• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group

nogutsnoglory

This support group is for those who are out on temporary or permanent disability or whom are unemployed. We can offer one another support and guidance on the issues we face.

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

Is anyone familiar with the unemployment pay system in the U.S.

Do I file in person or online? How long does it take to get approved?

I also need to apply for COBRA. I believe my former job is mandated by law to send me the appropriate paperwork?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Husband says you can apply for unemployment online and that its faster that way.

I receive SSI for Crohn's and don't work. If anyone needs help with applying for SSI I can help answer questions. :)

Is anyone familiar with the unemployment pay system in the U.S.

Do I file in person or online? How long does it take to get approved?

I also need to apply for COBRA. I believe my former job is mandated by law to send me the appropriate paperwork?
yes on the system for almost two years

online is the best way. It takes about two weeks. Once you file you have a wait week. Then the next is cash. Also apply for food stamps. I got almost 200 a month. Check with your hospital theyll get you on cobra

nogutsnoglory

Ill definitely apply online than. I didn't think of food stamps, good idea.

It's very frustrating being unemployed but also not being fully healthy and up to go on interviews and be proactive in the job search.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
So do some counties Ryan. :) You can google search health care for low income in your city and state.

Hi guys. I work in the Unemployment Insurance program here in Utah. I am in the side that collects the funds from the employers, but I have some knowledge. In Utah applicants are required to apply online. If somebody comes into an office to apply they are sat at a computer to file online.

You will have a waiting week, then will start getting benefits. Here the applicants get a card and the benefits are posted on that card every two Weeks.

In Utah the claimant is required to search for a job, but it is only 2 or 3 job applications a week they have to report. The job search can be problematic for us Crohnies.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Don't newspapers count though? I remember my dad only looking for jobs in newspapers when he was on unemployment and he never applied anywhere because there was nothing in his field.

nogutsnoglory

My concern is I think I need to show up weekly at an office to prove I have been looking for a job. I know my parents said that's how it used to be but maybe it changed.

My concern is I think I need to show up weekly at an office to prove I have been looking for a job. I know my parents said that's how it used to be but maybe it changed.
That has probably changed. Most likely that is handled online now. I can't guarantee it, but the trend is to move away from people physically coming in. everything is done online.

In my old state (ive moved since unemployment) online is fine. You'll need to keep a log of how where when you looked for work. The state will call you in for an audit. So when you look for work online use the email as the person you contacted. Otherwise phone or on site grab the persons name.
We have a program that you will do online that puts your resume on the sate employment web site. Every now and then they will send you a job match. You don't have to apply, but you should. Those job report back to the state. In theory if you don't apply for the jobs they sent you could loose your funding.

Hi there, I hope you guys don't mind me asking a question.... How long have you not been able to work? I have been out of work now since my hospitalization for 2.5mos and may have to be out the rest of June. I have just completed my 3rd remicade infusion but had a lot of pain/pressure 1 week prior to it and my GI is afraid it wore off and I didn't make it the 6 weeks, so we are going to see how I will do throughout the next 8weeks... Watch and wait! Anyway, I was wondering is it normal to have to be out this long or longer? My energy levels zapped by the afternoon and i am still trying to get my bowels regulated and put on weight. I am a nurse who works 10 -12 hour shifts. I am currently collecting short term disability but, I just worry about my employer getting to the point of enough is enough.... Does this make any sense? Thank you, I hope I posted in the right area🙏. Thank you, Michele

Meds:
Remicade
6-MP
Hycosamine
Prozac
Vit-12
Calcium with D
Zofran
Birth control
Klonopin
Tylenol
Colace
Mirilax

The longest I have been put was for my surgery.It was 6 Weeks. I was officially on FNMA leave and was paid through my accumulated sick leave.

If you are on FMLA they need to hold a position for your return. It doesn't have to be the same job you left, but it has to pay you the same wages.

If you still live in New York, I'm fairly certain that has changed and you shouldn't have to physically go to the unemployment office, and should be able to take cre of everything on-line. Yes, technically you have to be looking for a job, usually unemployment requires you apply for at least 2 jobs a week, but applying for jobs on-line counts -- just make sure you keep a record of the jobs you apply for, just in case you are ever required to produce proof of your job search, but they rarely check up, and no, I doubt that you will have to actually ever provide proof of your job search.

My old roomate was on the system for almost two years. Just set your job profile super high like only want $12 an hour or higher, no travel, must have medical, only put in a few skills and the minimuim info they require

I've been away from the forum for a while, I've been having an attack of the blues and lost all interest in communicating. Having come across this thread I notice that there are no posts from the UK. I've tried to get some sort of benefit as I'm seriously barely able to leave the house , quite apart from doing a job. Agrophobia brought about by my ileostomy which is VERY active. I've got short bowel syndrome as they've had to remove such a lot of bowel...so how does anyone think I am in the benefit stakes?
I feel I should qualify for disability as I cannot function out of my home. The present UK government has made it almost impossible to qualify for that beneit. Does anyone have any advice for me?:ybatty:

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

While filing my application for unemployment I noticed a section that said are you disabled? It was mandatory to fill out but the options were yes, no or decline to comment.

