• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone with GERD or IBS and pain?

Hey there!
So I just got diagnosed with GERD this week, which explains some of my symptoms (acid reflux, regurgitation, heartburn etc.) BUT I still have an odd pain in my upper left quadrant/under the ribs on the left side that radiates out towards my back. Often feels like something is lodged under my ribs and doesn't quite fit, like I want to stretch out and make room.

I've had a colonoscopy and it showed NADA, still waiting for biopsies but so far the only clear diagnosis is GERD, possible bile reflux, and a small hiatus hernia. If my biopsies and upcoming CT don't show anything, I'll probably get an IBS diagnosis as well.

So I'm wondering if anyone else with GERD (or "IBS"), has pain like this? Could GERD explain this kind of pain? Would IBS? And if you DO have pain similar to this - what have you found helps?

Painkillers do nothing, eating generally aggravates it and it is DRIVING ME NUTS.

nogutsnoglory

I have GERD and had that pain on my right side. They chalked it up to costochondritis for me. Definitely get it checked out to make sure it's not your heart radiating pain.

I have GERD and had that pain on my right side. They chalked it up to costochondritis for me. Definitely get it checked out to make sure it's not your heart radiating pain.
I've been hooked up to machines enough lately and am young enough (25) that heart stuff shouldn't be an issue. That and since I have other GI symptoms, and I feel the pain on palpation, everyone's pretty sure it's got something to do with my GI problems. Thought it was a colon inflammation until I had a clear colonoscopy...

But that's reassuring at least that other people have had similar issues, makes me feel less like a medical mystery :biggrin:

What's the deal with referred pain, anyway? Is it possible to feel pain on palpation when the problem is really coming from somewhere else?

Izzie,
For me it was the GERD causing the pain from my abdomen up the left part of my chest. My doctor just increased the amount of Ranitidine I was taking and it cured the problem.

nogutsnoglory

Pain anywhere can radiate from it's source and be confusing. Even though you are 25, heart problems can occur at any age. An EKG is a 5 min test at your doctor's office.

I suppose it can't hurt to check. I have been getting weird skipped beats lately (though that could also have something to do with the fact that I have anxiety/panic problems and tend to think that any odd sensation in my chest is an oncoming heart attack).

Will bring it up with my doc just to be sure :)

Izzie,

Before the doctor upped my Ranitidine, he gave me an EKG to help rule out my heart as the cause of the pain.

Even though you are 25, heart problems can occur at any age. An EKG is a 5 min test at your doctor's office.
I had my first EKG when I was still a teenager, and had several more, and an echocardiogram (a very thorough test for heart abnormalities) in my twenties. There's never actually been anything wrong with my heart, other than apparently harmless arrhythmias and a fast heartbeat due to a medication I take. But every time a doctor checks my pulse and finds it's fast, they do an EKG. They don't care how young I am, they just know that heart symptoms need checking out, and that an EKG is very easy to do.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I've also got GERD and left chest pain, and for me the two are definitely related. I know this because when I get the left chest pain, if I do nothing then it sticks around for days and sometimes weeks. But if I up my dosage of reflux meds, as another poster said, then the pain goes away. Usually an extra few Tums or an extra ranitidine is all it takes for me to get rid of my left chest pain. The next time you feel that pain, try having some reflux medication (one of the fast-acting ones) and drink plenty of water with it. That will hopefully alleviate the pain.

I've also got GERD and left chest pain, and for me the two are definitely related. I know this because when I get the left chest pain, if I do nothing then it sticks around for days and sometimes weeks. But if I up my dosage of reflux meds, as another poster said, then the pain goes away. Usually an extra few Tums or an extra ranitidine is all it takes for me to get rid of my left chest pain. The next time you feel that pain, try having some reflux medication (one of the fast-acting ones) and drink plenty of water with it. That will hopefully alleviate the pain.
Yeah, I'm on omeprazole and while the pain isn't GONE, it's definitely better. I've been having these odd skipped beats though, but I talked to a nurse and apparently that can happen with GERD? Something about esophageal irritation and... nerve connections, and I don't know. She seemed fairly confident that since I have soooo many other stomach symptoms, it's likely just a side effect of that. But they're gonna check just to be sure. :smile:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
The skipped beats thing - are you taking calcium supplements with your reflux meds, or are you taking reflux meds that contain calcium (such as Tums/calcium carbonate)? I read an article recently that said there's a correlation between calcium supplements and possible heart issues. Apparently taking that much calcium at once isn't super good for the heart. Personally I do notice that my heart rate seems to speed up when I take Tums, so I don't doubt that there's a correlation there. So it may not be the reflux meds but the calcium, if you're taking it. I couldn't find the same article I had read before, but a quick google search found this:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245811.php

