. If it happens again, putting on a bag with a larger hole than usual helps the stoma expand to let it out.

maria

I love you God.
This happens to me When I eat coconut. I think it might be skin around the stoma thats sensitive getting stretched out from stoma pushing it. Glad you got it fixed.