I read the criteria and disability refers to not just physical handicaps but diseases like Crohn's. I felt unsure how to answer the question not knowing if it could help or hurt me so I declined to comment. I'm not sure if that is seen as a red flag.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've been away from the forum for a while, I've been having an attack of the blues and lost all interest in communicating. Having come across this thread I notice that there are no posts from the UK. I've tried to get some sort of benefit as I'm seriously barely able to leave the house , quite apart from doing a job. Agrophobia brought about by my ileostomy which is VERY active. I've got short bowel syndrome as they've had to remove such a lot of bowel...so how does anyone think I am in the benefit stakes?
I feel I should qualify for disability as I cannot function out of my home. The present UK government has made it almost impossible to qualify for that beneit. Does anyone have any advice for me?:ybatty:
I see no harm in trying Paddy Holmes. Have you read through this? http://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/downloads/disability/AdultGuide.pdf It walks you through how to apply and explains how you're eligible.

Hi all, I am sorry to hear that so many of you can't work! I actually decided to quick my job of 15 years. I went down to part time after being diagnosed, and was only working 20 hrs a week. I sympathize with Dragonfly on not being able to work for long hours of time. I too was in the health care field (Physical Therapist Assistant). It became too mentally and physically challenging for me and I couldn't do much else than work. @Dragonfly, i had a surgery in Feb 2012 and was off work 8 weeks after surgery and then went back with very limited hours, 9 hrs working up to 20 hrs in a 6 week period of time. I had disability time built up so I only had to not be paid for a couple weeks. FMLA is 12 weeks, but that only guarantees a job, not payment for the time off. You also cannot have taken any large amount of time off that year, or it counts as part of the 12 weeks. I am actually doing well intestinal symptom wise and all blood work looks good, but energy levels vary and I need a lot of breaks. I am blessed that I have a husband who can support us for a while. My physician didn't even say anything about disability, so I am thinking he thinks my symptoms don't warrant it. Ok sorry the rambling and I hope this has some helpful info.

Just thought I would post on here as I am going to be leaving my part time job soon. I have been really struggling with it for months and it is making me unhappy. Fortunately now I am in a position where I can afford to not work and we can sufficiently survive on my husbands income. I'm looking at this as a positive thing for a number of reasons; I'm not in a job I can see myself doing for the rest of my life anyway, I can concentrate on finishing my degree, I can have the time and flexibility to travel, rest, volunteer and study from home and I have an opportunity to really get my disease under control before I venture back out into the world of work. Plus my job is just not suitable for a Crohnie at all and my employers have really harsh sickness policies meaning that I have to go through disciplinary processes for having 3 or more absences in a 12 month period and at the minute I am at 2 in the space of 6 months...(one for surgery one for coming down with a bad cold that I still can't get rid of)

My job is very physical and I really struggle with fatigue and some symptoms even though I'm in remission. I am incredibly nervous about handing in my notice though - I keep putting it off! I'm really scared about leaving employment as I've always worked.

@jemmam---Thanks for sharing your story! It sounds a lot like mine, except for going back to school and you look younger! I am 48 and have not worked for almost 2 months now. It is so nice to be able to rest when you need to and do things in life again. I would consider myself in remission as well, but fatigue still seems to be a problem, though it has improved since surgery.
I hope all goes well with handing in your notice. I had the support of my employer, family and friends which helped. I am just trying to get a healthy routine and balance rest with doing things. Not so good at it yet!

Good luck to you Jenmam and keep us informed on how things go!

Kit

Thanks for that lovely reply Kit :) It is so good to actually hear from someone who has been there and done that.

I have the full support of my husband and most of my family (not including the ones that think Crohn's is a walk in the park or a different kind of IBS) which really helps. Fatigue is my biggest enemy right now! It's only been 6/7 months since my surgery after a bad flare so I'm still trying to get everything under control and figure out where I stand at the moment. Bloods show vitamin deficiencies so I'm working on those and hopefully when I have a scope and CT scan later this year things will become more clear. I'm not sure I will have the support of my employer as I don't believe they take me very seriously and I will be leaving them in a very difficult situation by leaving (short staffed etc).

When you left your workplace did you explain to them why you were choosing to leave? I'm expecting them to ask me why I'm leaving/what I'm doing next and I'm not really sure how to answer that. They know I'm struggling as I've told them many times and even got my IBD nurse to write to them but I don't think they realize how unhappy I am.