The skipped beats thing - are you taking calcium supplements with your reflux meds, or are you taking reflux meds that contain calcium (such as Tums/calcium carbonate)? I read an article recently that said there's a correlation between calcium supplements and possible heart issues. Apparently taking that much calcium at once isn't super good for the heart. Personally I do notice that my heart rate seems to speed up when I take Tums, so I don't doubt that there's a correlation there. So it may not be the reflux meds but the calcium, if you're taking it. I couldn't find the same article I had read before, but a quick google search found this:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245811.php
Right now I'm only on Omeprazole, but I did take a pretty hilarious and horrifying amount of Tums pre-diagnosis. Interesting, I'll bring it up with the doc.

No one seems particularly concerned about any of it though so I'm trying to stay chill. The mere thought of heart issues or even the slightest chest twinge is pretty much a sure-fire way to send me into panic attack mode, and I'm pretty sure that won't be helpful :tongue:

Last edited:
EKG was all normal! So it's looking like it's just some kind of irritation from the reflux or this yet to be diagnosed possible IBD/IBS/whatever it is.

Still don't think the meds are doing much good, I always feel all phlegmy and like I can't clear my throat. Which I've realized is due to reflux.

As someone whose main anxiety/panic attack "thing" has always been not being able to breathe/throat feeling weird/like my tongue is too big for my mouth etc. - GERD is just no fun :p

Izzie,

Within the last two months, both my GI and internist stressed that I should take Omeprozale on an empty stomach, then wait 30 minutes before eating anything. It's made a difference. You might want to ask your doctor. It could help with the strange feeling in your throat. Good to hear the EKG ruled out heart issues.

Izzie,

Within the last two months, both my GI and internist stressed that I should take Omeprozale on an empty stomach, then wait 30 minutes before eating anything. It's made a difference. You might want to ask your doctor. It could help with the strange feeling in your throat. Good to hear the EKG ruled out heart issues.
That's definitely worth a try. I've taken it before breakfast but I don't think I've waited 30 minutes before eating. Thanks for the tip!

I have another appointment with my doctor next week to discuss further treatment options/possibly adding another medication. I'll definitely bring this up with her!

Have you had any work up for Celiac disease or allergies? Even if you don't have celiac disease but have some of the IgG, or IgA antibodies show up high, there could be a celiac sensitivity issue and/or another food sensitivity issue. Gluten is notorious for causing inflammation in the body and if left unchecked can lead to a host of health issues including, but not limited to, thyroid issues, GERD and other GI issues.

Corn, Soy, and dairy products often cause GI and other health issues. The majority of Corn and soy in the United States are GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms). Pasteurized and Homogenized dairy products have all the good properties taken out. Synthetic vitamins are then put into the product. If a person has unknown genetic mutations that cause a problem with cell methylation, they can have vitamin/mineral deficiencies as well as toxicity because their body cannot process synthetic vitamins/minerals, only metholated or activated vitamins/minerals.

An experienced functional medicine doctor can help to get to the root cause of underlying medical issues. They can also run extensive lab work to determine vitamin, mineral and pre-biotic & pro-biotic levels as well as toxin, candida, and bacteria build up in the body.

Conventional doctors throw medicines at symptoms without getting to the root cause of the symptoms.

Hope this helps. Fell free to ask me any questions.:soledance:

Have you had any work up for Celiac disease or allergies? Even if you don't have celiac disease but have some of the IgG, or IgA antibodies show up high, there could be a celiac sensitivity issue and/or another food sensitivity issue. Gluten is notorious for causing inflammation in the body and if left unchecked can lead to a host of health issues including, but not limited to, thyroid issues, GERD and other GI issues.

Corn, Soy, and dairy products often cause GI and other health issues. The majority of Corn and soy in the United States are GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms). Pasteurized and Homogenized dairy products have all the good properties taken out. Synthetic vitamins are then put into the product. If a person has unknown genetic mutations that cause a problem with cell methylation, they can have vitamin/mineral deficiencies as well as toxicity because their body cannot process synthetic vitamins/minerals, only metholated or activated vitamins/minerals.

