• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Conflict of Interest???

How can CCFA (Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America) join with Nestle on IBS disease research.

This is so reminiscent of the tobacco industry and the sugar industry dictating policy through "research" they funded.

Nestle makes a plethora of awful products that have contributed to the ill health of millions.

:ymad:

It's an interesting one, certainly. Nestle have at last woken up to the zoonotic potential of MAP and are conducting research to eliminate it from dairy products:
http://aem.asm.org/content/early/2016/02/29/AEM.04042-15.abstract

I suspect they know, like many people on this forum do, that MAP is the primary candidate for causing both IBS and Crohn's.

Or maybe they just see big pharma as a more profitable venture than their current food products?: https://www.statnews.com/2016/03/30/nestle-drug-supplements/

Nestle HealthScience supplies a number of the polymeric, semi elemental and elemental nutritional formulas that are used in supplemental enteral nutrition and exclusive enteral nutrition.

Enteral nutrition has been shown to have the same efficacy as pred at dampening the inflammation as a first line med with CD.

Also studies have shown that various grades of enteral nutrition have induced remission and are used by some pediatric IBD centers as the treatment plan while other have used it as adjunct therapy.

Kids need nutrients to grow. CD can stunt growth due to malabsorption issues from the active inflammation enteral nutrition with formulas like peptamen provide the nutrition in a broken down formulas that is more able to be absorbed.

Nestles plethora of products in the medical food/nutrition are probably the main reason for this partnership. Not their chocolate bars.

I would assume nestle is already a big established business with lots of capital to invest, as of right now I can only see this as a good thing.

I would prefer if research foundations remained separate from industries that profit from diseases. I'm in the research field and know how easy it is for groupthink and bias pressures to arise. Nestle has plenty of money and resources and does not need the CCFA. The CCFA should not be involved with industry/pharma, however we all know the lure of money is too strong...

I would prefer if research foundations remained separate from industries that profit from diseases. I'm in the research field and know how easy it is for groupthink and bias pressures to arise. Nestle has plenty of money and resources and does not need the CCFA. The CCFA should not be involved with industry/pharma, however we all know the lure of money is too strong...
You are absolutely right.

kiny

Nestle makes a plethora of awful products that have contributed to the ill health of millions.
Bah, Nestle and Nutricia are the only two companies making EN for people with Crohn's disease. Nestle makes Modulen EN for adults and Peptamen EN for kids. Both these products are used in hospitals throughout the world, and many people use these products at home.

They also make hydrolyzed whey protein, I don't know any other company who makes these kind of proteins without additives.

I don't like how CCFA is so closely involved with some companies either, but this is one of those cases where I would say...pick your battles...tons of people on this forum are using EN from Nestle.

Nestle have said they will focus on more tailor made nutrition for patients with IBD, let's wait and see before we break down one of the few companies providing EN to people with CD and one of the few companies willing to invest in helping people with CD.

Last edited:

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds is one of those on EEN
First from nestle for the past five years and now on nutricia without it he would be hospitalized since he can't tolerate any food at all right now