@jemmam----Well I had an advantage that I worked for a hospital system and I have worked with my manager 15 years. All that said, she knew exactly what I was going through and was watching my performance which was getting worse. I couldn't keep up the pace, and my mind didn't work as fast as it needed too for being a Physical Therapist Assistant.

As for what I told people, my closer friends I told them the job had become too mentally and physically challenging for me. My manager knew everything, but we chose to tell people I was retiring from the hospital system. On my resignation letter I put that I needed to take care of myself for a while and the job had finally taken a toll on me mentally and physically. I might have shared too much, but I am a pretty honest person.

I did have people tell me I need to take care of myself and no one else will. Employers think about the business and need to make decisions accordingly. They can have compassion to a degree, but the bottom line is that they need follow what upper management has outlined for the business. Also you will just find people who aren't supportive.

Unfortunately Crohn's is very hard to explain to someone that doesn't understand sicknesses in general. Here is something my sister found for me. It isn't about Crohn's but another auto-immune disease lupus. It made soo much sense to me. http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

I hope this helps and feel free to ask me questions or private message me if you want. I would love to support you through this.

Hi Kit,

Thought I would let you know that I handed in my notice today! I just explained that I thought it was the best thing for me and although my manager was upset that I'm leaving she understands. I'm going to be helping my husband with his business as well so I also said that I wanted to work from home which is ideal for me. She actually said that I had done so well this past year considering how difficult it has been for me. I honestly feel like the weight of the world has lifted off my shoulders

You have it spot on about business and the extent of their understanding. This is something we have to face wherever we work unfortunately.

I have read the spoon theory before, I love it! It explains everything so much better than I ever could myself.

I have 4 weeks left to go at my job now!

I had to stop working in 2004 after a 20+ year career in IT. I was diagnosed with Crohn's is 1975 at 13, and I always have to be on at least 5mg prednisone to keep Crohn's relatively well controlled. It was getting more and more difficult to work, and when I finally had surgeries in 2004 & 2005, that was it for my career. I was devastated at first, but once I started to reap the benefits of not practically killing myself by working and not having the energy to take the best care of myself, I began feeling much better about not working.

Anyway, just thought I'd say "hi" and offer any advice to those applying for SSDI. Because I had to go to court to get approved, I get reviewed every three years. I'm due for another review this year. Every review is a bit nerve wracking, but my docs support my disability status, and deep down I know I wouldn't be here if I hadn't finally given up working.

Sorry to hear that Crohn's put an end to your career in IT but it does sound like it was the best choice for you and your health is so much more important.

I'm sure there are some people on here who could benefit from some advice about SSDI and best of luck with your next review.

@twokatmew Thanks so much for sharing your story! I am glad you were able to take the steps to be able to take care of yourself. Those are hard decisions to make when you think you should be working. Thanks for the encouragement for the forum. Unfortunately I don't think disability is an option for me due to the fact I really am in remission, I just have fatigue issues still and was stuggling with work and life.
@jemam I hope things are going well for you and you can make it through the next 4 weeks.

nogutsnoglory

What do you guys think are the easiest or best jobs (positions or fields) for someone with IBD to look for when applying?

I am thinking in terms of jobs requiring little energy, flexibility in working from home etc?

A lot of jobs working from home would be great for Crohn's. I don't have experience of working within an office, but I think that could work for some people with Crohn's too. In my opinion, the best job for people with Crohn's is anywhere where the employers are understanding and respectful.

Ughh...I can tell some people in my family don't respect my decision to leave my job. They don't understand what it's like to have Crohn's and their ignorant comments are hurtful. Really have to restrain myself sometimes to stop myself from saying something back. I get that some people are ignorant about IBD but it hurts that my family are when they should be supportive. They saw me when I was really ill in hospital so they should know better. I am 100% certain that leaving work is the best for me, even though I'm reluctant to do it, and they just keep making me feel bad for doing it. Like I'm lazy when actually I put so much effort into being able to even work a single shift that I'm exhausted to the point that I can't do it any more. Sorry for the long post, but I'm feeling a bit low at the minute and writing it down helps.

nogutsnoglory

Jemma don't get down, I'm sure it's frustrating when people don't understand. My family sees firsthand how bad things are so they fully understand it but I think my friends and even less immediate family don't get it and possibly think I'm just a whiner. Nobody ever said that but I get the sense some can't believe one can be so ill so long and that I must be making it up. At the end of the day you know your truth and you need to get yourself better and sometimes that means leaving work.