An experienced functional medicine doctor can help to get to the root cause of underlying medical issues. They can also run extensive lab work to determine vitamin, mineral and pre-biotic & pro-biotic levels as well as toxin, candida, and bacteria build up in the body.

Conventional doctors throw medicines at symptoms without getting to the root cause of the symptoms.

Hope this helps. Fell free to ask me any questions.:soledance:
Totally agree with you re: doctors. My first... 5+ doctors tried to pin my problems on anxiety. Another said I had IBS without running any tests. This last one is the only one who's actually even found a problem. But now they're blaming all my symptoms on GERD, a hiatus hernia and bile reflux. Which, maybe is correct, but I feel like I should get more treatment than flipping Omreprazole, which barely takes the edge off the pain/other issues.

Haven't had a celiac checkup as far as I know - would they see this during an upper scope or colonoscopy? Could be worth a try, I've been trying to avoid gluten just as a precaution because I tolerate so few foods right now. Haven't noticed any improvement but it hasn't been very long either. I did ask my doc about this but she claimed it "wasn't her area". Which isn't very promising :p I'm going to request a referral to a gastroenterologist next time I speak to her. My hospital's waiting list for EVERYTHING is miles long, and you basically have to call and nag/get angry for anything to happen. :shifty:

I've noticed that sugar and carbs in general don't go down so well, not sure why this is.

Soy milk sent me to the ER, I don't know why I reacted so badly to it but never again, I say. And dairy isn't so great atm either.

Thanks so much for the tips! I'm getting very restless wanting for things to at least get to a point where I can go back to school and function somewhat normally...

Totally agree with you re: doctors. My first... 5+ doctors tried to pin my problems on anxiety. Another said I had IBS without running any tests. This last one is the only one who's actually even found a problem. But now they're blaming all my symptoms on GERD, a hiatus hernia and bile reflux. Which, maybe is correct, but I feel like I should get more treatment than flipping Omreprazole, which barely takes the edge off the pain/other issues.

Haven't had a celiac checkup as far as I know - would they see this during an upper scope or colonoscopy? Could be worth a try, I've been trying to avoid gluten just as a precaution because I tolerate so few foods right now. Haven't noticed any improvement but it hasn't been very long either. I did ask my doc about this but she claimed it "wasn't her area". Which isn't very promising :p I'm going to request a referral to a gastroenterologist next time I speak to her. My hospital's waiting list for EVERYTHING is miles long, and you basically have to call and nag/get angry for anything to happen. :shifty:

I've noticed that sugar and carbs in general don't go down so well, not sure why this is.

Soy milk sent me to the ER,
If the Celiac Disease is near end stage or end stage, they will see it on endoscopy. If you are at an early stage or beginning stage, they most likely will not. They will see nutritional deficiency & toxicity in the lab work. If you're limiting or off gluten, then it's best not to get an endoscopy or colonoscopy yet as you may currently be in the process of or starting to heal. Being off gluten can affect the lab work as well. Depends on how much the food and gluten are affecting you.

It sounds like a functional doctor may be the best place to start. They would start with blood test, urine and stool test.

If we go through a traumatic event in our life, be it physical illness, trauma or emotional, where our nutrition level is down and we have a predisposition towards a genetic mutation affecting us, it will!

Carbs affect me as well. I feel like they just sit in my stomach and don't go anywhere. I just feel sick from them. My doc may be right. Going gluten free may not be enough. I may have to be grain free. I can tolerate brown rice but no white rice. White rice is usually very refined.

Watch this video on MTHFR and Methlyation. I'm not saying you have MTHFR, but I want you to get an idea how genetic mutations can affect the overall health and nutritional status. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-NAfB0qE4

Since I had B6 toxicity several years ago form a multivitamin (This should have been the first clue to a methlyation problem.) the doc will check for other SNP mutations. (You'll understand SNP after watching the video.)

I was taking a B12 and B2 supplement when nutritional testing was run (Stopped the vitamins a couple of weeks before testing) and we found that the B12 was high and B2 was deficient. MTHFR is the culprit for those findings. I was taking a synthetic vitamin and not methylated or activated vitamins & minerals. The B12 should come down as the methylated and activated vitamins & minerals begin to affect the methylation process. These supplements are considered pharmaceutical grade and are expensive but well worth it.

Is it possible for you to locate a functional medicine doctor near you? Some insurance covers some or all of seeing a functional medicine doctor, some to not. If you have to pay out of pocket, it's well worth it. If they find things affecting your health, you can always petition the ins co to reimburse you.

Let me know your thoughts after view the video.