@Jemam I am soo sorrry that you are feeling down and you aren't getting the support you need from your family. Big hug to you! My husband always tell me you need to listen to your body and figure out how to adjust what you do as needed. For us that means constantly reevaluating what we need to be doing for ourselves to keep healthy. Unfortunately people don't realize when we push too much it throws us in a flare and then more chance of being in the hospital. I have confidence that you will find a career that will be more compatible with the Crohn's and maybe even let you work part time. I am glad you feel like you can vent here!
:hug:

I had to stop working in 2004 after a 20+ year career in IT. I was diagnosed with Crohn's is 1975 at 13, and I always have to be on at least 5mg prednisone to keep Crohn's relatively well controlled. It was getting more and more difficult to work, and when I finally had surgeries in 2004 & 2005, that was it for my career. I was devastated at first, but once I started to reap the benefits of not practically killing myself by working and not having the energy to take the best care of myself, I began feeling much better about not working.

Anyway, just thought I'd say "hi" and offer any advice to those applying for SSDI. Because I had to go to court to get approved, I get reviewed every three years. I'm due for another review this year. Every review is a bit nerve wracking, but my docs support my disability status, and deep down I know I wouldn't be here if I hadn't finally given up working.
I saw your post and was wondering if you had a LTD policy at your job?

I saw your post and was wondering if you had a LTD policy at your job?
Yes, thank goodness. It pays a small portion of my prior salary in addition to what social security pays. The total is nowhere near what I earned while working, but my needs & wants are modest. :)

4 Beta

Good for you!

I'm kinda in the same boat but I don't think I am ready to file yet.
I didn't want to, but complications and sepsis from a botched resection made the decision for me. I was so sick in hospital for so long that my friends got the forms and helped me fill them out. I was still there when SS called for my phone interview. I remember being flat on my back with two pumps and multi-lumen PIC *and* central lines.

I'm sure I never would have made the decision to apply had I not been so ill and not really expected to survive. Looking back, I know I should have applied long before I did. I just never dreamed I'd become so ill. It's a very tough decision to make. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

4 Beta

Wow, my heart goes out to you for being so strong. It's story's like this that make me realize just how serious this disease really is!!!

Thank you so much for sharing!!!

I was very interested to come across this thread as I have just applied for disability. I am just at the beginning of the application process but for me everything so far has been online. I am coming off a 5 year remission and have been really sick the past 4 mo. It was at the suggestion of my doc that I decided to apply...would never have thought of it on my own since I just figured this was my life. I felt almost guilty applying...but since I can not leave my house I figured it was worth a shot. No reason not to hope for the best!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Be sure to appeal bumdeal87 if you're denied. Most people are denied their first time applying. Always appeal. :)

Be sure to appeal bumdeal87 if you're denied. Most people are denied their first time applying. Always appeal. :)
Yes, definitely appeal, and if that's denied, get an attorney and go before a judge. It took three years before I finally got it, but it was retroactive once the judge ruled in my favor. He said I never should have been denied in the first place.

4 Beta

Wow, my heart goes out to you for being so strong. It's story's like this that make me realize just how serious this disease really is!!!

Thank you so much for sharing!!!
Yes, if I've been doing fairly well for even a short while I start to forget just how serious Crohn's can be. Unfortunately I usually get a strong reminder from these guts of mine. ;-)

I'm glad I found this forum. It's important and comforting to have support from others who really understand!

4 Beta

... It was at the suggestion of my doc that I decided to apply...would never have thought of it on my own since I just figured this was my life. I felt almost guilty applying...but since I can not leave my house I figured it was worth a shot. No reason not to hope for the best!
I think many of us have to be prodded by others to apply. My rule for myself was "if I can drag myself out of bed, I am fit for work." As my health tanked, my worst fear was that I'd end up unable to work and on disability. Having to fight for it when I was terribly ill (and housebound) while feeling guilty about not being able to work was horrible. It took years to overcome my guilt over being unable to work. Even now I sometimes miss my former career, but honestly, ending up on disability probably saved my life. And sick or not, I'm glad to be alive.

Docs don't suggest patients apply for disability without good reason, and without the stress and strain on your body from pushing yourself so hard to work, you just may regain some health.

Best of luck to you!

4 Beta

@bumdeal87 Support and hugs go to you during this process. I agree with twokatmew "without the stress and strain on your body from pushing yourself so hard to work, you just may regain some health"

@Twokatmew I felt guilty about not working too, but I didn't have much of a life outside work and was stressed all the time. Unfortunately I don't feel like i can apply for disability since my Crohn's symptoms and bloodwork seem to show I am in remission. I just don't have the energy anymore to continue with the career I was in.

Thanks for listening. sigh.

Kit

nogutsnoglory

It's so unfair that the process is so brutal and long and 80% are denied at first. I found through experience with insurance and other areas persistence is key. You need to be a bug up their behind and let them know you aren't going away till you have justice

My rule for myself was "if I can drag myself out of bed, I am fit for work." As my health tanked, my worst fear was that I'd end up unable to work and on disability.

This sounds so familiar...I too use the same rule.

My biggest fear is the inevitable fight with SSDI and my employer. Plus I fear not being able to pay for my infusions.

Just seems to be a lot of worry all of the time.

I think many of us have to be prodded by others to apply. My rule for myself was "if I can drag myself out of bed, I am fit for work." As my health tanked, my worst fear was that I'd end up unable to work and on disability. Having to fight for it when I was terribly ill (and housebound) while feeling guilty about not being able to work was horrible. It took years to overcome my guilt over being unable to work. Even now I sometimes miss my former career, but honestly, ending up on disability probably saved my life. And sick or not, I'm glad to be alive.

Docs don't suggest patients apply for disability without good reason, and without the stress and strain on your body from pushing yourself so hard to work, you just may regain some health.

Best of luck to you!

4 Beta
Thanks for the encouragement!
I feel the same way...so very guilty and non productive!
My husband doesn't want me to work either but I see the stress he's under so it's a vicious cycle.
I haven't heard anything back but I picked up my own medical records to drop off at the SS office. Maybe that will speed the process along?

I agree with the whole doc suggestion. Just still hard to sit back.

Thanks for your input makes me feel better and I do need the rest at this time!

Hugs to you and I hope you have a great day!

@bumdeal87 Support and hugs go to you during this process. I agree with twokatmew "without the stress and strain on your body from pushing yourself so hard to work, you just may regain some health"

@Twokatmew I felt guilty about not working too, but I didn't have much of a life outside work and was stressed all the time. Unfortunately I don't feel like i can apply for disability since my Crohn's symptoms and bloodwork seem to show I am in remission. I just don't have the energy anymore to continue with the career I was in.

Thanks for listening. sigh.

Kit
Sorry Kit, I loved my career also and just couldn't keep up with the stress and demand. Applied for less stressful jobs and I am over qualified. I wonder if SSI will take that into consideration??
I hear you on the exhaustion. Can hardly drag myself out of bed to feed the kids let alone make it to a job. Anyway...thinking of you and I hope you find a solution soon!

Thanks for the encouraging words! I am feeling better not working, but still feel a little disorganized. At least now i feel like I have some time to try to take care of myself. I am hoping at some time to feel like I can think of different career choices. thanks for this feed!

I have a question about ADA and my employer. Do I need to officially declare my Crohn's diagnosis with my employer in order to be protected under ADA or am I protected simply because I have been diagnosed?

nogutsnoglory

You only need to declare it if you seek accommodations.

"Do I have to declare my disability?
No, the ADA says you aren’t required to declare your disability. This applies to people with noticeable disabilities as well, such as those who are blind or use wheelchairs. However, until you disclose your disability to the appropriate person, such as a supervisor, your company is under no obligation to provide you with accommodations."

http://www.resumeadvantagepro.com/2011/07/13/declaring-a-disability-to-an-employer/

'ObamaCare' rolls out in full at first of the year, 2014.

I'm on an early expansion of it in Colorado after being on an indigent care State program here, a better State program in Washington, self-employed insurance through Blue Cross, and, first, a superb Teamster Union based plan.

I lost my house in 2010 in Washington State - in part due the financial crisis, in part due non-IBD health reasons (maybe not entirely unrelated!) and I've been doing a lot of hiking and camping since - in drier climes than Washington State.

Stress issues have unfortunately pursued me here, but I'm still much happier being a 50 year old version of the stereotypical outdoor 'ski bum' type than I was before. If you live a simple life, food stamps combined with a food bank and an occasional soup kitchen can go a long ways - I've been living on a very small disability payment and slowly selling off my old possessions via ebay and craigslist.

The relation between stress and IBD is a big concern of mine as it applies to social security as my stress is definitely workplace related.

nogutsnoglory

Does anyone know how much disability pays on average? I don't know if its a federal or state thing. Also I think you need to have worked 10 years to be eligible. I don't have that much time under my belt because I'm younger and went to school. I did hear about another disability plan SSDI? I don't know if I want to go this route because I'm praying in time ill be ok to return to work and I know the process is insane. I feel like applying is saying I'm not going to get better and I'm basically giving up.

Does anyone know how much disability pays on average? I don't know if its a federal or state thing. Also I think you need to have worked 10 years to be eligible. I don't have that much time under my belt because I'm younger and went to school. I did hear about another disability plan SSDI? I don't know if I want to go this route because I'm praying in time ill be ok to return to work and I know the process is insane. I feel like applying is saying I'm not going to get better and I'm basically giving up.
It's very difficult to pin down an average because it's based on your past work history. You could go to SS website and login to find out your exact history and I believe it will inform you on your eligibility.

@nogutsnoglory I agree with Donk on it depends on how long you have worked and what you made for social security disability. I get a statement normally once a year that will state the social security benefits and disability benefits.

Here is a website I found that defines the two types of Disability.
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/ans...social-security-disability-and-ssi-disability

Check the links underlined in descriptions for more detail.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy the Day!

Last edited:
Hey All! Like several of you mentioned I was denied. It seems like even though we lost my full income my husband makes to much for me to qualify. Not sure if it would pay to seek the help of a lawyer at this point. Still can't pay the bills but they didn't really care about that to much. :( I am not surprised after reading what others went through...not sure what to do now.

Correct, social security disability is not dependent on income, but you must have worked long enough (and earned enough) to qualify. I don't know how many "work credits" are required, because it wasn't an issue for me, as I'd worked full time for 25 years. SSI is dependent on income, but that's a whole different animal.

HD

Sorry, I can't give any advice about disability as I know it works a lot differently in the UK as it does in the US.

I just wanted to post that it is my last day at work tomorrow. I have been counting down the four weeks notice as it's been very tough at times. Had 2 or 3 really bad shifts where I just wanted to give up and walk out or cry, but I didn't :). A bit apprehensive about not doing anything and where I'm going from here, but I'm just relieved that I won't have to struggle in that job anymore. Thanks for all your help when I posted on here before.

Sorry, I can't give any advice about disability as I know it works a lot differently in the UK as it does in the US.

I just wanted to post that it is my last day at work tomorrow. I have been counting down the four weeks notice as it's been very tough at times. Had 2 or 3 really bad shifts where I just wanted to give up and walk out or cry, but I didn't :). A bit apprehensive about not doing anything and where I'm going from here, but I'm just relieved that I won't have to struggle in that job anymore. Thanks for all your help when I posted on here before.
I wish good luck and improved health.

:hug: Thanks for the update Jemmam! I wish you much health in your next adventure. Take care of yourself! Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Kit

Help

:rof:I sent in an online application for SSDI and not even 24 hours was up and I got a phone call denying me because I have not worked and paid social security for the last 5 out of 10 years. I put in 24 years at a school district that didn't pay SS. So I'm thinking do I get a lawyer, didn't understand why they wouldn't let me use my husbands, but not until he files, and he's younger than me, I'm 57 and I use the bathroom constantly and have back and neck problems from a wreck a year ago and I'm very depressed. Have a scheduled colonoscopy tomorrow.
Any ideas out there as far as SSDI ?

nogutsnoglory

Morrish you posted fine. Posts show up in the order in which they are posted, so your new post is going to be last but people will see it. I don't know the answer to your question I'm sorry but hopefully someone knows more on SSDI.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Morrish I don't know much about SSDI so if it were me I'd want to talk to a lawyer to see what your options are and they should be able to make the process go by faster. I receive SSI and about a year back or so I got a letter in the mail from Social Security that informed all people who receive SSI that if they are still getting it after the age of 55 then they will have to start paying back money they received. I can't find the exact information on the Social Security site and no longer have the letter but it may be a good idea to speak with a lawyer before trying to apply for SSI if you can't get SSDI. This member hasn't been active in a while but I'm going to try tagging scifi-enthusiast anyway. They applied for and eventually received both SSI and SSDI.

Here's quick info on both SSDI and SSI: http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Social-Security-Disability-Benefits

I am sorry, I don't have any information on SSDI as well. I would find a lawyer or Social Security person who has information on what are your options.

I'm getting reviewed again because I work part time and changed jobs. My lawyer said to fill out paperwork honestly and if anything goes wrong I can appeal. I mean, I'm about to go on tysabri and I have a med port in my right ventricle of my heart. Losing this would be a death sentence for me. Has anyone ever dealt with this?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Tiger09, if its for Social Security then talk about your worst days possible only. I'm surprised your lawyer isn't filling it out. Mine filled out all of my paperwork.

I receive SSI and go up for review from time to time. Its usually a phone call with them asking if I've been hospitalized in the past year for at least 30 days or more. They never ask about my medications or my health in general. All that ammo is used during the appeal. I've only lost SSI once due to working part time but I got a lawyer and he took care of everything. It took about 3 months to get it back but I got it back on the first try.

Yeah they want my work history and how I take breaks and what kind of work I do. I had to take a job as a bartender/server and it sucks. I'm trying to get an office job, but its hard.

Subscribing to this thread! I may be entering this unemployment territory, just don't know how bad this Crohn's is going to end up being. Trying to get all the info I can. Thanks all!

I applied for disability and got approved after about 7 months. Luckily I had 401k to lean on during the arduous process.

Crohns or colitis does not automatically qualify you for disability.

Some folks make the mistake of doing little else in their application than proving they have IBD, and get denied. When answering the questions on the forms, it is important to go into detail about how it affects you and your ability to work.

Lots of people have IBD and are able to hold a job just fine. You must describe and demonstrate that not only do you HAVE IBD, but that the condition prevents you from working, or gets you fired for absenteeism or drug side effects, or any of the 1000 ways IBD can wreck our ability to work.

nogutsnoglory

Glad it worked for you PDXDave, I know many are struggling to qualify for disability, not just for IBD but a range of debilitating conditions. It's probably best to err on the side of including as much information and proof as possible and be ready to appeal and fight for your case.

nogutsnoglory

Does anyone know what happens when you are on unemployment but file your weekly claim and answer "no" to the questions were you ready, able and willing to work this week? I wonder if my claim won't go through or someone will call me. I have no clue what happens but I wanted to be honest.

The people in both agencies seem to realize that there is a built-in catch-22 in the unemployment/disability process that "forces" people to either become homeless or provide "flexible" interpretations to certain questions.

If states went back and audited every person who was approved for disability and prosecuted them for fraud because they claimed they were able to work, the whole process would become a train wreck. We don't see them doing this for the most part. In certain cases, they may do it because there are other red flags that make them think fraud is happening, but in the vast majority of cases, they understand the harsh reality of this catch-22, and they look the other way.

It is also important to know this: During the disability process, you do not legally KNOW FOR A FACT that you are disabled. You aren't disabled until they SAY you are disabled. So when you report to unemployment that you are able to work, you are accepting that your legal "default" status - until deemed otherwise - is "able to work" for the purposes of unemployment insurance. Not until you are officially found to be disabled are you officially unable to work.

Until then, you will gladly accept a job even though you are almost certain to be fired immediately when they learn you have serious limitations due to your disability.

It is a gray area of opinion versus legal status. You may be of the OPINION you are disabled, but your LEGAL status, until proven otherwise, is that you are able to work.

So you are being honest within the framework of the convoluted legalese that the various bureaucracies have created.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't make any decisions based on what I say..... I'm just giving you my layman's interpretation of a very conflicted system.

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me out here. I'm 28 years old. I have severe Crohn's Disease. I've had two bowel resections already and I was diagnosed in 2010. I worked for a company for 2 years, but was let go after having to go on disability due to a massive flare I had back August '12. I couldn't return to work until November. In December, I was let go from the job and applied for unemployment insurance, as I know getting SSI is very difficult. In January I went back on short term disability through unemployment because of my second bowel resection. In May of this year, I began to get extremely sick - I lost 30 lbs. I had almost every test done in the book to find out what was wrong with me. Finally, after ruling everything else out - I had to have my gallbladder removed on September the 6th. I am back on disability through unemployment. I report every week that I have been unable to work for 4 or more days. (My 26 weeks of unemployment are up though because I was unable to report to my local office for Emergency Unemployment because the day I had to go was the day of my surgery.)

Even when I was working - I had to take so many sick days. So many managers would tell me that I needed to be there, etc. But what can you do when you have a fever, your vomitting, going to the bathroom every 5 minutes, feel like your stomach is going to rip apart, and every joint you have is enflamed? It's so difficult. (Which I'm sure you all know)

I have a Crohn's Advocate who has told me that I need to look into SSI - as I also suffer from Migraines that 3% of the country suffer from. (Lucky me.) I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back. My arthritis - which is said to be assosciated with my Crohn's - never feels better. I am also severely anemic and have to begin getting iron infusions weekly (ordered by my GI when I was in the hospital. I was .3 away from needing a blood transfusion.)

1 Week following my surgery I began to have severe back pain on the left side of my body. I literally cannot stand up straight. I'm going to my surgeon on Tuesday, but it doesn't look good. :/

I also suffer from Panic Disorder, Depression, & Severe Anxiety. I take so much medicine, I could open a pharmacy. Yuck!

What are the first steps you need to take in order to get SSI benefits? I've been told that because I have so many other health issues, I will most likely qualify, but who knows. Any help would be so much appreciated!

I'm a New Yorker too if that helps. I genuinely don't know what else to do because I cannot support myself in any way, shape, or form - and my parent's really can't either at this point.

Thanks in advance!!

nogutsnoglory

Taylor so sorry for the hell you have been through and continue to suffer. Fellow New Yorker here suffering and can't work either. I'm on unemployment but am honest each week saying I was unable to work the 4 days. Are they deducting these from the overall time we are allotted unemployment? That seems unfair. I'm not sure how much we get anyway but think its 18 months.

If you only worked two years, you are like me as we are both young and don't have the 10 years work experience to be eligible for SSI. I haven't explored it deeply since I pray I can get better eventually and resume a job. I think you need to look into SSDI. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but others here have a lot of experience with the hassle and rejections they faced. Good luck.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Switch those around nogutsnoglory and you've got it right. ;)

You do not have to work a certain amount of time to qualify for SSI. You do however for SSDI. http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

taylorali, if you're thinking about possibly applying for SSI, then just start the process now by applying because getting accepted can take a long time. Plus if you're denied your first time applying (which many people are mainly to weed out the people who don't really need it) then the appeal process also takes time (ALWAYS APPEAL). If you decide that you don't want it by the time you're accepted then you don't have to take it and no harm done.

You need a good doctor to back up your claims. You could have a lawyer in the beginning if you want or you can wait until you're denied then have them file the appeal (or solo it the whole time without a lawyer). When filling out any forms talk about your worst days possible. Here's information on how to apply: http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-apply-ussi.htm

This is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as of 2008 http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Disability-and-Crohns-USA

We all qualify under 2A and 2B for Major Life Activities.

nogutsnoglory

Oops thanks for the correction. This is an intimidating area that I hope I won't have to pursue. Disability and unemployment claims have been stressful enough when you are sick as a dog.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Oops thanks for the correction. This is an intimidating area that I hope I won't have to pursue. Disability and unemployment claims have been stressful enough when you are sick as a dog.
That's why I prefer a lawyer to handle my SSI case. ;)

What about someone who is working now but feels that they are wearing down as a result of the many illness surrounding Crohns?

Any advice?

What about someone who is working now but feels that they are wearing down as a result of the many illness surrounding Crohns?

Any advice?
I guess what I am asking is do I need to get my GI doc on board with me wishes first or should I see a lawyer first.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'd talk to your doctor about it Donk4263. You can still be working and apply for SSI and/or SSDI as you do need money to pay for rent, bills, food, etc. Some lawyers work with their own doctors as well (mine does) and wont need your current doctors to say anything at all.

Thankyou for all the info on this subject. I want to file for disability because I had a diagnosis and others for other things, I cannot work a fulltime job, no way. I need to get help for this and going to apply. I apreciate your help.:)

Jennifer, I live in Oregon and am facing having surgery very soon. I am currently in the process of applying for SSI but don't have a hearing until sometime next year. I'm curious as to if I will be eligible for short term disability? Or even if such a thing exists, I don't know.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
You can stop receiving SSI at anytime. They also have programs to help you get back to work or college. I don't know anything about disability benefits for now until you're accepted through Social Security but what you could do is go to your local Social Services (might be called Department of Human Services) office and see what programs they might have for low income individuals (such as Cash Aid, food stamps, programs to help with utilities etc). http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/assistance/Pages/index.aspx

My mom had a job helping needy people get assistance and she would try again and again and finally, it would usually happen. Then, when she became disabled, she made one attempt to get on disability and gave up. Thankfully, her father had set up a small trust fund for her.

I'd talk to your doctor about it Donk4263. You can still be working and apply for SSI and/or SSDI as you do need money to pay for rent, bills, food, etc. Some lawyers work with their own doctors as well (mine does) and wont need your current doctors to say anything at all.
I guess I will need to discuss with my doc during my next appt.

Thanks for your help.

SSDI for me?

Hi. I was diagnosed with Crohns in 1987 (but my mother swears I've had it since I was a kid -- probably right). I've had three major surgeries (first surgery bowel perforation while six months pregnant -- bag for six months thank God son was born perfect especially after anethesia and pain meds); two bowel resections.

I've been dealing with minor blockages due to major inflammation at resection sites. Also anal stricture. Last colonoscopy had to use pediatric scope and would not pass through. Now due for another colonoscopy.

I am on short term disability now but I am considering applying for SSDI. 51 now and fighting this disease for more than half my life is starting to take a toll on me physically and mentally.

I am nervous to apply since my family has always told me to "buck up" and fight it. They don't realize how exhausting this disease is and now that my parents are falling in health (since I am only daughter I take care of parents) I am exhausted not to mention joint pain.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Or SSI. I don't know which one is the correct one. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm 51 too and it's no time to let family dictate our lives. You are a grown up and you need to do what's right for you. Don't let them make you feel bad about applying for SSDI.

It's sexist to have only the daughter take care of the parents. Your brother(s) should be helping as well, since many hands make work light. Why is sexism any more acceptable than racism? What if the black child was 'supposed' to take care of the parents? Everyone would freak. Females are people and should be treated equal to males.

:hug:

Thanks Amy. I agree but since my parents were there for me when I was sick I want to be there for them now. It is sexist but they are in their eighties and my mom was just diagnosed with cancer ( fast spreading) I want to be here. :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Annieor24 and welcome to the forum! :D

It can take a while to get accepted for SSI or SSDI so the best thing to do now would be to just go ahead and apply and if you decide that you don't want it later on you can always change your mind.

Here's the difference between the two (it is possible to get both): http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

Go in to your local Social Security office and start the process right away. A lawyer can help to speed up the process and they only get a percentage of your winnings (this includes back pay from when you first applied but I believe Social Security only gives a few months of back pay). If you're denied don't get discouraged. Most people are denied their first time applying so you MUST appeal. Good luck. :)